Topics

A note to Plex TV users

As other list members may know I use the Plex TV service with a Plex Premium
pass along with a Silicondust TV tuner to record and time shift/watch Live
TV.

I received an eMail from Plex regarding changes to the way that Plex will
interact with Programme Guides come the end of June 2019.

In Australia for example the current @Freeview@ programme guide will no
longer be available so users of the Plex PVR will have to subscribe to a
third party programme guide service such as Ice TV.

Instructions are laid out in the eMail and links are given on where to find
further instructions on changing the settings in your Plex PVR to make full
use of the Ice TV programme guide etc.

As a special offer Ice TV is offering Plex Premium Pass subscribers a 3
months trial of the Ice TV service.

Plex also mentions that these changes will affect Plex Pass Premium
Subscribers in other countries and regions though the eMail I received
didn't specify exactly where these regions were so if you're a Plex user
then keep an eye on your In-Box.

As a footnote I've made the necessary changes to my Plex system to make use
of the Ice TV programme guide and I wish I'd started using Ice TV for
programme information and scheduling long ago rather than use the @Freeview@
programme guide service which I've found to be very inaccurate for both
programme information and programme start/end times.

Ice TV on the other hand is continually adjusted for those times when
programmes overrun or channels may prefer to pad out a programme with
commercials to make the programme longer thus keep a good audience for
longer, advertise new shows and all the other dirty tricks our TV networks
get up to <smile>.

[...]

Hamit Campos

Dain, remind me. it's the HD HomeRun prime you have correct? Just asking because I was looking on google for that 1 to see how much I'd have to save up. But first I need an XPS 8930 special addition.

On 6/12/2019 9:01 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Hi,
[...]

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Yes that’s one of the models.
The tuner I’m using is the Silicondust HDHomeRun CONNECT QUATRO
I believe there’s also a version available now that connects via Wifi.
I’m thinking of getting another Silicondust Tuner and adding that to the network thus giving me more flexibility over what I watch and record from Free-To-Air TV anywhere.

On 13 Jun 2019, at 12:59 pm, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

[...]

Yeah I think there is. Don't quote me on that though. Because I was specifically looking for the homerun prime when I was looking so I may not have been paying attention. lol I was curious as to weather that tuner was 1 still a thing and 2 how it worked now Media Center is gone. Because it indeed was a thing with Media Center.

On 6/13/2019 4:53 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

I suggest that Media Center probably wouldn't work with this line of tuners.
I doubt whether Media Center ever had the ability to detect Network attached tuners and even then, detection of Tuners by Media Center was patchy at best.
Windows Media Center is a thing of the past and best forgotten.