Looking For Equivalent to Olympus DS-40Recorder

Tom Kaufman

Hello list: Well it would seem that I have lost my good ole Olympus DS040
digital recorder! I've looked all over in areas where I thought it might
be! But alas, it just doesn't seem to be here! I know that this series of
digital recorders don't exist anymore under DS-40 or DS-50! But what is
Olympus making now that is the equivalent? I used this recorder mainly to
record music gigs (I know it mainly is supposed to be a voice recorder) but
I found that it doesn't do bad for recording live music! I also liked this
machine because of its size (small enough that I could just stick it in my
pocket) so assuming that I cannot locate the one I have, I'd surely love to
find a good replacement for it; I'd even go for the equivalent to the DS-50
(which might be even better; also would like to know where would be the best
place to find one here in the U.S.A.?

Thanks,

Tom Kaufman

Norma A. Boge <naboge@...>

Tom, you might want to look on Ebay, I got 26 hits for Olympus DS 40, some
new, some preowned. And I'm sure they would have some DS 50 listings as
well. HTH Norma

[...]

rsnelson@...

Tom,

The best unit to replace your old recorder is LS-P2 which you can read about
on the page:
https://www.olympus.com.au/Products/audio/Sound-(Music-Field)/LS-P2/Overview

The list price is shown as $179 but I'm sure that if you look around you
will find it cheaper.

Don't let the hype on the web page fool you. This is a small unit that will
easily fit in a shirt pocket and is, for the most part, simple to use.
You'd better make that a shirt pocket with a button down flap because unless
you wrap the P2 in a tissue, it will slip out when you bend over. Better
still, buy a Gutman wind screen for it.

It is the replacement for the LS-14 and, like the LS-14, has voiced
menus.Bob Nelson

[...]

Hello Norma and list: I sure wish I knew how to navigate EBay;
unfortunately that is something I've never learned to work! I'd like to
find at least something that works the same as the DS-40 (or DS-50) someone
posted info to another device (and I do intend to check it out as well) if I
do end up going the route of EBay, I may lean toward the DS-50 as my
girlfriend does have one; I've heard a recording that she made with it...and
it seemed to record a little cleaner than what my DS-40 did! Ideally I'd
love to find my DS-40, but I've about given up on the idea of it still being
here, although I haven't a clue as to how it disappeared! But thanks to the
suggestions I have seen so far!
Much appreciated!

[...]

Bob and list: Is this particular recorder as accessible as the old DS-40 or
DS0-50 used to be; maybe more so?

[...]

What's that the LS-P2? yes it's actually more so. You can actually set the date and time yourself. Olympus finally contracted that british lady to say the numbers and things. I don't get why they d

idn't in the first place but oh well there it is. There's also the DM720 for consumers that is also as accessible.

On 12/21/2017 2:18 PM, Tom Kaufman wrote:
[...]

Okay...so what are differences bbetween the DM-570, LS-p2 and DS-4- (or 50); they all sound nice, but really don't know much about either one except for the DS-40 and DS-50, which probably isn't made anymore!

[...]

Sorry; I meant to say DM720!
Tom

[...]

Ah well in either case the answer is still yes. the DM720 is the more consumerish music player thing of today. Where the P2 is part of the proish LS line. but yes it's quite accessable. Note that the DM I think still only goes up to DVD quality. Which is PCM 48 KHZ 16 bits. Only the LSs do 96 24 bits Blu-Ray quality.

On 12/21/2017 3:39 PM, Tom Kaufman wrote:
Sorry; I meant to say DM720!
Tom

[...]

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

Hi,
I am actually looking to replace my DS 50 which is about fifteen years old now and finally worn out. I really liked that model except for the hiss in the recording. I am hoping to find something with equal or better sound quality and equal accessibility. The LS P2 has been recommended to me on multiple lists. I asked for something that was more than consumer level recording. Since losing the rest of my vision I lost access to all the really cool multitrack options that I know of out there.
Merv

[...]

Ah yes then indeed the LS-P2 will do fine. I would also personally recomend the now gone LS-14. But not sure how you could get this as apparently Olympus doesn't sell it no more.

On 12/21/2017 3:46 PM, Merv Keck wrote:
[...]

Aidan

Intresting, I wasn't aware that ls14 is gone. I'm glad I have one.
Well, don't forget there is hopefully stil the ls100 if its not gone
either. Although I think they will hang on to it for longer as its
their only multitrack option rite now.

On 22/12/2017, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
[...]

Ah the 100. My favorite. The 1 I actually wanted but due to lack of dough got the 14. But there's goodness to the 14 that the 100 lacks. Mainly the smart mode. Love that feature. I forget now what else I'd add but there indeed are things about the 14 better over the 100. Ah I just remembered another 1 Neal pointed out. The Compressors only working on individual channals instead of boath at once. So let's say you have your 100 and 2 awesome Rode NT1-A mikes hooked. As I remember the problem if something goes loud on the left the compressor only compresses that channal. The other 1 stays the same. So there's that. I don't know if quick mode would be something for something like the 100. After all would the target audience for it use a quick out of the box just hit record and Olympus deals with the rest kinda mode? I would think those whom the 100 is aimed at would set their own leval as most will know about recording and apropiate levals. Now smart mode would come in handy cause you can't always predict what's gonna happen. Or if there's a particular situation where you don't know the right level. So yeah I wish they'd update the 100. Or make something like the Zoom H4 at least. Don't know if they would ever do something like the H6. Though that would be awesome as you can record with 6 mikes thus you get 5.1.

On 12/22/2017 4:34 PM, Aidan wrote:
[...]

As to the 14 being gone yeah I'm surprised too as it was being sold as the side arm as it were to the 100. Meh the 14 is the 1 you throw your ideas at you use to practise and what not. Then once it's time to make that project a reality and send it to mastering to make it loud out comes the LS 100 and you make your project and burn that sucker to CD. Yeah that's a cool feature that the 100 has that I think and I only think that only Sound Devices recorders have. I could be wrong though. Oh and that's another thing. The way the 14 does the over dub is better. I forget how the 100 does it but the 14 is better in that it just creates more and more wav files as you dub more and more. So if you mess up just get rid of the newest file. No throwing the whole project away and having to restart it all.

[...]

Well, the 14 don't have a compressor as far as I no, or at least not
one you can adjust, only a limiter. But 100 have both limiter and
compressor.

On 23/12/2017, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:
[...]

Ah yeah that's right. But I seem to remember Neal having that channal issue with boath. But yes you're right. It's a limiter that the 14 has. A digital 1 I might add. Which a guy on youtube named Curtus Jud doesn't verry much like. Cause as it's a software thing the distorsion can still happen and ruen your audio before the limiter does it's thing to it. He says an analaug 1 on the pres is better. Mind you though this guy is a pro. He does TV adds and stuff. Which I guess the 100 is kinda for people like him. I always just considered the LS-100 the accessible version of something like the Zoom H4N Pro.

On 12/23/2017 10:03 AM, Aidan wrote:
[...]

I didn't realize the LS 100 was still accessible. I had heard it had some issues back when it was first released.
Merv

[...]

Ah which issues were those? Meh I can't tell you how accessible it is now VS then as I saddly have never had 1. But if you list the issues It might refresh my memory.

On 12/23/2017 11:36 AM, Merv Keck wrote:
[...]

I seem to remember hearing that the 100 did not speak all of the menus when it first came out. That may have been corrected since.

[...]

vinny Samarco

The Ls 14 is gone? Nuts! Isomeone sent me a Neal Ewers review of the ls 14, but I didn't know how old that was, as there was no date on it. I need a digital recorder which will be accessible for a piano cd. My old ptr2 plextor machine just died.
Vinny