Topics

CC-Crane Transmitter Question

Tom Kaufman

Hello list: I have one of those transmitters that came from C-Crane running
through my computer in order that I may listen to something that is on my
computer in another room. Here of late, I have found that I can't quite get
the volume that I feel I should get (this is not to be confused with signal)
it still will transmit the signal all throughout the house just as it used
to; the problem is, if I try and get it to where the volume is of the same
level as any other radio station, I have distortion (makes the s's sound
like they might sound if you have an AM" station tuned slightly
off-frequency! Is there anything I can do to alleviate this problem? It's
to the point where.let's say I'm listening while I am taking a show (I have
a little clock radio in there that I sometimes will listen to) but while I'm
in the shower, I have to have that radio turned up all the way (this didn't
used to be and I don't understand what has happened; why it is that the
transmitter is not allowing me to give it the volume it needs! Now this
transmitter is one I got in 2004, so maybe it is simply that it is "wearing
out" anyhow if someone knows of what the problem may be, please feel free to
put it out here? Am running a Dell computer and I think the soundcard is a
Realtech, if this info is of any help!

Thanks for whatever info you may have!

Tom Kaufman

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Are you using the volume control on the side of the transmitter; as opposed to just driving it harder from the sound card?  Mine seems to have less volume, also, but it has been tollerable.

Howard

On 2/24/2019 9:38 PM, Tom Kaufman wrote:
[...]

Yes...using the volume control on the side of the transmitter. Now when you say " driving it harder from the soundcard" do you mean "turning up the system volume (or speaker volume?" Since the boom box that I keep in the kitchen has a considerable amount of volume (more than that little ole clock radio I keep in the bathroom) I can make it work! But if I'm in the bathroom and am using that clock radio to listen to while I'm in the shower, sometimes it's harder to hear it (and the volume control on the clock radio is as loud as it can go!

[...]

Yes Tom, you're doing it the way I would.  With the control on the transmitter all the way up, set your sound card output just a bit less than distortion.  That's probably all you can do.  I don't know if there is an adjustment in the transmitter for deviation.  If so, that might be the next thing to try.

Howard

On 2/24/2019 11:11 PM, Tom Kaufman wrote:
[...]

Hello Howard: I'll see if I can do that! Thanks for the tip! You might want to give me some pointers as to how to adjust the output on the soundcard (running Windows 7 if that helps!"

[...]

Any sound card I've ever used is controlled via software.  In windows xp it was in programs/accessories/entertainment/volume control.  Windows 7 and later, I think things are a bit different but they're still in there.  Just set the system volume up  until just before it distorts on your radio.

Someone who knows more than I about that transmitter, may be able to point you to a deviation adjustment if there is one.

Howard

On 2/25/2019 7:03 PM, Tom Kaufman wrote:
[...]

Howard: I first thought this may be achieved by adjusting the speaker volume that is on the keyboard of my computer! Now if I understand you correctly, this is not the case...correct? Also, just so I understood you correctly, you're saying I need to turn the volume of the transmitter up all the way...then adjust the output of the soundcard? OOr do I have that backwards?

[...]

I think you could try it either way and see what works best for you.

On 2/25/2019 8:46 PM, Tom Kaufman wrote:
[...]

Tom, I don't know about the volume control on the keyboard.  I've never seen that.  However, I suspect that that control actually operates the software volume control in the system.

Howard

[...]

Hello Howard and list: I think I have somewhat solved my problem: last night, I played around with the system volume on my computer! I first jacked it on up to a hundred percent! This, of course (while it far from made the light on the transmitter flicker) it just caused all kinds of "over-driven" sounds on my radios! So I settled on 68 percent; this gives me a sound I can live with as well as pretty much the volume I need! Thanks all for listening and thanks, Howard, for steering me in the right direction!

[...]

stewartross

what is the rf power for the tx?
from the ross meister
www.laserhothits.co.uk