A Few Recordings with my Parabolic System

Jerry Berrier

I have not yet made any practical use of all three mics at the same time,
but it's fun having the focused recording along with the stereo recording,
just in case I want it.

Here's a series of recordings of crows in my back yard, recorded with the F6
and Parabola stereo mics. I used Reaper to string the recordings together,
and they get successively louder toward the end, due to my inexperience with
Reaper.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/txqi2pa9vaf2axn/Crows%20in%20Malden%20MA.wav?dl=0

All of the rest were recorded on an Olympus LS14 and my parabolic system.
They were all recorded in Tennessee. I rarely get the chance to make
exciting recordings, because I live in a fairly urban area near Boston.

Here's a link to a recording I made early on a spring morning at Seven
Islands state park:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/96d7pcdwiqak4rf/7islands.mp3?dl=0

Here's what sounds like a conversation between two Carolina wrens

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oc3uulof9l5z7rc/cwrenconversation.mp3?dl=0

And here is a mono recording from the parabola of a Chuck Will's Widow.
There's a lot of noise from a nearby stream, and I could not even hear the
bird with my naked ears. I just havppened to be slowly swinging the
parabola around while listening with headphones, and all of a sudden I heard
it and homed in on it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/chk3qem788q60cq/cww.mp3?dl=0

Jerry Berrier

508-735-4420

http://www.birdblind.org

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

I must say the crows in your area sound a lot different to ours, I think the
proper name for our crows is Ravens? Anyway I'll go out into the yard and
see if I can capture some.
Problem with our crows is that when you want to capture them they're not
around and conversely when you want some peace and quiet a whole heap of the
damn things turn up <smile>.

[...]

Hamit Campos

Thanks. Just downloaded it now.

On 8/24/2020 8:39 PM, Jerry Berrier wrote:
[...]

Steve Jacobson

Jerry,

I am sorry, but I missed the beginning of this thread. Which microphone system is being used, and how large is it? Thank you.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Ftxqi2pa9vaf2axn%2FCrows%2520in%2520Malden%2520MA.wav%3Fdl%3D0&;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637339127667549134&amp;sdata=0AwDu49EizCvCnNF1yU7fGfR7qpPvemBAfN0zLEHNTo%3D&amp;reserved=0

All of the rest were recorded on an Olympus LS14 and my parabolic system.
They were all recorded in Tennessee. I rarely get the chance to make
exciting recordings, because I live in a fairly urban area near Boston.

Here's a link to a recording I made early on a spring morning at Seven
Islands state park:

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2F96d7pcdwiqak4rf%2F7islands.mp3%3Fdl%3D0&;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637339127667559129&amp;sdata=o0eY1TUdIwEng5xyp8CjXg9MhgSBEr5%2FFHvYgWoYa%2BU%3D&amp;reserved=0

Here's what sounds like a conversation between two Carolina wrens

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Foc3uulof9l5z7rc%2Fcwrenconversation.mp3%3Fdl%3D0&;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637339127667559129&amp;sdata=wzZ50c0uDwMVPtGTSEjFMtbRdKWER%2F%2Bs6%2FwjAPLCNWQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

And here is a mono recording from the parabola of a Chuck Will's Widow.
There's a lot of noise from a nearby stream, and I could not even hear the
bird with my naked ears. I just havppened to be slowly swinging the
parabola around while listening with headphones, and all of a sudden I heard
it and homed in on it.

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbox.com%2Fs%2Fchk3qem788q60cq%2Fcww.mp3%3Fdl%3D0&;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637339127667559129&amp;sdata=i6ndLBIp9WT4uXYF7GICfR6O7dBTfrNrSD66%2BnUDsO4%3D&amp;reserved=0

Jerry Berrier

508-735-4420

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.birdblind.org%2F&;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637339127667559129&amp;sdata=Y4U7OfV%2Bz4A9uRu%2BU9VnaW%2BPavFKA%2BmoJHKGoRC07iA%3D&amp;reserved=0

Jerry Berrier

It's a 22-inch in diameter Wildtronics amplified parabolic system.

I have not yet made any practical use of all three mics at the same time,
but it's fun having the focused recording along with the stereo recording,
just in case I want it.

Here's a series of recordings of crows in my back yard, recorded with the F6
and Parabola stereo mics. I used Reaper to string the recordings together,
and they get successively louder toward the end, due to my inexperience with
Reaper.

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbo
x.com%2Fs%2Ftxqi2pa9vaf2axn%2FCrows%2520in%2520Malden%2520MA.wav%3Fdl%3D0&am
p;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435a
aaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637339127667549134&amp;sdata=0AwDu49EizCvCnNF1yU7fGfR7
qpPvemBAfN0zLEHNTo%3D&amp;reserved=0

All of the rest were recorded on an Olympus LS14 and my parabolic system.
They were all recorded in Tennessee. I rarely get the chance to make
exciting recordings, because I live in a fairly urban area near Boston.

Here's a link to a recording I made early on a spring morning at Seven
Islands state park:

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbo
x.com%2Fs%2F96d7pcdwiqak4rf%2F7islands.mp3%3Fdl%3D0&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44
f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C
637339127667559129&amp;sdata=o0eY1TUdIwEng5xyp8CjXg9MhgSBEr5%2FFHvYgWoYa%2BU
%3D&amp;reserved=0

Here's what sounds like a conversation between two Carolina wrens

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbo
x.com%2Fs%2Foc3uulof9l5z7rc%2Fcwrenconversation.mp3%3Fdl%3D0&amp;data=02%7C0
1%7C%7C44f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7
C1%7C0%7C637339127667559129&amp;sdata=wzZ50c0uDwMVPtGTSEjFMtbRdKWER%2F%2Bs6%
2FwjAPLCNWQ%3D&amp;reserved=0

And here is a mono recording from the parabola of a Chuck Will's Widow.
There's a lot of noise from a nearby stream, and I could not even hear the
bird with my naked ears. I just havppened to be slowly swinging the
parabola around while listening with headphones, and all of a sudden I heard
it and homed in on it.

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.dropbo
x.com%2Fs%2Fchk3qem788q60cq%2Fcww.mp3%3Fdl%3D0&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44f43a2
1f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C63733
9127667559129&amp;sdata=i6ndLBIp9WT4uXYF7GICfR6O7dBTfrNrSD66%2BnUDsO4%3D&amp
;reserved=0

Jerry Berrier

508-735-4420

https://nam12.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.birdbli
nd.org%2F&amp;data=02%7C01%7C%7C44f43a21f8064fe887fa08d8488f51fe%7C84df9e7fe
9f640afb435aaaaaaaaaaaa%7C1%7C0%7C637339127667559129&amp;sdata=Y4U7OfV%2Bz4A
9uRu%2BU9VnaW%2BPavFKA%2BmoJHKGoRC07iA%3D&amp;reserved=0

Jerry Berrier

Yes, they are very smart creatures.
In the U.S., we have ravens and crows. They sound somewhat similar.
Crows are very common around here, both in urban and rural settings.

[...]

So what are rooks then?

On 25 Aug 2020, at 6:44 pm, Jerry Berrier <jlblists@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

They are the most abundant Eurasian bird of the crow family

[...]

I just listened to the WAV file this morning and it was epic! Verry cool. That was all the mics going right?

On 8/25/2020 4:43 AM, Jerry Berrier wrote:
[...]

No, just the stereo mics.

[...]

Ah cool. Say Neal's celling off his F4. Don't know if anyone else has an f4 here but he's wanting $420 and some. Pluss shipping. An extra charger and an extra battery sled he gives with it. Mint condision. Saddly it's only for those that live in north America. But if anyone else here has an F4 or has had at least the fortune to have borrowed a friend's and heard it. I ask you. Pounce or wait to be able to get the F6? I know Dain has oh and I think you did once 2 Jarry the F8N which is newer than the F4 and origenal 8. Just don't know how the F6 woulda inproved or not. With the H recorders the 5 though lacking bass and mids has less amp hiss than the H6. The H4N newer than those 2 again lacks the same ammount of bass and mid range as does the 5 but again less hiss then boath the 5 and 6 combined. The amps seemed to be about as quiet as the F 1s. So what say ya all?

On 8/25/2020 1:49 PM, Jerry Berrier wrote:
No, just the stereo mics.

[...]

Ah cool. Yeah just wandered is all. Cause neal likes doing that 3 track thing too. Sounded real good though the recording did.

[...]

Andy

Hi Craig.

I downloaded your recording, just before the subject line was hi-jacked with professional sound engineer's.

Now. Let's get back to basics.

I'm interested, very much in Recording bird call, here in the west Coast area of Scotland.

I have a lot:

Zoom H6.
Zoom F8n.
2 At 8022's
and 1 AT 2022.

Now, I've all the tools, but little skill.

I want to record the best I can achieve, as you do Craig.
So out of my options above, I believe for a simple Dawn Chorus, you'd advise . My Zoom H6 and At 2022.

Let's consider the ZoomF8n later.

So I'm going to give this a go as soon as I can make sure that Phantom power is completely turned off on the H6. I down't want to burn this mick out.

Now regarding your recordings.

I'm not going to blow smoke in your ears my friend.

This is my honest opinion.

The quality of the recordings of crows was extemely high. I cannot get anywhere near this quality.

Now Consider this.

You said so, in your rural comunity, you simply cannot record absolute silence.

So although your recordings are extremely good, all the ground and background sound destroys it's value.

Now consider me.

I live in a small village called Kilcreggan. The village is on the Roseneith Peninsular on the west coast of scotland.

My recording station is looking straight out the Clyde Estury to the Irish sea and Atlantic.

To my Left is Greenock and Gouroch. Then the channel then to my right, Dunoon.

I'm 500 ft above the world and it's, on occasion, total silence, like the movie gravity. .

When there is a thunder or lightening storm, this is where you find me, going insane with pleasure.

Now regarding bird call. I'm luck because my wife and I own a small farm of over 1000 trees and more birds than anywhere on the peninsular.

Hense this equipment.

I simply know that you would not challeng me, for there are opertunities all around me with various challenges such as Wind noise.

I really do wish that with digital recording now taking off that somethin like Blind Cool Tech could not be started up again. to gather all of our podcasts and make them available for list members.

What do you think?

Very best wishes.

Andy.

[...]

Hi Andy, this is Jerry.
Yes, I think a place for podcasts is a great idea.
There used to be one called One-minute Vacation, that I just loved. People
would send in brief recordings of places they had been. Some of the
recordings were really fascinating. Once in a while I dream about starting
something like that.

[...]

Hi Andy. It's Hamiht. You could to a certain extent get the quality Jarry did. Via the F8N. Now that's just the recorder. I'll be real with you my friend I've not heard the AT-8022 with an F recorder let alone a true pro recorder Like Neal's trusty old Sound-Devices 744-T. Man how I'd love 1 of those things. A kind reminder too my friend. You're confusing the 2022 with the 8022. The 2022 is the 1 that yes if you want to use the quarter intch jacks into the middle of the XLR quarter jacks of the H6 absolutely make sure phantom is off. The 8022 on the contrary I wana jently kindly remind you my friend can take and does take phantom as it has XLRs. This is how I use it to get it's full potential. If you ever do try the 8022 on the F8N send me a demo please. I'd love to know how it sounds on an F recorder.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jerry Berrier" <jlblists@gmail.com>
[...]

Hi again Hamit.

Sorry I've not been in touch recently, but with the lock down and my poor health, things were looking pretty grim for a while.

So I've bounced back.

Hamit, I'm not getting any opportunities for recording, either indoors or outdoors as a consequents of all these closures.

Just to remind you I've a pair of at 8022's for that Stereo spread you were referring to, a few months ago. Still need a pir of good table-top stands to hold them.

I'm hoping to use this configuration on both my h6 and f8n.

As they require Phantom power, I need to travel into glasgow to buy an external power adaptor along with a couple of "Erose" adaptors, so I can power both machines. I think I need to get this set up for 12 to 18 amps.

But I'm hoping to get some help with setting everything up from my Sound Engineer friend who works at BBC Radio Scotland at Pacific Quay. These microphones are for recording Local pub bands, choirs as well as small travelling opera groups.

Regarding the at 2022, Now that's completely different. Absolutely no Phantom needed at all. This is more or less a Binaural system for recording podcasts of walk about's in Glasgow, recording street buskers or most definitely bird calls.

It's taking me a while to get to this level of planning and it's looking very likely that I'll probably not be in a position to record a band, quire or podcast till after Christmas.

I'm just happy to continue buying all the equipment necessary. I've also got 2 new computers so I'm having a good old clean out for winter.

Yes Hamit I'd love to hear my 2 configurations on a few recorders. Sure the F6 must figure. But you know, I do't know how I feel about this recorder now. I'm only hearing very negative comments concerning them. Nothing like that what we heard which came along with the Zoom H6 or Zoom F8n.

I really wish that both you and Neal would have gone for the Zoom F8n.

God! With neal doing his usual podcast introducing the device a long with a tactile map and your superior understanding of how the menue systems are laid out and navigating and making appropriate changes within, then I'd be indeed, a happy rabbit. with all that support.

Very best wishes, Andy.

[...]

Oh Gerry, the good old days of Blind Col Teck.

The podcasts I loved were site seeing tours of peoples bedrooms, homes and comunities. They were fantastic.

Then of course, you got people like Rick explaining how to use the new Iphone technology. and of course podcasts of members interests, from Knitting, to Bell ringing to youghting.

Then we had the weird ones like the guy who did a podcast while undergoing dental route work. Boy, now that was brilliant and very funny and frightening. My God, when I think back.
hahaha. The good old days.

Personally, I have a plan to go out on the hills with my best mate of 55 years and once again, go up through the forests and onto the Munroes, and the hills we new as kids and the same ones I did with him, when I was able to see, all those years ago. Think of that.

Perhaps using my H6 or F8n with those wireless microphones, can't remember they are called. But anyway, Craig that would be a great podcast and quite emotional when you think about it.

My sighted friend could say, Dou you remember that old military barracks we visited 40 years ago, here it is again andy, and listen to my reactions and questions?. Great stuff.

Very best wishes.

If you ever decide to bring back Blind Cool teck. I may be able to assist you for some funding. Goodness we have never ever been so equipped with tec gadgets. It would be fascinating!

Very best wishes.
Andy.

[...]

Ah bro I would go for the F8N had I the dough. Yes I'm hearing a lot of nay saying about the F6 mainly menus and Curtis Jud being the only 1 for the next thing buttons and nobs being too mashed together. Dain Jarry you guys conferm. I don't know how big Curtis is hands wise compaired to me so I'd take his word for the nob thing as I've not felt up the F6 even. Actually Andy Neal did go for the F4. This came out either with or before the origenal F8. I'm not sure of the history. I was asking on here if I should jump on it. There are reasons why I want the F6 but over all I just want that almost Sound-Devices sound quality. Ah I too need to replace my PC tower. So can't jump on the F6 and depending on recommendations were it not for this I could also have jumped on Neal's F4 instead. Anyways I digress. I'm glad you're better and always ready to help as I too have the 8022. I have a table stand for mine. Just don't know what brand it is. But yeah there's lots of nay saying about the F6. Everyone agrees on the PCM 192 KHZ sample rate 32 bits floating point bit depth though. That being the key for most of the ones buying it. Including myself. But also I want it for the size and the fact that onlike with the H6 you could pontencially be hands free but for the 8022 because you apparently you can clip it to your belt. Jarry do you have an H6? I think Dain did. How does the F6 compair in size to it? It must some how be some what smaller if you can hook it to your belt. But yes Andy I'm surprised Neal didn't go for the F8N.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hamit Campos" <hamitcampos@gmail.com>

[...]

I still have my trusty Zoom H6 recorder, I did plan on ridding myself of it but now? Well to be honest I'm keeping it for the convenience factor, just connect your devices, turn on the recorder and record.
Yes, setting the dials takes a few seconds but at least that can be done.
You're right about the controls on the Zoom F6, they can be a bit difficult to manage if you have big fingers and I don't like the way the mixer controls are laid out, no arrows or any way to mark the position where they're set but still the F6 is a damn nice recorder despite the drawbacks of the control panel and even though the recorder lacks some of the connectivity options available on my H6 and F8N recorders.
As for Sound Devic es recorders? I haven't been fortunate enough to use one of those so I take the words from someone who has, that being Kertis Judd in the reviews he's posted on Youtube who says, "If you have a Zoom Recorder, you're happy with the recorder and you're thinking of upgrading to a Sound Devices recorder then don't bother. If you have a Sound Devices recorder, you're happy with it thus far and you're thinking of upgrading to a Zoom recorder then don't bother" <smile>.

[...]

Ah you also hav Neal's old podcasts if you saved them. Particular ones I recommend are Neal's Zoom H4N review, Neal's LS-100 review and well of course the review of the 744-T itself. But with the H4N podcast and Olympus LS-100 podcasts he uses the Rode NT1-A mic. Bro that mic's epic. As for the F6 controlls I'm just saying what Curtis said. So I guess you are the second person now to back this up. Again I'd have to get my big brother Roger to take me to B&H Photo Video to get a feel of the thing. Man I wish someone else near Danbury CT or in Danbury CT had 1 to feel it up and stuff before buying it. As for menus meh I just ask Abby to set them. Same for the nobs just do to the fact that I would like them balanced so I have her put them on 5 or 5 and a half. Sometimes 6. I don't know if the F nobs are numbered but for those of you with the H6 if you do have a sighted spouce neighbor or if you can use Aira remember the nobs on the H6 and perhaps even the H5 1s for those that have that remember they are numbered 1 threw 10. Then there are between points too.