Topics

Olympus LS-P4 Recorder

Dane Trethowan

Neal's talking about the LS-P2 isn't he and not the P4? I've no idea how similar or different these machines are.

I did think about purchasing the LS-P2 as Ferguson Enterprises had it on sale.

I originally wanted to purchase a LS-14 but that model is now discontinued as we all know.

A friend advised me of a local Olympus dealer who he thought had the LS-14 in stock as it was listed on the web page.

Unfortunately that web page listing was out of date so the dealer asked me if I'd like to purchase the LS-P4 which - according to Olympus Australia - is the replacement model for the LS-14.

One can only hope that there are improvements at the very least with the LS-P4 over the LS-p2.

One thing I did notice which is interesting, if you have a Bluetooth speaker connected to the LS-P4 and you have the recorder set to record using FLAC then the recorder will change to PCM mode for recording for whatever reason but no need to panic as the LS-P4 does indeed warn you that the mode has changed when you go into "Record Standby" mode.

On 6/04/2018 12:19 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Yeah and basically that's what Neal said it's good fore. It's supposed to be good for music too by how it's sold but Neal dissagreed with that.

On 4/4/2018 11:12 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
I’ve not heard Neal’s review on the P2 as yet so I’m none the wiser there.
I only plan to use this recorder for general use so for that it will do just fine particularly given the size of the recorder and the fact it takes 1 AAA type battery.

On 5 Apr 2018, at 1:07 pm, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

I just grabbed it. Hmmmm this has a bit of a bigger sound then the P2. But then again you didn't shut the middle Omni off right? Neal for what ever reason just hates that omni. It's kinda funny actually how it gets under his skin. Meh maybe he's right. an omni between 2 cardioids may not be a good idea. I'd have to get an H5 at least 3 real seperate mikes, and try it for reals. Cause they are too little even on the 14 and too near to each other to really see what having that omni there actually does bad.

On 4/4/2018 10:57 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Here’s a link to the second recording I’ve made thus far with the Olympus LS-p4 and that’s not bad going given I’ve only had the recorder for half an hour and I stopped for a lunch break <smile>
I’d like to make it clear that there’s nothing special about this recording and no precautions were taken.
The Olympus was in auto level mode and I didn’t fit a windscreen so you’ll find that out for yourself I’m sure.
I explain what I’ve found out about the recorder thus far so enjoy or not as the case may be.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nxi4lpbjy4fbf9i/180406_0002.flac?dl=0

--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"

Rick Alfaro

Hi. I'm wondering how the speaker sounds on this model. I currently own the dm720 and also had the lsp2 for a short time which I returned. The one thing I really don't like on many of the Olympus recorders is that they use really tiny and tinny sounding speakers with little volume. I think they can and should do better. How would you describe the sound characteristics of the builtin speaker of the lsp4? Amazon currently has this model for $180 with free prime shipping.

[...]

The speaker of a recorder to me at least isn't all that important as I always carry around a pair of headphones and I often wonder why manufacturers bother to build speakers into recorders in the first place, after all I buy the recorder to record with.

One thing I do like with the LS-P4 is the ability to output sound through a Bluetooth speaker or headset.

Some of the best speakers I've heard in recorders go to the Olympus LS-100 and the Zoom H6.

On 6/04/2018 2:18 AM, Rick Alfaro wrote:
[...]

Ah look at what Zoom calls the speaker. It's called a confidence speaker. So for the sighted I guess it's just to see how the sound came out. Though not in a real good way. For us the blind it helpes in that you can hear something thus know the thing is even on. Now I agree with ya that you should at least have some ear buds. But some people and Neal apparently is 1 don't like doing that. Well Neal also uses those in ear mikes Larry Scutchann did.

On 4/8/2018 6:20 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

Consider this.

How could anyone possibly Gage the quality of a recording through small speakers that aren't even designed to sound any good rather they just appear to be put into a recorder as an afterthought.

Good recorders in the past have not necessarily had any speakers in them at all and I can give perfect examples of this.

The Sony Wmd-6 professional cassette walkman.

The Sony MZR-900 Minidisc recorder.

The Sony PCM-D50 recorder.

The above machines sold not because of any internal speaker but because they were good quality recorders.

Another point, do you expect to be able to judge how good a music file sounds just through listening to the internal speaker of your phone? Coruse not.

The Victor Reader Stream may I remind you doesn't even come with a good quality sound from its internal speaker.

On 9/04/2018 10:59 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
[...]

Yeah that's all true. I actually have no true idea why they are there. I do know some people like them though. Like I said Neal does. Personally my self though I do if the machine speaks. but like you said in the case of the zooms well they don't make music, they don't talk or beap so why bother. What's more the H6 you know it's on due to the mikes being open. But I'm sure you don't hear this on the builtin. Otherwize the feed back will drive ya batty. Trust me I know from instances with the PTR 1 and 2. Also from opening the mikes on the LS 14 with the recorder hooked to the soundlink mini. But yeah I don't really listen to stuff on the built in. But just was giving ya a Zoom statement from 1 of their vids. That's at least why they said they do it. Just so you can be sure something captured. But yeah well in the case of the Olympus recorders I've had and on the LS-14 I can say meh I wouldn't really use that confidence speaker for serious listening. Yeah the VR Stream speaker ain't all that good either. Plextalk always did better. But then my ears got too use to Bose. lol. Na seriously last year when I brought out the PTR 1 again and listened to something on it I was like dude what the hell? This little speaker sucks. I ccan't believe I once loved that quality. This ain't no Bose. Ah now I remember what I listened to. I burned Neal's LS-100 podcast to a CD and listened to my favorite part. The Rode NT1-A demos. None of the sole none of that movie center channal presenze that makes it sound like Neal's right with ya and none of the epic chrispness came threw the PTR1. lol.

On 4/8/2018 9:04 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

I suppose Olympus take the view that most of their users can see the level meters so they do know that the audio is being heard by the microphones and then the record est would know the audio was being recorded when the elapsed and remaining times were displayed on the screen.

I think the US models of Olympus recorders come supplied with Earbuds or at least they did.

The last 2 Olympus recorders I bought locally and they didn't really come with much in the way ofr accessories and certainly didn't come with earbuds.

On 9/04/2018 12:33 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
[...]

Anders Holmberg

Hi!
I’ve always wondered why they care to build phones and other devices with stereo speakers when they’re not as good as a portable speaker.
I rather listen to music via headphones on any portable device i can get.
The stream was a very good example as it doesn’t offer any good at all.
/A

9 apr. 2018 kl. 03:04 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

[...]

Remember when Boomboxes were in voge? The speakers in those were - as a rule - God damn awful but remember how much better your boombox sounded when you connected headphones, used extension speakers etc.

On 9/04/2018 1:58 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
[...]

Yeah and the other problem with boom boxes was that unless the thing was in your face you can't easely hear the stereo spread. That's why I vslouched so much.

On 4/9/2018 1:15 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

Well I can't judge as I've not bought either the DM-620 or 720. The LS recorders I'm assuming as they are supposedly more pro don't. But the DMs as they are more music player focused I guess they use to feel needed them. But again I've not bought the 620 or 720 so don't know any more. But the LS-14 didn't and as far as I know the 100 doesn't either cause neal went threw what's in the box. Again though the LS recorders are supposedly more pro so I guess they expect you'd use more pro gear.

On 4/8/2018 10:39 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

Given your biggest reason for the recorder, you are correct. My biggest reason however is for note taking, and I hate wearing headphones so the sound of the speaker for playback is important to me. I love the fact that Voice Guidance is there for a lot of the Olympus recorders but I do wish they did a better job on their internal speakers.

[...]

Robin Frost

Hi,
Wow I've never gotten earbuds with any Olympus I've ever bought in the States. How interesting.
Take good care.
Robin

[...]

Ah that's interesting. Well I can't comment on all Olympuses but that is curious. I know the DM-420 520 and actually though I didn't buy it I think according to Hope Pavenmire's podcast which saddly I've lost she did say the 620 did come with ear buds. Now though I've touched the DS players used DS players and stuff, I have no idea if those come with buds.

-----Original Message----- From: Dane Trethowan

[...]

I wish they'd make them better too as long as they have them. But I guess like Zoom said about theirs, it's just a confidence speaker. It's just so you're sure your mikes are working. Not really for serious listening.

On 4/9/2018 12:35 PM, Rick Alfaro wrote:
[...]

Mind you I do wonder why companies bother giving us Earbuds, the cardboard packing of the recorder etc is probably worth more <smile>.

On 10 Apr 2018, at 2:46 am, Robin Frost <robini71@...> wrote:

[...]

smile. Actually once the fome came off I thought the DM420 buds were
quite good. They were pretty bright. Godzilla 1998 doing the tornado
blast roar sounded pretty good on them. The bass wasn't bose amazing but
meh it was axeptable.

On 4/9/2018 2:52 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

Yes the sound of the speaker is important to you but its not even important to Olympus who actually recommend in the manual that you use headphones either wired or Bluetooth wireless for best playback results.
The speaker is a secondary function that’s there for convenience and naut else.
Halmet’s right when he talks about Zoom calling the internal speakers of their recorders “Confidence” speakers but the sound of those certainly doesn’t give me any confidence <smile>.

On 10 Apr 2018, at 2:35 am, Rick Alfaro <rick.alfaro@...> wrote:

[...]

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of the halfwits in this world behind.

Hamit Campos

lol. How are the zoom ones by the way? For that matter how is the one on the LS-100? I mean these are more pro recorders so the H recorders from Zoom and the LS-100 should have beter speakers. Well at the verry least beterish compaired to the ones we are mostly talking about here.

On 4/10/2018 6:57 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
[...]

The speaker in the Zoom H1 is a shocker but at least its there if you care about such things.
The speaker in the LS-100 is a 2 inch speaker that sounds rather good but again I don’t rely on it.