High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Well this isn't quite true I suppose if you don't have a Shortwave receiver capable of receiving DRM but the poss ability is now more real than ever.

Ausie Radio - Australia's only domestic Shortwave broadcaster - is hoping to soon broadcast using DRM, they're just requiring the appropriate approvals.

This will mean FM quality sound through your DRM receiver and will not affect the standard Shortwave broadcast.

The idea of DRM is to reduce fading and all the other affects standard analogue Shortwave reception is known for but there ar downsides.

The reception of the signal has to be solid or the DRM portion won't be heard and you'll only hear the Analogue Shortwave signal instead.

Tecsun have a DRM model available and Tecsun Radios in Australia should be receiving stock of this shortly.

Other International Shortwave broadcasters are using DRM on a regular basis including Radio New Zealand's Pacific service and Radio India.

If you don't have a DRM capable radio then you can buy radio sets with connections to enable the radio to be connected to a computer running the appropriate DRM decoding software, examples of such compatible radio sets are the CC SW and Tecsun S-2000 or Grundig Satelite 750.

--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"

Steve Jacobson

Dane,

Is this similar to our AM HD broadcasting in the United States? I wonder if this is the same station I used to enjoylistening to some years back. It was a regional Australian station broadcasting local programming and news, not the overseas service, and I used to hear it often in the morning here in Minnesota on the 31 meter band. It would be interesting to see if the DRM signal would come through here. It used to put in a pretty stable signal considering the distance.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

[...]

I believe that DRM has similar qualities to your AM HD system - IBOC as its known - however DRM is an open standard where as IBOC requires a license to use it.
AusieRadio is a new shortwave service formed to cover Australia - in particular the Outback - to replace the ABC Shortwave domestic service which was switched off last year.
If you want to try and receive AusieRadio then try either 4835 or 5045KHZ

On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:25 pm, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I will give it a try. Chances will not be as good on the lower
frequencies, but should make it here when reception is good.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

[...]

If you can’t receive it where you are then try one of the Australian web based SDR’S at http://www.sdr.hu <http://www.sdr.hu/> and see if you may get it through one of those.
I have no trouble getting good reception here and I’m around a thousand miles south of the transmitter I believe.

On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:43 pm, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

[...]

I have a question for you on a related topic.

Where you're living is near the border of Canada right? If so could you give me the ID of the Canadian station on 1010KHZ? I think it might be part of a CBC network.

On 19/04/2018 12:43 PM, Steve Jacobson wrote:
[...]

Your geography is good. We are on the Canadian border in minndsota although the border is probably 300 miles north of Minneapolis. There is a CBC station on 1010 KHZ in Calgury Alberta. It covers a pretty wide area. There is also a commercial station that I believe is still broadcasting in Toronto. It was CFRB, and had a short wave outlet of CFRX on 6070 KHZ, but I don't know the current status of that station. Let me know if this helps.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

[...]

Yes it helps and thanks.
I heard the station on 1010KHZ when I was listening to a SDR in Idaho USA and up until that time I didn’t know where Idaho was, that’s on the border with Canada or close to as I understand it.

On 20 Apr 2018, at 1:03 am, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

[...]

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of the halfwits in this world behind.

Steve Jacobson

Dane,

The Calgury station would likely put in a very good signal in most of Idaho, especially northern Idaho.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

[...]

I still would like to know how you tune with the aro keys
you said that u can do this dane at least I thought you did?
if so please help me because I can't get anything to work
and I tried just about everything
seriously
thanks
Hank

.
--
check out my song on youtube
https://youtu.be/YeWgx2LRu7Y

also forgot to mention I use nvda

but clearly people are able to tune up and down the band other wise the people would not be able to tune the sdrs
so am wanting to know how to do this
[...]

I Didn’t say that you could tune with the arrow keys.
What I did say was that there were various ways of tuning and with some you were going to have to use the tools your Screen Reader of choice offers.
The most obvious way of tuning is via direct frequency entry and an edit box comes up by default where you type your frequency and press enter, the SDR will then navigate to the chosen frequency though this may take around 2 seconds.
The next way is to click on the up/down buttons for tuning and there are several sets of these that tune in different step sizes, for example there are plus and minus 9KHZ step buttons for Medium-Wave, 5KHZ buttons for Shortwave, 100KHZ buttons for larger steps and so on.
A simple click with the mouse on either of these buttons will cause the SDR to move up or down in the chosen step size.
Other buttons and combo boxes are on the screen to control band selection, encoder - if available - IF band filter etc.

On 20 Apr 2018, at 4:25 am, The Wolf <hank.smith966@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello
this is what info I was after
also thank you for correcting me on tuning for some reason I thought that you said that you could tune with the aro keys also thank you for the explanations on what did what on the sdr I like the way you explain things.
<happy smily>
on a side note though
I have been in touch with the folks at kiwi sdr on the keyboard shortcuts the developer has had a visually impaired email him on the list he did say that he was working on it
when I contacted him the second time he said that some code was conflicting and that he had to get a I think it was a sattle lite tracking or something feature wise out the door
I haven't contacted him sense
that was about a month ago
I will contact him again
perhaps you all could contact him as well so he knows that other visually impaired users would also like the keyboard shortcuts
but he is working on it wich is a good thing
thanks
Hank