Tom Kaufman

From: marianne Interest

Hi Tom,

If you use Windows 7 as I do, this may be of interest to you.

Windows 7's Windows Media Player app is about to get worse

By

Matt Hanson

3 hours ago

Software

No more metadata

As Windows 7 hurtles towards its end of life date (January 14 2020), it
looks like Microsoft is beginning to strip features from the ageing
operating system,

and it has now removed a key feature from Windows 7's Windows Media Player.

According to

a support document

that Microsoft quietly updated a few days ago, "you may be unable to view
information (metadata) such as the title, genre, and artist for songs, and
the

director, actors, cover art, and TV guide for movies in Windows Media Center
and Windows Media Player."

This move also affects the Windows Media Center app found in Windows 7,
Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

So, it looks like when you import music or videos into Windows Media Player
in Windows 7, titles, artist names and other information won't be
downloaded.

This is a major blow to the usefulness of the app, in our view.

Why?

Microsoft looked at customer feedback and usage data regarding the feature
and decided to discontinue it, so it probably means not many people were
using

it.

If you were, it might mean it's time to finally upgrade from Windows 7 - as
you'll probably want to anyway before January 14 next year - or start using

an alternative such as

VLC Media Player.

While the removal of this feature is disappointing, Microsoft has promised
that metadata that's already been downloaded will still be available - it
just

won't download metadata for new media you add.

Microsoft has also explained that this change won't affect any of the app's
media playing functionality, such as playback, media stream and other major

features.

Still, it's a reminder that it's probably worth thinking about upgrading to

Windows 10.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

What you forwarded to the list comes as no surprise to me and yes Microsoft do analyse usage data of their Apps.
Windows Media centre hadn't - when I last used it - been updated for a good while and had at that time fallen behind many other alternatives.
I now use Plex to handle everything that Windows Media Center did though - given I use Windows 10 - I couldn’t have used Windows Media Center even if I’d wanted to as Windows Media Center doesn’t come as part of Windows 10.
I very much liked Windows Media Center however because of the infrequent updates known problems with the App just weren’t fixed whereas Plex and VLC are updated frequently.
As for upgrading to Windows 10? There are plenty of good reasons to do so including better handling of audio and video devices, a far more stable operating system etc.
Anyway its the individuals call.

On 29 Jan 2019, at 3:06 pm, Tom Kaufman <tomcat53@...> wrote:

If you are running Windows 7 and like to use Windows Media Player, this may
be something you'll want to read!

Tom Kaufman

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Hamit Campos

Yeah I wandered about this all along with the talk of Microsoft ending support for 7. Cause I loved Media Center. Had I kept 7 it woulda been for Media Center.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

I'm just so glad that we have alternative choices Pex being one of several.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Yeah that's good we weren't just exactly just left in the air as it were.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

We’ve known for some time that Windows Media Center was living on borrowed time and earlier versions of Windows Media Player too.
In the case of Windows Media Center - that being the App I know more about as I used it on a 24/7 basis - I knew that development had stopped well before the release of Windows 10.
Back at that time I believe that one could purchase Windows Media Center for an extra fee if one really wanted it so that’s when I began exploring alternative options.
Just as well I did because those alternatives were not only more accessible in many ways but were able to take advantages of emerging technologies.
Fastforward on to today and we see quite a few clients taking the place of Windows Media Center. I’ve mentioned Plex which is quite accessible and uses a web based content.
Getting a Plex Account - and a Plex Pass - is like opening a door on not just your personal and recorded media but a door onto media world-wide so if anyone is interested in this sort of thing go to www.plex.tv <http://www.plex.tv/> and sign up for a trial to explore exactly what Plex offers.
If you find everything in 30 days then you’ll be doing a damn good job as Plex offers just so much, “The World Is Your Oyster”.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

While I don't have any experience with Windows Media Center, I have used Windows Media Player...and never was a huge fan of it! Having said that, at one time, I used Windows Window to rip CDs as it seemed pretty straight-forward to me; it already would rip the track titles right out of the box! But they they changed the look of it; didn't seem (at least to me) that intuitive!

From: marianne Interest

[...]

To be honest I fail to see the point of discussing what used to be as it is no longer so what really has to be asked is what can we use now and into the future.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

I too have and still use Media Player. I use it because of the SRS Wow effect you can put on music. Though if I bought SoundForge Pro i can expand the stereo and SRS Wow the music my self. lol I've heard of Media Center and kinda poked arround in it on my Vista laptop. I never did end up buying a TV tuner thus never did take full advantage but from Larry Scutchan's demo of his HP M495C it sounded like pure epicness. Man how I'd love to get my hands on an epic HP M495C though like Dain would rightly point out it's no longer a thing. It's from freeking 2004. Well 2003 even perhaps. But dude it's epic me wants 1. So yeah I agree with Dain. It is better to move on especially if said epic thing 1 is discussing is no longer being updated or if it has no real use no more. Which since Microsoft bent the knee to the TV guys or what ever that was all about is saddly the case for Media Center. Actually I think there's more to the whole thing than that. Leo Laport just said that because he's kinda anti coppy right law. Or I guess how the industries are kinda snow flaky about you doing stuff. Na remember the best Media Center ever and the last 1 was Windows 7. That must mean something happened since 7 that they decided to say uncle. Thus Dain, the 1 you could buy since Windows 8 was basically the same Windows 7 1. All though I hear it was crippled. Oh and that reminds me I never got an FM tuner either so never played arround with the Radio. Oh well. So much for my epic plans I had for Media Center. But I guess when I do buy an XPS like Dain said I could always still buy a tuner and use Plex or something.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

You'd loved it though Tom. Media Center was pure epicness. I really wish they'd kept it, made it play Blu-Ray Disks and so on. Oh well, VLC is verry acccessible. Just keep Any DVD HD running as you play the disk. That's how I did it.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Is that device Larry demonstrates a TV tuner? If so then I can recommend something which I think is very good and I’m talked about the products from Silicondust before.
Plex finds them right out of the box so all the user has to do is connect to the LAN, connect to a TV aerial, Connect to a mains power outlet and switch on.
The tuner has a handy interface for monitoring the tuners and watching live television from your browser.
You can also check the status of each tuner - see what each is doing -, perform a channel scan etc.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Yes...VLC is now more accessible than it used to be; at least that's how I find it!

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Well we don't send feedback reports for nothing you know <smile>, enjoy.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Ah no it is an HP PC designed with Media Center in mind. But yes I
dephinetly have a silicon Dust in mind as an accessory to get. But first
I need a Dell XPS tower. But in any case the M495C was a PC tower with
all kinds of connections and things. Infact you have the demo Dain. As
you have all the BCT podcasts. I'd like to try and figure out something
about those by the way. Because my internet is too wimpy for how we
tried to have me download them. Also I'm not gonna make ya ship me DVDs
over sees. For each folder ya told me was 4 gigs. That's pretty much a
DVD. But yeah it's 1 of the things he demoed in 2005.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Ah yes
I had one of those Hp Notebook PC’s and they were absolutely amazing.
As you say the control revolved around Windows Media centre.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Yeah but waht Larry had was a tower. Not a lap top. It was verry cool.
Infact, that's how I first heard of Media Center.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Ah okay.
I ha a Hp Notebook at one time which was designed around Windows Media Center with its own built-in tuner and 2 different remote controls, one was designed for convenience whilst the other had more controls on it.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

John Heath

Hi! I have vlc on my computer but find aspects hard to read or access. Do the updates help? Are there things I can use with Jaws 17 that will help? Thanks.

From: marianne Interest

[...]

John: I would suggest getting the latest VLC update; it's a good player...especially if you're needing something to play DVDs!

From: marianne Interest

[...]

Hi to Tom and others. What I wish vlc could do for me is: book mark for I'm using it to read talking books; the equalizer for music, and giving information on position. Except for the book marks I could do most of those things with media player.