FM Transmitters: Looking For One On The Order Of C-Crane But Has More Power

Tom Kaufman

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

Steve Jacobson

Tom,

I recently purchased two of the C. Crane transmitters. They both still had the screw to adjust power although they are a little harder to get to. However, in the case of both of my transmitters, they were set to the maximum already. An older transmitter that I had purchased definitely benefited by turning up the adjustment. It is possible they are being a little less conservative now, with the power setting. Also, the newer C. Crane transmitters reduced the digital noise that was present in the first digital versions. I have been happy with my C. Crane transmitters although I did clip a longer wire to the antenna.

I also bought another transmitter from Amazon that could transmit at 100 MW or one watt. However, when I looked just now I did not find it. Unfortunately, the low power setting seemed very much higher than 100 MW. It was a good transmitter and very quiet, but it had enough output at the low power setting that the signal would get into devices close by making them misbehave. That transmitter had a capacitor or something that went out after a year or so that generated a lot of noise in the audio. Also, some of its settings are accessed through a sort of menu with which one has to be careful. There are a number of transmitters on Amazon, but some claim a power of .05W which would be pretty low. There are some that are a watt or more, but besides being illegal, you may find that much power will disrupt other devices as I did.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

goshawk on horseback

I think a lot of that is often down to what sort of antenna you use with them.
personally, I would say if you are going to use 500mw or more power, to get longer range, get a transmitter that has a proper antenna connector, such as BNC or PL259, so that you can connect a quality antenna to it, and more to the point, so that you can place this antenna in a loft or somewhere well away from other electronic gear. if possible, make sure the antenna you get is properly tuned to the frequency you want to use your transmitter on, as this will also cut down on the chances of having SWR issues.
hope this helps.

Simon

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

stewartross

hi tom if you go to ebay.
do a search for fm transmitters.
you will get loads of results.
don't by those crappy fm senders.
you can get a stereo fm transmitter 1 watt.
tunes from 87/108mhz
from stew

from the ross meister
www.laserhothits.co.uk

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

Donald Roberts

Steve, I have a question regarding your newer C Crane transmitter. I still have a C Crane transmitter which is perhaps ten years old and still functions. One thing I found frustrating about this transmitter is that the lowest possible frequency was 88.3. I really would like the option to transmit at 87.5 if desired. Can the newer C Crane transmitter do that?

Thanks.

Don Roberts

On 12/9/2021 7:36 PM, Steve Jacobson wrote:
[...]

hay re those transmitters that u got from amazon or ebay there brilliant there in stereo, they got a good range on then.
stewart
from the ross meister
www.laserhothits.co.uk

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

I never learned how to do E-Bay, but if Amazon has any good transmitters, I
may give them a try; what I'm really after is one that'll get me a signal
good enough that, if I'm listening to something that is in stereo) I'll get
that signal all through the house...and not just a foot or two away; that's
how my transmitter performed when I first got it! But I had heard about
that screw, so had my friend give that screw a turn and...that did it! Not
the most quiet transmitter I know about (have never had anything
else...other than one of those "soundfeeders) but this one that I've had
since 2004 is the only one I've ever had! But now, all it does is throw a
carrier...but it doesn't transmit anything coming from the computer anymore!

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

Steve Jacobson

John,

Just to be certain, I checked the frequency range on my C. Crane transmitter manually. It appears that it goes from 88.3 to 107.7. It is probably the same range that your old one uses. However, I did some digging, and the higher power FM transmitter I had for a while is made by Signstek. There are a couple on Amazon. However, the low power setting on one of them is a half a watt. The one I bought was supposed to have a low power of 100 MW, but I think it was probably a half a watt besides. I had trouble running it close to anything. It came with a rubber duck style antenna which seemed pretty well matched for it, but it is possible that the trouble I had may have been remedied by a different antenna as somebody suggested earlier. The Signstek transmitter I had did have an connector for the antenna, but I do not think it was a BNC connecter. The antenna had a ring around the connector that had to be screwed down onto the transmitter's connector. It was similar to a 75-ohm cable connector but it was bigger. It was smaller than a 50-ohm connector, though.

The Signstek does go down to 76mhz. in fact, one can set the frequency range possibly even greater, although I would guess it becomes less efficient at the extremes. As I said, I was very happy with the performance of my Signstek but something happened to it after a year or so. Yet, I know of another person using that transmitter and his has lasted much longer and is still working.

In my younger days, I enjoyed experimenting with FM transmitters to see what kind of range I could get out of them. I look back and am thankful I didn't get caught. Nowadays, too much output makes me a little nervous. Placing the Signstek on the floor of my basement with its rubber duck connector still covered my block pretty well. I sometimes like putting NLS books through my transmitter and I didn't like the idea of my neighbors listening in. Therefore, I am happy with my C. Crane transmitter with extra wire added to the antenna.

Regarding the power adjustment on the C. Crane transmitter, I opened up the case to get to it. Opening the case is a little tricky because one has to lift up and move horizontally as well to be sure one does not lift up the cover with the knob of the volume control still extending through the slot in the case. It is possible that one can remove a label of some kind and avoid opening the case, but it isn't as obvious to me as it was on the older transmitters. As I said, both of mine already were set for maximum power.

I hope all of this is of some help.

Best regards,

Steve

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

Steve Jacobson

I meant Don, not John, sorry.

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

Donald Roberts

I have an fm transmitter made in China the manufacturer's name I do not know. This thing is great in terms of strong signal, in fact it is too great in that I hear harmonics all over the fm dial. Of course, this is partly due to poor harmonic rejection on the part of the radios on which I listen. I can easily pick up its signal from a distance of approximately 350 feet. It uses a rubber duck and transmits from 75 to 108 megs.

Don Roberts

On 12/10/2021 6:59 PM, Steve Jacobson wrote:
[...]

hi don
re all the harmonicks your getting.
its prob because the transmitter u got, has no filtering in it.
but they are good transmitters
you can get some good ones from china did u get yours on ebay? or amazon.
from stew
you can always get medium wave transmitters as well.
from the ross meister
www.laserhothits.co.uk

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

stewartross

hi don re that fm tx you have i have one with a power output of six watts.
and its had a filter put in it.
its got good stereo separation as well.

Hello list: Does anyone know of an FM Transmitter that works on the order
of the ones that C-Crane sells; only thing: I need it to have a little more
power than what C-CCrane has right out of the box! It used to be that the
ones that C-Crane sold had a screw that you could turn, making it more
powerful! But then I hear that they fixed it so that this no longer could
be done! My old C-Crane unit (or so it would appear) has given up the
ghost; often, I'll want to listen to something from my computer, but want to
be in the kitchen or someplace away from the computer! Hopefully there is
something out there that'll do what I need it to do.but won't drain my bank
account too much!

Thanks for any info you can pass along!

Tom Kaufman

Casey

Hi where can you get one of these transmitters?
Also how easy are they to set up for A totally blind person and what do you all need to do to set them up?

[...]

did the original supplier install the filter, or did you have to get that done elsewhere?

Simon

[...]

hi simon
the filter was put in to the transmitter by one of my friends who is an electronic enginere
he also made the stereo separation wider.
from stewart

[...]

you can get one from amazon or from ebay.
stew