CDEX

Andy

Hi all.

I've recently purchased from Amazon the last and final album from Mr Leonard Cohen, who has recently passed away.

I wish to keep this CD in the best of nick, though wish to listen to it on my Win10 computer.

I've download a programme called CDEX and tried to convert the CD into Wav or MP3 files.

I knew that when loaded I'd simply have to press F9.

I heard JAWS announce each track being converted.

Now whet?

I've looked inMy Documents and also My Music but there is nothing new in any of these.

I think I need to press a second button, perhaps F8, F9 10 or 11.

Can anyone please remind me just how to go through the steps of converting please.

Very best wishes.

Andy.

Barry Chapman

Hi Andy,

If you heard them converting then you don't need to press anything else.

By default, I think the files are placed in the CDEX folder in Program
Files. To find out where, when in CDEX, press F4. Arrow up or down to
Directories & files and tab 3 times. You should hear the directory where the
files are. This can be changed.

If the titles are 01-AudioTrack 01.mp3 etc, then you need to configure CDEX
to look up the titles database. Of course, it might not have that particular
CD.

Regards,
Barry Chapman

I've recently purchased from Amazon the last and final album from Mr Leonard
Cohen, who has recently passed away.

I wish to keep this CD in the best of nick, though wish to listen to it on
my Win10 computer.

I've download a programme called CDEX and tried to convert the CD into Wav
or MP3 files.

I knew that when loaded I'd simply have to press F9.

I heard JAWS announce each track being converted.

Now whet?

I've looked inMy Documents and also My Music but there is nothing new in any
of these.

I think I need to press a second button, perhaps F8, F9 10 or 11.

Can anyone please remind me just how to go through the steps of converting
please.

Very best wishes.

Andy.

Andy

Hi Barry.

I whent into my programe files and found it sitting there. I entered on it and there was all the files correctly titled in WAV format.

My old copy of CDEX was years ago, so now this bata version also titles eeach track so that's magic.

I'm going to mess about more with it tomorrow because what's the use of CD's anyway?

[...]

Thanks Andy. As you probably know, you can also create the files in MP3
format at various bit rates if you prefer.

Regards,
Barry Chapman

[...]

JM Casey

All that stuff: Where the files go, how they're named, etc -- is
configurable within Cdex and always has been.

[...]

Howard Traxler

How can I get CDex to get titles?  One of the choices on the CDDB menu is Winammp DB but it's not available.  Maybe there's a setting in Winamp that would make it available?

On 6/7/2020 6:07 PM, JM Casey wrote:
[...]

I'm actually not sure about that one as as far as I know none of the databases have worked for a while. I just add in my titles manually nowadays. Haha
I doubt theres' any winamp setting either as anything winamp accesses is long since out of date, now, and gone. I removed the plugin from winamp because it was literally doing nothing anymore but querying a nonexistent database.

Ther'es bound to be something about it all in the Cdex documetnation though. Maybe I'll have a look later on as I'm curious now.

I've recently purchased from Amazon the last and final album from Mr
Leonard Cohen, who has recently passed away.

I wish to keep this CD in the best of nick, though wish to listen to
it on my Win10 computer.

I've download a programme called CDEX and tried to convert the CD
into Wav or MP3 files.

I knew that when loaded I'd simply have to press F9.

I heard JAWS announce each track being converted.

Now whet?

I've looked inMy Documents and also My Music but there is nothing new
in any of these.

I think I need to press a second button, perhaps F8, F9 10 or 11.

Can anyone please remind me just how to go through the steps of
converting please.

Very best wishes.

Andy.

Barry Chapman

Hi Howard,

1. Launch CDEX.
2. Press F4 and arrow down to Remote freedb.
3. Tab to the Remote Server Combo box and make sure the freedb.freedb.org http 80 (freedb, Random freedb server) is selected.
4. Tab to Your E-mail address edit box and enter an email address. It doesn't need to be your real address. Something like bill@... will do.
5. Tab to OK and press enter.

I just tried it and it works for me.

Regards,
Barry Chapman

[...]

Thanks Barry,
One more question about CDex:
I think I downloaded 1.77.  Wonder if it's 32 or 64 bit program? Which folder should it go in?
Program Files
or
Program Files (x86)
?
Once I get it in place, I'll set it up properly.

On 6/7/2020 8:54 PM, Barry Chapman wrote:
[...]

I think there is only a 32-bit version, so (x86). Windows should automatically take care of this when you install...

I've recently purchased from Amazon the last and final album from Mr
Leonard Cohen, who has recently passed away.

I wish to keep this CD in the best of nick, though wish to listen to
it on my Win10 computer.

I've download a programme called CDEX and tried to convert the CD
into Wav or MP3 files.

I knew that when loaded I'd simply have to press F9.

I heard JAWS announce each track being converted.

Now whet?

I've looked inMy Documents and also My Music but there is nothing
new in any of these.

I think I need to press a second button, perhaps F8, F9 10 or 11.

Can anyone please remind me just how to go through the steps of
converting please.

Very best wishes.

Andy.

Howard Traxler

Thanks, guys, for all your help. But now:
This thing takes from 20 to 30 minutes to rip a 45 minute CD.  It used to work a lot faster when I did it on my XP machine.  Have I got something set wrong?  And I'd like to rip at a fixed rate of 128, but it's giving me a variable bit rate.  How can I fix that?

On 6/8/2020 2:36 PM, JM Casey wrote:
[...]

stewartross

hi all
sorry to ask
where can u get the latest and best version of cdex from.
from stewart
does anyone no of an audio programme that i can use in my radio studio
to make my voice make the sound of a sonovox?

I've recently purchased from Amazon the last and final album from Mr
Leonard Cohen, who has recently passed away.

I wish to keep this CD in the best of nick, though wish to listen to
it on my Win10 computer.

I've download a programme called CDEX and tried to convert the CD
into Wav or MP3 files.

I knew that when loaded I'd simply have to press F9.

I heard JAWS announce each track being converted.

Now whet?

I've looked inMy Documents and also My Music but there is nothing
new in any of these.

I think I need to press a second button, perhaps F8, F9 10 or 11.

Can anyone please remind me just how to go through the steps of
converting please.

Very best wishes.

Andy.

Barry Chapman

Hi Howard,

When in CDEX, press F4. Arrow up or down to Encoders. Tab and you will come to options for the bit rate, VBR etc. The time it takes to rip might have something to do with your quality setting which you will come to if you keep tabbing. The higher the quality setting, the longer it will take. I set mine to high.

Regards,
Barry Chapman

I've recently purchased from Amazon the last and final album from Mr
Leonard Cohen, who has recently passed away.

I wish to keep this CD in the best of nick, though wish to listen to
it on my Win10 computer.

I've download a programme called CDEX and tried to convert the CD
into Wav or MP3 files.

I knew that when loaded I'd simply have to press F9.

I heard JAWS announce each track being converted.

Now whet?

I've looked inMy Documents and also My Music but there is nothing
new in any of these.

I think I need to press a second button, perhaps F8, F9 10 or 11.

Can anyone please remind me just how to go through the steps of
converting please.

Very best wishes.

Andy.

Howard Traxler

Thanks Barry, I think I have it now.
Howard

On 6/8/2020 4:53 PM, Barry Chapman wrote:
[...]

You can set the bitrate in the preferences dialogue, under the encoding tab I believe.
As for how long it takes...well, could it be it's set to only 1 or 2x speed? Definitely shouldn't be slower nowadays. Mine is certainly a hell of a lot faster but this also depends on the speed of your drive....