Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 9. september 2019 13:20
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: Re: [all-audio] digital audio recorders: looking for a specific type

I can’t honestly be sure but I can say that the LS-P4 is far better than the LS14 for recording quiet scenes.
I think the “Look Ahead” buffer in the LS-P4 is a far better idea than that of the “Smart Level” function of the LS14.

On 9 Sep 2019, at 7:36 pm, Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...> wrote:

I mean for recording. Is it more quiet than the ls14?

On 9/9/19, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:
So what aspect of sound are you referring to, playback sound?
If so then the LS-P4 has a smaller internal speaker than the LS-14
and the
LS-P4 on playback through the internal speaker sounds compressed so
again, wise to use headphones or another speaker of some sort.
The whole point of internal speakers to me is totally irrelevant as
I’ve never believed portable recorders should have them anyway - and
most of the better quality recorders don’t -, I’d rather a top
quality speaker or no speaker at all.

On 9 Sep 2019, at 7:27 pm, Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...> wrote:

The dm7 is also just as accessible as the dm4, and it seem to be
gone, but what I like to know, is how does the sound of the lsp4
compair to the ls14? Also the auto gain. I normally like olympus
auto gain, but on the ls14 they didn't do a good jog there.

On 9/9/19, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:
I guess the DM initials made me think the DM720 had disappeared, I
had a
DM4
years ago.

On 9 Sep 2019, at 12:12 pm, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

What made you think this was gone? I thought it came out along
with either the P2 or P4. I should look into the 620 either on
EBay or Amazon. More as an MP3 player than a recorder. Because my
mile stone died and I don't like how the 14 doesn't hold your
place and goes too far back or forward when you rewind or fast
forward.

On 9/8/2019 9:33 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Speaking of Olympus recorders I just picked up a DM-720.
I thought the DM-720 had long been discontinued.
I plan to use this recorder for general dictation work and note
taking.

On 9 Sep 2019, at 11:22 am, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...>
wrote:

Yeah the LS-14 design is cool. I love the rubber down the sides.
Reminds
me of the Zoom H2. I haven't felt up an H2N or an H5 which I
recall Neal meantioning has rubber like stuff on it. In the case
of the 100 though I've never felt 1 up I do find that there's
something questionable wiht it what whith how wind gets into the
side. Something must not be seeled right.

On 9/8/2019 8:16 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
I don't know anything about the LS-7.
I have an Ls-14 which I also like a lot but it is radically
different than the LS-P4 and the LS-100 units I have.
In my opinion the LS-14 is the best built of all the Olympus
recorders with a tough plastic body and good rubber feet.
The feet of the LS-P4 are one of the recorders weaknesses and
won't last too long.