From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dane Trethowan
Sent: Tuesday, May 28, 2019 2:10 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] Amazon Alexa and Skype

Hi,
I recently set up my Amazon Alexa devices to work with Skype and was wondering If anyone else on list had done the same.
I’m quite impressed with the audio quality not from Skype so much but from the Amazon Alexa units themselves using Skype.
I intend to do a demo of how good the latest Amazon Alexa Echo Dot sounds when I’m talking from the opposite side of my room in my armchair from where the Dot is sitting on the shelf above my computer desk.
The idea of using Skype with your Alexa device is simple enough, just ask Alexa to call a number etc and Alexa will use your Skype account.
My interest in Skype had I thought disappeared completely until I learnt about integrating my Alexa devices into Skype.
This is handy not just for making everyday calls but a great security idea, if I have an accident, fall etc then I can summon help immediately given I have an Alexa in every room of my house now and can always add more if required.
My only disappointment with the whole Amazon Alexa thing is the fact that Amazon have seen fit not to continue development of the Amazon Alexa Tap device which I think still is one of the best thought out Amazon devices still around.

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Ive since been doing some research and there are still plenty of Amazon Echo Tap devices to be bought however they cannot be updated to support the latest offerings from Amazon and Skype Calling is one.
I do have an Amazon device which is stereo and that’s the Amazon Echo Show.
I bought the Show as it works with my Ring doorbell system I’ve talked about here along with the Echo Spot devices, 2 of which I’ve placed in different rooms on desktops so if the doorbell rings I’m usually on hand to answer using video and after today? Well I never realised just how handy this feature was given that today’s temperature of 5 degrees is extremely cold by our standards.
Back to echo and stereo. If you’re thinking of a stereo sound sound then there are several paths you can consider.
As you say, pairing 2 echo devices together is the obvious choice.
If you prefer good quality sound then you might consider getting 2 Echo Plus devices which are the top of the range in their class, excellent sounding speakers.
If you really love the speakers you already have - say a pair of B&W MM1 powered speakers - then you can buy the Echo Link that connects up to them directly.
There’s also the Echo Amp but I’ve not seen any favourable reviews of this device which is a shame. Amazon are in the perfect position to make a premium audiophile amp or at least a decent sounding amp which I’m sure a lot of people would by to integrate the Amazon system with their own classic speakers.

On 29 May 2019, at 3:48 pm, Tom Kaufman <tomcat53@...> wrote:

Dane: I hear you about the Amazon Tap; I, too, am sorry that the Amazon folks have seen fit to not make the Tap available (or at least not support it) I have an Amazon Tap; like the fact that it is portable! I do have an Amazon Echo; nice-sounding piece; am only bothered by the fact that it does not deliver stereo sound...that is...unless you want to get two of them! My Tap does do stereo...and I like that!