Topics

airfoil

Joe Paton

Good Afternoon good people.

I am looking to use airfoil for airplay to an homepod.

The interface looks a little tricky to access, I'm wondering if a
previous version may be easier to access, and which players airfoil
supports. any tips on accessing this software with either Jaws or
narrator would be welcome, or an alternative software option to utilise
airplay I'd be keen to hear about.

Thanks indeed.

For 30 dollars, if we can get it to work, that would be a small
investment for a positive outcome for us.

Stick with the most up-to-date version of Airfoil as its the most accessible.
The interface isn’t as tricky as it looks once you get used to it.
Use the tab key to get around the interface.
There are various things that happen when you use the space bar to press the buttons.
One button brings up the source menu - where you set the source where Airfoil streams from on your computer.
This source can be anything from an App on your PC to a physical input or output on a sound device.
Other buttons in the Interface let you mute the volume, minimise the Interface, a slider to control the volume etc.
Press the Alt key to get into the menu system.
Go to the speakers menu to see a list of compatible devices you can stream to and select one to start streaming your source to that device.
You can also use alt-numbers on the top row as hotkey to start streaming to target devices.
That’s pretty much all there is to it.
I use both Airfoil for Windows and Mac.
Oh and one other thing you may wish to bare in mind.
Your firewall may whine about Airfoil so grant Airfoil access if required.

On 18 Sep 2019, at 8:52 pm, Joe Paton via Groups.Io <joe=vi-ability.org.uk@groups.io> wrote:

Good Afternoon good people.

I am looking to use airfoil for airplay to an homepod.

The interface looks a little tricky to access, I'm wondering if a
previous version may be easier to access, and which players airfoil
supports. any tips on accessing this software with either Jaws or
narrator would be welcome, or an alternative software option to utilise
airplay I'd be keen to hear about.

Thanks indeed.

For 30 dollars, if we can get it to work, that would be a small
investment for a positive outcome for us.

Joe Paton

Thanks dane.
This is useful.

Joe
Joe Paton
telephone: 01702 543624
Mobile: 0 7 9 6 7 3 8 2 9 6 4
web site: http://www.apart.org

On Wed, 18 Sep 2019 21:00:30 +1000
"Dane Trethowan" <grtdane@...> wrote:

Hi,
[...]

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I can't remember when I started using Airfoil, must be at least 10 years ago.
I've seen the App progress from being totally unusable with Windows to the present day.
The functionality of Airfoil has changed considerably and the name is perhaps now a little miss-leading as the App can stream to Bluetooth devices, Chromecast devices etc.
I hope that DLNA devices will be supported in the future.
The companion App to Airfoil. is the Satellite App which is installed alongside Airfoil.
Initially Satellite turned your computer into a receiver for streamed audio from AirPlay compatible devices but now Satellite does much more than that.
You can for example remote control Airfoil from computers or other devices with Satellite so you can launch Satellite from your computer and set Satelitte to launch streaming from another computer etc to a Google Chromecast, Apple TV or whatever takes your fancy.
Airfoil and its Satellite are a real store of streaming power.