Topics

Great sounds of AM Stereo

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

For those who have never heard the sound of Stereo AM before? Enjoy.
For those who lived through the period of Stereo AM and who owned a Stereo AM tuner or radio? Sit back and remember.
I found this sample of Stereo AM - from radio station 3MP in Melbourne - on Youtube.
I’d love to know what type of tuner this recording was made from as the band width is quite wide.
My Sony tuner was capable of this but only after it had been adjusted.
Anyway hear for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPPOEIfU0bo&t=3573s

Hamit Campos

Wow dude that was so good. Almost FM good.

On 8/15/2019 8:23 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
For those who have never heard the sound of Stereo AM before? Enjoy.
For those who lived through the period of Stereo AM and who owned a Stereo AM tuner or radio? Sit back and remember.
I found this sample of Stereo AM - from radio station 3MP in Melbourne - on Youtube.
I’d love to know what type of tuner this recording was made from as the band width is quite wide.
My Sony tuner was capable of this but only after it had been adjusted.
Anyway hear for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPPOEIfU0bo&t=3573s

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Yep and that was before the advent of Digital Broadcasting formats.

Wow dude that was so good. Almost FM good.

On 8/15/2019 8:23 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
For those who have never heard the sound of Stereo AM before? Enjoy.
For those who lived through the period of Stereo AM and who owned a Stereo AM tuner or radio? Sit back and remember.
I found this sample of Stereo AM - from radio station 3MP in Melbourne - on Youtube.
I’d love to know what type of tuner this recording was made from as the band width is quite wide.
My Sony tuner was capable of this but only after it had been adjusted.
Anyway hear for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPPOEIfU0bo&t=3573s

Brian Olesen

Hi,
Wow!
What more can I say?
Brian

For those who have never heard the sound of Stereo AM before? Enjoy.
For those who lived through the period of Stereo AM and who owned a Stereo AM tuner or radio? Sit back and remember.
I found this sample of Stereo AM - from radio station 3MP in Melbourne - on Youtube.
I’d love to know what type of tuner this recording was made from as the band width is quite wide.
My Sony tuner was capable of this but only after it had been adjusted.
Anyway hear for yourself.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPPOEIfU0bo&t=3573s

Steve Jacobson

Dane,

My old Carver TX 11A or 11B or whatever it was could receive Stereo AM of this quality. They even had a 10KHZ notch filter to avoid hearing that tone if it was generated by an adjacent station in the United States. I suspect they had models to filter out the 9 KHZ tone in much of the rest of the world. The biggest gripe I had with my Carver tuner was that it was not very sensitive on AM. It also had a very nice FM section in it as well with some interesting noise cancelling options.

While we don't have stereo AM in the United States any longer, there are still AM stations with very nice audio that use a fairly wide bandwidth. However, the audio on AM now is very much limited by the bandwidth used by most radios of today, and I understand that the need isn't as strong as it once was with streaming and other options.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

For those who have never heard the sound of Stereo AM before? Enjoy.
For those who lived through the period of Stereo AM and who owned a Stereo AM tuner or radio? Sit back and remember.
I found this sample of Stereo AM - from radio station 3MP in Melbourne - on Youtube.
I’d love to know what type of tuner this recording was made from as the band width is quite wide.
My Sony tuner was capable of this but only after it had been adjusted.
Anyway hear for yourself.
https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIPPOEIfU0bo%26t%3D3573s&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C2676da24eea64cf7c52008d721dff5d0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637015118088352475&amp;sdata=T9W7QtOsV3qA0ghtdkOpTgnZzEh1LcH4BKy3OONSAGI%3D&amp;reserved=0

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Some of your AM stations are now broadcasting using HD.
I know someone who has a Sangean HDR16 HD radio and he has forwarded me recordings of HD sound from AM which doesn't sound too bad.
It sounds as though Am Stereo tuners were as different as standard tuners were.
I had one which I built from a kit which was extremely sensitive whilst my Sony tuner was as deaf as a doorpost.

For those who have never heard the sound of Stereo AM before? Enjoy.
For those who lived through the period of Stereo AM and who owned a Stereo AM tuner or radio? Sit back and remember.
I found this sample of Stereo AM - from radio station 3MP in Melbourne - on Youtube.
I’d love to know what type of tuner this recording was made from as the band width is quite wide.
My Sony tuner was capable of this but only after it had been adjusted.
Anyway hear for yourself.
https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIPPOEIfU0bo%26t%3D3573s&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C2676da24eea64cf7c52008d721dff5d0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637015118088352475&amp;sdata=T9W7QtOsV3qA0ghtdkOpTgnZzEh1LcH4BKy3OONSAGI%3D&amp;reserved=0

Steve Jacobson

Dane,

Yes, I am aware of AM HD here, of course, and I do own a Sangean AM/FM HD Tuner. However, it feels as though AM HD is gradually failing, although it is hard to know what will happen. The sound is very good, but it takes very little static to cause the HD signal to not be useable and one is switched back to analog. In addition, the HD signal requires a significant limitation to the analog bandwidth so AM HD stations tend to have analog sound that is not as wide in bandwidth as other AM stations that do not have an HD signal. I live in the Metropolitan Minneapolis-St. Paul area of Minnesota, and at one point we had three AM HD stations, however we now have none at all. AM HD seems to have taken a better hold in some other large cities, though. It is fun, on occasion, to listen to HD signals from Chicago during the evening, some 400 miles, 670 kilometers, away. Those are very strong AM signals, though.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

For those who have never heard the sound of Stereo AM before? Enjoy.
For those who lived through the period of Stereo AM and who owned a Stereo AM tuner or radio? Sit back and remember.
I found this sample of Stereo AM - from radio station 3MP in Melbourne - on Youtube.
I’d love to know what type of tuner this recording was made from as the band width is quite wide.
My Sony tuner was capable of this but only after it had been adjusted.
Anyway hear for yourself.
https://eur03.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIPPOEIfU0bo%26t%3D3573s&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7Cf7da9f522f084d09c0a408d722751b21%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637015758670462283&amp;sdata=nnMLBfAZL89pwR2dM0jRxSLqNcprB2ZLRXxfYhNhDRo%3D&amp;reserved=0

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Always interesting to hear from you on this topic.
My friend with the HDR16 says that the radio is incredibly tolerant of interference and stays stubbornly locked to the HD signal though in the reverse you can't switch off HD and just stay on analogue without tuning off the station slightly, an oversight I think on Sangean's part.

[...]

Evan Reese

I remember playing around with two radios to get AM stereo in the 1980s here in the U.S. If I tuned each of them just right, I could get pretty decent stereo between them.

Evan

For those who have never heard the sound of Stereo AM before? Enjoy.
For those who lived through the period of Stereo AM and who owned a Stereo AM tuner or radio? Sit back and remember.
I found this sample of Stereo AM - from radio station 3MP in Melbourne - on Youtube.
I’d love to know what type of tuner this recording was made from as the band width is quite wide.
My Sony tuner was capable of this but only after it had been adjusted.
Anyway hear for yourself.
https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DIPPOEIfU0bo%26t%3D3573s&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C2676da24eea64cf7c52008d721dff5d0%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637015118088352475&amp;sdata=T9W7QtOsV3qA0ghtdkOpTgnZzEh1LcH4BKy3OONSAGI%3D&amp;reserved=0

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I did that myself before I had a dedicated stereo AM receiver and the effect was certainly there.

-----Original Message----- From: Dane Trethowan