Topics

friendly dropbox tip

tim cumings

When sending out a dropbox link to the list, change the last

four characters in the link from "dl=0" to "dl=1."
This will make it easier for anyone accessing the link to download the particular file.

On 7/25/2019 7:34 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
My Dad found this on youtube and its a most interesting view.
The video is produced from a visual perspective so it does lack the necessary information we need about which keys to press to do what however the video does show most of the functions and is a great tool from which to work for sighted people to explain the shortcut layout and so on.
The video contains many useful tips for recording that beginners will find most instructive when using the Zoom H1N or indeed any similar recorder.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9ljl9clv0ddvhr/Beginner%27s%20Guide%20to%20the%20Zoom%20H1n%20audio%20recorder%20%282018%29.mp4?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9ljl9clv0ddvhr/Beginner's%20Guide%20to%20the%20Zoom%20H1n%20audio%20recorder%20(2018).mp4?dl=0>

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Well actually no, I don’t need to change anything.
All people have to do is to look for the Download menu option at the top of the Dropbox page and follow the prompts as there are several methods of downloading.
So there you are, a very simple and straight forward solution which gives the user total flexibility in what they want to do.

On 26 Jul 2019, at 2:52 am, tim cumings <thcumings@...> wrote:

[...]

Mike Busboom

What a fantastic tip, Tim! This is greatly appreciated, and I will be sure to check any links I choose to share with others.

Have a great day and thanks,

Mike

On 25.07.2019, at 18:52, tim cumings <thcumings@...> wrote:

[...]

actually, my method illuminates the need to search for the download link. The person is brought directly to the point where they can either open or download the link. It’s much easier.

On Jul 25, 2019, at 2:23 PM, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

[...]

If you want to make mountains out of molehills then that's up to you, "if it ain't broke then don't fix it."

[...]

Barry Chapman

Agreed. I always change the 0 to 1.

Barry Chapman

[...]

Colin Howard

Greetings,

Having read the thread, one comment.

If the ?dl=0 is left and the link is to a folder, the recippient can
download individual items from a folder. If the ?dl=0 is changed to ?dl=1
for a folder link, I, using Windows 7 on a desktop machine am invited to
download the folder as a .zip file. The folder structure is maintained.

I do use WinZip rather than the W7 offering, as I find this by far and away
the most flexible system.

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 04:23:35 +1000, "Dane Trethowan"
<grtdane@...> wrote:

-Well actually no, I don’t need to change anything.
-All people have to do is to look for the Download menu option at the top of
the Dropbox page and follow the prompts as there are several methods of
downloading.
-So there you are, a very simple and straight forward solution which gives
the user total flexibility in what they want to do.
-
-
-> On 26 Jul 2019, at 2:52 am, tim cumings <thcumings@...> wrote:
->
-> When sending out a dropbox link to the list, change the last
->
-> four characters in the link from "dl=0" to "dl=1."
-> This will make it easier for anyone accessing the link to download the
particular file.
-> On 7/25/2019 7:34 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
->> My Dad found this on youtube and its a most interesting view.
->> The video is produced from a visual perspective so it does lack the
necessary information we need about which keys to press to do what however
the video does show most of the functions and is a great tool from which to
work for sighted people to explain the shortcut layout and so on.
->> The video contains many useful tips for recording that beginners will
find most instructive when using the Zoom H1N or indeed any similar
recorder.
->>
https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9ljl9clv0ddvhr/Beginner%27s%20Guide%20to%20the%20Zoom%20H1n%20audio%20recorder%20%282018%29.mp4?dl=0
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/d9ljl9clv0ddvhr/Beginner's%20Guide%20to%20the%20Zoom%20H1n%20audio%20recorder%20(2018).mp4?dl=0>
->>
->>
->>
->>
->
->
->
-
-
-

---
https://www.avg.com

Tim and all on this thread,
Tim wrote:
actually, my method illuminates the need to search for the download link. The person is brought directly to the point where they can either open or download the link. It's much easier.
Well, I agree in part. Usually I don't  change my links, only if I really know the person will have a hard time working with the first option.
Although the dl=1 method is easier, and indeed it is, you know what they say about giving a fish or teaching to fish.

Just my two cents.

Cheers,
Marcio <https://tinyurl.com/TlkTM>
AKA /Starboy/

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Its eintirely up to the user however it’s a rather selfish way of doing things in my view as it locks other users out from the whole range of facilities Dropbox offers on its page linked to such as commenting, using the built-in video player, downloading directly to a Dropbox account which saves a whole heap of time for many not to mention bandwidth and money if people are on a metered connection.
I find it very disappointing that people haven't bothered to look at the pages from Dropbox to see the extra stuff that Dropbox offers so instead of looking they would rather whine about a problem that doesn't exist rather than enhance their own user experience.
I admit that I am a bit of a Dropbox Pro for want of a better description and I do own a Dropbox account higher up than the free version which I too recommend people have a look at and take a paid subscription if they can afford to as so many extra facilities are offered to paid members.
I have 3TB of space however this space is entirely in the Cloud and not on any of my computer systems here though I can choose to have a portion of my Dropbox data on any computer system linked to my account if I desire that, the whole system is completely customisable which makes it dead handy for keeping audio and video files offline and out of the way knowing that I can retrieve them at a moments notice.
Dropbox have done a really good job at this as the files - even though not on your computer - appear in your File Explorer as the usual list, right clicking on the file or folder brings up your options menu where you will see options to sync the files/download locally to the machine you are using.
Just amazing how Dropbox has ploughed ahead and turned such a great basic idea into a whole file management sceme with capabilities I could never have imagined when I first took a Dropbox account all those years ago.
Many more features and functions of course.
There's a really good tutorial on Dropbox, "Dropping Into Dropbox" available from National Braille Press which describes a great deal of the functionality of the system but even since the book was published quite a few new services have been added to Dropbox.