a couple of questions re at8022 and at4022

Andy

Hi Hamit and all.

Just a couple of questions guys regarding the at 8022 and the at 4022.

I've taken Hamit's advice regarding his view that 2 at8022's placed apart in an x y form will give me a broader stereo field rather then 1 microphone.

I decided this because when recording my local 7 piece band the sound source is quite wide.

So I've a lovely new pair of these.

Now am I correct in thinking that these mics require Phantom power?

If so, dealing with the H6 first, I could allocate channels and 4 for these micks and turn Phantom power on?

In terms of channels 1 and 2, I turn Phantom power off completely as I'm intending to allocate these channels to my new at 2022, which should arrive next week

These will satisfy my Dawn Chorus birdcall recordings.

I need to set up the H6, not even going near the F8N until I've sorted out the H6.

Any advice would be very helpful.

As my sighted wife will be following your suggestions, it would be nice for an idiots guide because she has absolutely no interest in recording.

Hoping everyone is fine and looking after themselves.

Very best wishes.

Andy.

Georgina Joyce

Hello Andy,

Yes, they are indeed condenser mics so need power. Did you say you got new ones?

On 30 Jul 2020, at 10:32, Andy via groups.io <meikle.aiden=btinternet.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Allstar: 52178
Locater: IO83PS

Andy

Hi again Gena.

Yes Gena.

I've bought a pair of at 8022's and an AT 2022.

Incidentally, a Youtube demo warns that never should the AT2022 be plugged into an XLr with Phantom turned on or the mic will be killed. The 2022 has it's own power in the form of a 1.5 Duracell battery.

The AT 8022 does require Phantom so these XLR's should be supplied with power., but how much power?

[...]

Hamit Campos

Hi Andy and Gena. Just to clarify a few things. Andy the 4022 is a completely different mike from the 2 we're discussing here. I'm sure you ment 2022 and typed 4 by axident. But the 4022 is the omni brother of the 4021 which is what the 8022 is based on. Now to the subject at hand. Yes the 2022 is battery operated only thus phantum indeed could damage it. As for the AT-8022 it came with a double A I'm sure Andy. You don't necessarily need phantom for the 8022 if you didn't want it. Sure if you are using it with XLRs it's best to do so to get the full beniphat of the mic. But also this mic comes with a mini XLR to 3.5 jack cable. This Andy is so you could use it with the DS-50 or something like that. But it is mainly for using the 8022 with a camera. You can mount the 8022 on a DSLR camera. As you can the H6. There ya go just wanted to clear things up. Andy just sent you a seperate message on how to turn phantom on and how to link the tracks. Note the XLRs that go into the H6 are different collors. Have your wife figure out which collor is which channal. I forget right now. I will say this though left goes towards the front of the H6 meaning in the XLR near where you snap on the snap off mics and in this case the right goes into the XLR near the menu levor. Just so as you know same applys to the left XLRs. Track 1 left channal is the XLR near the opening for the snap offs and the XLR near in that case to the card reader is Track 2 or right channal. I'd really love to hear the 8022 on the F8N though to see what it sounds like on truely pro gear.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Georgina Joyce" <gena@gena-j.me.uk>
[...]

Hi again Hamit and Gena.

Yes Hamit it was an error on my point.

I did mean the AT2022 and I'm hoping to receive that next week.

As for the AT8022. I take your point in setting up Phantom, but I could use them to check them out using their own internal batteries.

I also like your suggestion, that in the meantime, I could use the mini jack with the 8022 and try plugging this into my very little DS50. Now I think this will lead to surprising results. I'll let you know the outcome.

Very best wishes.

Andy.

[...]

Sure thing. You could though I don't do this much connect the 8022 to the H6 with the XY snap off peace on and into the mini jack on that. You'll see because of the dip between the H6 the snap off front and the right arm onto which the right mic is mounted for the H6 why I don't do this much. Now I don't know how that front peace looks on the F8N but who knows maybe it's better there.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hamit Campos" <hamitcampos@gmail.com>

[...]

frank cuta

I believe these warnings are to prevent damage that might occur by plugging
the 8022 in while the power is on. This is the case for any condenser. My
guess is that it works fine on phantom power without the battery and in fact
if you look closely at the spec sheet there may be a separate set of specs
for phantom power operation and they may be augmented.

Speaking of the H6 I would greatly appreciate it if someone could send us
their notes on how to make various changes in the menu based parameters.
There is a lot that can be accomplished by just counding the number of
clicks and its crazy that each of us with an H6 has to figure it out
independently with sighted help and make our own notes.

Thanks
Frank

[...]

-----
No virus found in this message.
Internal Virus Database is out of date.

Hamit Campos

It's not much different. The impedance drops to 250 I think it is maybe the self noise drops a bit and yes the most notable thing will be that on battery it can only take 120 DB SPL  but on phantom it'll take 8 DB more. Not impressive but there it is. The quality goes up a bit too. With phantom it sounds a bit more like the AT-4021 it's based on. Neal had said he had made a menu tree for the H6 but I don't know what happened to it. neal.ewers@ravenswood.org is the email to try.