Topics

digital audio recorders: looking for a specific type

Christopher Wright

Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-software/

--

Christopher Wright - helping podcasters, trainers, and speakers produce and publish great spoken word audio without spending hours on editing
Phone: 914-664-5014 [If I don't respond within thirty seconds, you can leave a voicemail. If you would like to speak with me, please request an appointment]

Hamit Campos

There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-software/

Aidan

Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more inputs
at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6 can, and to
turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay or
Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual XLR/1/4″
combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that goes to a
separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-software/

Christopher Wright

How accessible is the h6?

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
[...]

Well for general recording it's usable enough. the only real problems are that 1 no talking so you will need help when menu diving. Then 2 no beeps music or nothing like the PTRs or Olympus's so you'll need headphones to know what is armed what's not and how many tracks are armed. But for grabbing and going meh once you've gotten the menu diving and track arming out of the way you good. I have 1 and love it. I got it because it's a 6 channal recorder and it has a brighter sound than the LS 100. I only meantioned teh 100 because you asked for a "blind friendly" recorder. Sad ain't it? That there's nothing that's PTR2 accessible but with XLRs phantum and that is studio grade. Could it be that it's supposed that blind people either don't care for studio gear or don't know enough to do so? Sorry if that offends anyone but 1 does have to wander why there's no true studio grade blind friendly gear. Remember friends who knows why the Olympus DS 50 even spoke in the first place. Did olympus know or care blind people used them? Who even knows.

On 9/2/2019 3:55 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
How accessible is the h6?

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more inputs
at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6 can, and to
turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay or
Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual XLR/1/4″
combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that goes to a
separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-software/

Hamit Campos

Actually as an adendum they being Olympus must've at 1 point because they did make the DM-4. So maybe they figured it out even if when the first 3 DS recorders that spoke only did for what ever ease of use reason they did to start with.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more inputs
at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6 can, and to
turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay or
Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual XLR/1/4″
combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that goes to a
separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-software/

Aidan

But why did olympus stop the ls100, why did they not make a new model
improved? I am worried because they seem to have less models now and
the american site is not up rite now. Hope they won't faid away, but
even though, they stil didn't get to the level zoom did, and its
defnitly wundering why not enough blind people use these? I mean half
of them might not even no what fantum power is.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more inputs
at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6 can, and to
turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay or
Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual XLR/1/4″
combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that goes to a
separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-software/

Hamit Campos

I have no idea either. Why get rid of the most accessable Olympus ever? That being the DM-4. I don't know. Not only that why not continue all the DM-4 good stuff on the dm 620 and others? I'd really love to ask Olympus. Is the USA site down? Really? Wow! I haven't been up there in a while.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more inputs
at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6 can, and to
turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay or
Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual XLR/1/4″
combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that goes to a
separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-software/

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Unfortunately - as good as the LS-100 is - the recorder has its share of problems.
Rule number one with the LS-100 recorder seems to be, "Don't do any outdoor field recording".
Wind gets into this recorder even if the recorder is dressed in a windscreen, that shouldn't happen with a recorder supposedly as good as the LS-100 is.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay
or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-
software/

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Accessible or not, Olympus has a market and I'm sure they make recorders to fit it.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay
or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or
-software/

Hamit Campos

Oh yeah the wind into the buttons thing. I've never felt up an LS-100 but that sounds like there are openings someware whre the wind is going into. I remember Neal mentioning and demoing this. I didn't worry about it as much as had I got 1 like I do with my H6 I'd mostly use my AT-8022. Sure I did consider the issue because for run and gunn quick out doors stuff it would be a problem. As is the over censitivity of the XY H6 to wind. Dude those guys can't take wind at all. Shocked me it did that the LS-14 mics can handle more wind.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay
or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-
software/

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

The problems with wind and the Olympus LS-100 are incredibly bad, you just have to breathe on the machine to hear the noise.
My favourite Olympous recorder by far is the LS-P4, at last Olympus have something which perfectly fits into the recorder range and does everything well except for playing back audio through the internal speabut as people know I've never judged recorders by their dreadful internal speakers anyway.
Its possible in my view that we won't see another Olympus recorder with XLR inputs and Olympus will just cater for the market it knows, the voice recorder and camera market.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay
or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or
-
software/

Hamit Campos

Yeah after his traffic file that's exactly what Neal did. Breathe into that side and yeah you hear wind like if it were going into omni mics. I almost got a P4 for the FLAC recording and playback. But I wanted XLRs and phantum. lol But how doews it do with holding your place. If I have a beef with the 14 it's with the MP3 playback. That it rewinds and fast forwards too far and that if you shut it down it won't hold your place. I know it's not a player like the DMs were especially those that had the podcast folder. Maybe I should see about a DM 520 or 620. For MP3s. My Mile Stone 311 died.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay
or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or
-
software/

Hamit Campos

Oh by the way almost forgot. you said duel XLR. So the H6 may be too much and too big. The H4N Pro is your little friend. Again though not accessable if accessable or blind friendly means PTR2. or Olympus with the feiew that did talk. Also as this has 2 modes if you don't need multi files just keep it in stereo mode and like an Olympus it'll just record into the folders and that's it. The H5 which is a bit bigger and the mics snap off like on the H6 also could work too. The thing with the H6 is that think of it as an H4N Pro or H5 for ever in multi track mode. Thus not only does it record in folders 1 threw 10 but since you are expected to do multi track or really multi file recordings each time you record it creates a new folder with that recording in it. I find this mad annoying and waistfull for stereo but tought myself to exept it for the time being untill I get multible mics. Again surround sound is the name of my game with my H6. So it's just as well it does what it does. Just kinda extranious with what me just using an AT-8022.

On 9/2/2019 3:33 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or-software/

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

One of the most interesting things I've ever done with the LS-100 was to set it up as a sound device for my Mac, no reason why it won't work on Windows.
That's a nice and easy way to add some flexibility to your recording system on your computer if you're looking for some stand-out microphones - built-in as part of the recorder or your choice of external microphones -, XLR inputs of course, line-in etc.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on
EBay or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-o
-
software/

Aidan

Well, I did consider the lsp4 but it seems like it sound almost like
the dm models, and not as pro as the 14 and others, so I guess zoom is
the way to go. By the way if anyone have more h1n tips I would
appreciate.
If you want a more accessible way to record h6 sound, the u44 does a
great job. It have the same preamps as the h6, and is compatible with
the capsuls of the h6, so you can snap them on the side of the u44,
and ajust input volume, and output volume of the interface and connect
a line in recorder to it, and you can power the u44 with 2 dubble A
batteries, and take it outside and record. Only thing that on
batteries fantum power don't seem to work, not sure if that is normal,
but that is where the capsuls just will shine.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on
EBay or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-o
-
software/

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

The LS-P4 performs far better when recording than do the older DM models, no comparison actually.
As I said in a previous message, playback on the internal speaker is a little compressed but to me that’s a minor irritation as that problem can be easily fixed by listening through headphones or streaming to a Bluetooth device, take your pick.
The LS-P4’s “Auto” Recording Level arrangement is superb as the recorder uses a “Look Ahead Buffer” rather than an AGC so n=no need for any “Smart Level” function as found on the LS-14.
The LS-P4 does have a downside, you can’t record to the FLAC format whilst you have a Bluetooth device connected but at least you can record to Wave at 96KHZ/24 bit should you want to.
Again this recorder may not be any good to you as it doesn’t have XLR inputs.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on
EBay or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-o
-
software/

Curtis Delzer

what is it you particularly like about the ls-p4? does it have menus which talk, etc.

THANKS!

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay
or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or
-
software/

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I like many things about the LS-P4.
First is its size which is of that of a small candy bar.
Yes the menus talk and you can also set the clock however the file listing doesn’t talk though that would be the only thing.
The recorder handles up to 96K/24 Bit sampling and can also record in FLAC as well as the usual MP3 and Wave formats.
The LS-P4 handles Bluetooth so you can stream the audio of the recorder to a set of headphones, speakers and so on.
The recorder isn’t perfect but for less than $200 Australian the Olympus is an absolute bargain for those wanting a handy recorder to record.. well.. just about anything.

On 9/2/2019 3:50 PM, Aidan wrote:
Yes, just keep in mind that ls100 cannot record from 2 or more
inputs at the same time, only one at a time. Whereas the zoom h6
can, and to turn each input on/off, is very easy.

On 9/2/19, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
There use to be, the Olympus LS-100. So if you can find 1 on EBay
or Amazon go for it.

On 9/2/2019 3:29 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi,

Is there a blind-user-friendly audio recorder that has dual
XLR/1/4″ combo inputs or one XLR input and a 3.5mm input that
goes to a separate channel?

This question was inspired by the following blog post:

https://thepodcastersstudio.com/recording-skype-with-no-mixer-or
-
software/

Hamit Campos

Ah if ya want perfect than 1 must get the 744-T or what ever the new thing is now. Hmmmmmmmmm maybe it's the 788-T. But in any case yeah the points you made are all true and I agree. I also like that zoom wide feature that even the DMs had. It does make the stereo panning wider on your files. I know it adds more floor as Neal pointed out with the P-2 but still an epic feature. The fact they talk makes it so symple to do stuff on the fly.