Date   
Re: Portable digital recorders

Hamit Campos
 

Ah yes Gena. Another thing I was gonna say you forgot 1. If it's just 1 condencer you may just need a Zoom H4N Pro. Again I know it's annoying to need eyes for the screen. I remind Zoom every chance I get. Also you must remember if you do pause recording that you did that because it won't beep at you. So my best suggestion since you I think said are using a condencer and need phantum is to get even on Amazon an LS-100 of Olympus. Shame on them for discontinuing it. But this will be easyer. It talks like most Olympus recorders but for the time and date settings so get someone to set that once and forget it. The phantum like on Tascam recorders and Marantz ones is on switches. So you can shut it off or activate it on the fly unlike the zooms. The vultage you can set in the menus. I would have gotten it but for 1 it's discontinued and 2 I want to actually record in surround sound. The H6 can do just that. This is because you can hook up 6 mics to it. Yes mics 5 and 6 need externl power because the EX H6 peace doesn't spit phantum but oh wells like my nephew Jonathan says.

On 6/7/2019 5:43 PM, Christopher Wright wrote:
Hi Gena,

What do you plan to do with this stuff? You might not need a digital recorder.





On 6/7/2019 4:46 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello,

I am just started, currently I only have a Yeti that I have used for years and a dynamic ATR-2100, the beginner’s mic. I have got my focus on a AT-2035 but I need to be careful how much I am spending. But father Christmas might bring me a Cad E-100S. I am only looking at cardioid pattern at the moment. The Zoom would enable me to use the 2100 and be ready for any direction of growth I wish.

Thanks for the encouragement. I wondered when you make settings are they maintained each time you turn it on? Also when you change the batteries are the menu options held?

Thanks,

On 7 Jun 2019, at 21:20, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

What kinda condencer do you have? I bought the H6 for the same reason. I have an Audio-Technica AT-8022 stereo mic. Comprized of 2 modded AT-4021s.

On 6/7/2019 3:55 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

I wondered if anyone was using a good portable digital recorder? I like the idea of the Zoom H5 or 6 but I see that it is necessary to navigate menus. So I guess it’s not an option for me.

I require an XLR and phantom power for my mic. What are the experiences of others?

Thanks,

Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73


Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73



Re: Portable digital recorders

Christopher Wright
 

Hi Gena,

What do you plan to do with this stuff? You might not need a digital recorder.

On 6/7/2019 4:46 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello,

I am just started, currently I only have a Yeti that I have used for years and a dynamic ATR-2100, the beginner’s mic. I have got my focus on a AT-2035 but I need to be careful how much I am spending. But father Christmas might bring me a Cad E-100S. I am only looking at cardioid pattern at the moment. The Zoom would enable me to use the 2100 and be ready for any direction of growth I wish.

Thanks for the encouragement. I wondered when you make settings are they maintained each time you turn it on? Also when you change the batteries are the menu options held?

Thanks,

On 7 Jun 2019, at 21:20, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

What kinda condencer do you have? I bought the H6 for the same reason. I have an Audio-Technica AT-8022 stereo mic. Comprized of 2 modded AT-4021s.

On 6/7/2019 3:55 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

I wondered if anyone was using a good portable digital recorder? I like the idea of the Zoom H5 or 6 but I see that it is necessary to navigate menus. So I guess it’s not an option for me.

I require an XLR and phantom power for my mic. What are the experiences of others?

Thanks,

Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73


Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73


--




Christopher Wright - helping podcasters, trainers, and speakers produce and publish great spoken word audio without spending hours on editing
Phone: 914-664-5014 [If I don't respond within thirty seconds, you can leave a voicemail. If you would like to speak with me, please request an appointment]
email: chris@...
web site: www.wright-media.com
Twitter: @chrisw1
Skype: wrightmedia1
Linked In profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/wrightmedia

Re: Portable digital recorders

Georgina Joyce
 

Hello,

I am just started, currently I only have a Yeti that I have used for years and a dynamic ATR-2100, the beginner’s mic. I have got my focus on a AT-2035 but I need to be careful how much I am spending. But father Christmas might bring me a Cad E-100S. I am only looking at cardioid pattern at the moment. The Zoom would enable me to use the 2100 and be ready for any direction of growth I wish.

Thanks for the encouragement. I wondered when you make settings are they maintained each time you turn it on? Also when you change the batteries are the menu options held?

Thanks,

On 7 Jun 2019, at 21:20, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

What kinda condencer do you have? I bought the H6 for the same reason. I have an Audio-Technica AT-8022 stereo mic. Comprized of 2 modded AT-4021s.

On 6/7/2019 3:55 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

I wondered if anyone was using a good portable digital recorder? I like the idea of the Zoom H5 or 6 but I see that it is necessary to navigate menus. So I guess it’s not an option for me.

I require an XLR and phantom power for my mic. What are the experiences of others?

Thanks,

Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73



Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73

Re: Portable digital recorders

Hamit Campos
 

What kinda condencer do you have? I bought the H6 for the same reason. I have an Audio-Technica AT-8022 stereo mic. Comprized of 2 modded AT-4021s.

On 6/7/2019 3:55 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

I wondered if anyone was using a good portable digital recorder? I like the idea of the Zoom H5 or 6 but I see that it is necessary to navigate menus. So I guess it’s not an option for me.

I require an XLR and phantom power for my mic. What are the experiences of others?

Thanks,

Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73


Re: Portable digital recorders

Hamit Campos
 

Well the H5 and 6 would be great. Yes you will need help with the menus but you could use be my eyes or Aira. Unlesss you want to try and find an LS 100.

On 6/7/2019 3:55 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

I wondered if anyone was using a good portable digital recorder? I like the idea of the Zoom H5 or 6 but I see that it is necessary to navigate menus. So I guess it’s not an option for me.

I require an XLR and phantom power for my mic. What are the experiences of others?

Thanks,

Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73


Portable digital recorders

Georgina Joyce
 

Hello All,

I wondered if anyone was using a good portable digital recorder? I like the idea of the Zoom H5 or 6 but I see that it is necessary to navigate menus. So I guess it’s not an option for me.

I require an XLR and phantom power for my mic. What are the experiences of others?

Thanks,

Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73

Understanding the Behringer Q802USB via a Mac

Georgina Joyce
 

Hello All,

I have joined this list because I am struggling to get some new equipment working and could do with some help.

I have, Behringer Q802USB. An Audio-Technica ATR-2100. I want to take the audio from a Windows PC via the mixer and record from the mic and PC on my Mac. However, I can select USB Audio Codec as my input source on OS-X but the level controls are greyed out in Amadeus Pro. I only have headphones for monitoring the mixer's activity. I see from several youtube videos that this mixer cannot use the USB connection as both input and output. I have understood the USB Phones button needs to be pressed but any combination does not provide the Mac with the mixer input.

Once I get that situation sorted out I need to understand how to set up the stage. i.e. I don't understand how to use the level controls with the monitor and master controls as there is no switch to turn a channel in or out of the master.

Does anyone have the 802 USB or similar and can they nudge me into the right direction?

Thanks,

Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73

Re: Voice Assistants

Brian Olesen
 

Hi,
Sure Alexa is definately an understanding woman.

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 5. juni 2019 22:14
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: [all-audio] Voice Assistants

You’re a brave man to say that Brian <smile>.
I’m not at all disputing what you say but I will add that Amazon can’t be too far behind.
Actually where amazon seems to excel is with their microphone arrangements on their devices, I’ve already written about how good hands free quality was with Alexa and Skype.

On 6 Jun 2019, at 6:10 am, Brian Olesen <brian@...> wrote:

HI,
But right now Google Assistant is the king, when it comes to understanding human voices.

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 5. juni 2019 21:45
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: Re: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

Apple are going to have to get their act together as Voice Assistans are incredibly powerful these days.
With Alexa you can create routines and I imagine the same can be done with Google.
Samsung’s Bixby is even more powerful than that allowing a full scripting nearly.


On 6 Jun 2019, at 3:46 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.



Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73









Such a frustrating experience trying to get myself a Talking Smart TV here in Mexico!

Gerardo Corripio
 

It’s such a frustrating experience here in Mexico,to get myself an accessible Smart TV! The store folks just don’t understand what I’m looking for! They want to sell me TVs with Google Assistants, or they say that I’d need to buy another control that’d allow me to use the voice feature? I was wondering if any of you guys with accessible Smart TVs have uploaded a Youtube video explaining and demoing the TV, form how to set it up, and what it should do to make it accessible? I’m on the ookout for an LG model if this helps some. If I had some sort of a Youtube video, I could show the store people, to first make it talk in the store, just to be sure that I’ll get no surprises upon my arriving home with the new TV! Here in Mexico there’s no thing as refunds; if you buy something, you’re out of luck! The way I’m explaning to the store people is by showing them my iPHone in that while I swipe my finger, the icons are read; on the TV as you move with the remote, a voice tells you what icons you’re passing, allowing you to interact. Thanks for any more tips you guys might have, or as mentioned before, if any of yu guys have recorded a podcast, or Youtube video showing your LG accesible Smart TV I could use in this endeavor? I’m hoping I’ll be able to find one here in Mexico that talks! If not...

Gera
Enviado desde mi iPhone SE de Telcel

Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Hamit Campos
 

Yeah how about getting your music you buy on to a PC? Or a Mac for that matter? Like putting it into your own music folder to play with something else other than ITunes? I use WMP.

On 6/5/2019 4:44 PM, Robin Frost wrote:
Hi,
I'm curious where they'll put the management of syncing ringtones especially on the Windows side not that that's worked for me for an age now anyway mind you but still I am curious.
I've an open ticket with Apple as we speak regarding the inability to successfully sync ringtones. First they tried to say it was because my ringtones weren't purchased from their store. When I proved to them that the affliction impacted purchased ringtones too I got an escalated ticket for whatever it is or isn't worth. It will be interesting going forward.
Robin


-----Original Message----- From: Dane Trethowan
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 5:15 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.





Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>
 

The only thing I got out of the event as far as Windows is concerned is that the Operating System hasn’t been forgotten.
My guess would be that Ring Tones will b part of Apple Music.

On 6 Jun 2019, at 6:44 am, Robin Frost <robini71@...> wrote:

Hi,
I'm curious where they'll put the management of syncing ringtones especially on the Windows side not that that's worked for me for an age now anyway mind you but still I am curious.
I've an open ticket with Apple as we speak regarding the inability to successfully sync ringtones. First they tried to say it was because my ringtones weren't purchased from their store. When I proved to them that the affliction impacted purchased ringtones too I got an escalated ticket for whatever it is or isn't worth. It will be interesting going forward.
Robin


-----Original Message----- From: Dane Trethowan
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 5:15 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.






Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Robin Frost
 

Hi,
I'm curious where they'll put the management of syncing ringtones especially on the Windows side not that that's worked for me for an age now anyway mind you but still I am curious.
I've an open ticket with Apple as we speak regarding the inability to successfully sync ringtones. First they tried to say it was because my ringtones weren't purchased from their store. When I proved to them that the affliction impacted purchased ringtones too I got an escalated ticket for whatever it is or isn't worth. It will be interesting going forward.
Robin

-----Original Message-----
From: Dane Trethowan
Sent: Tuesday, June 4, 2019 5:15 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.

Voice Assistants

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>
 

You’re a brave man to say that Brian <smile>.
I’m not at all disputing what you say but I will add that Amazon can’t be too far behind.
Actually where amazon seems to excel is with their microphone arrangements on their devices, I’ve already written about how good hands free quality was with Alexa and Skype.

On 6 Jun 2019, at 6:10 am, Brian Olesen <brian@...> wrote:

HI,
But right now Google Assistant is the king, when it comes to understanding human voices.

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 5. juni 2019 21:45
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: Re: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

Apple are going to have to get their act together as Voice Assistans are incredibly powerful these days.
With Alexa you can create routines and I imagine the same can be done with Google.
Samsung’s Bixby is even more powerful than that allowing a full scripting nearly.


On 6 Jun 2019, at 3:46 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.



Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73









Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Brian Olesen
 

HI,
But right now Google Assistant is the king, when it comes to understanding human voices.

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 5. juni 2019 21:45
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: Re: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

Apple are going to have to get their act together as Voice Assistans are incredibly powerful these days.
With Alexa you can create routines and I imagine the same can be done with Google.
Samsung’s Bixby is even more powerful than that allowing a full scripting nearly.

On 6 Jun 2019, at 3:46 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.



Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73



Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>
 

Apple are going to have to get their act together as Voice Assistans are incredibly powerful these days.
With Alexa you can create routines and I imagine the same can be done with Google.
Samsung’s Bixby is even more powerful than that allowing a full scripting nearly.

On 6 Jun 2019, at 3:46 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.



Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73



Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Georgina Joyce
 

Hello,

I think the improvement of Siri’s voice is my favourite. Pity she is a dum ass.

Gena

On 4 Jun 2019, at 22:15, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.



Gena

Call: M0EBP
DMR ID: 2346259
Loc: IO83PS
73

Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>
 

Firstly the Mac mini doesn’t have stereo microphones but it does have built-in in and out connections for analogue and digital.
Further to this the Mac mini Late 2012 has 4 USB 3.0 ports plus a Thunderbolt port thus an easy way to add yet more high speed USB ports if required along with further sound devices.
So some examples. I have a Belkin Thunderbolt Dock which not only has yet more USB ports but yet another set of audio in/out connections.
You can of course use your USB Sound device of your choice by just plugging it into the one of the USB ports and no extra drivers are needed for those high sampling and bit rates your device may support.
So with that out of the way lets look at some audio software you may consider using and the first product that comes to mind is Audio Hijack.
Audio Hijack does exactly what the name suggests, the App Hijacks any audio source from your computer whether it be App, physical hardware device or even a virtual machine running Windows, its your choice.
So once you’ve decided to capture the audio you then can decide exactly what you want to do with it, record it to whatever audio format you like, send the audio to another device whether physical, software or AirPlay or even over the Internet, its all up to you and everything works right out of the box so you don’t need a pilots license, truly amazing stuff.
So that’s just the start.

On 5 Jun 2019, at 9:46 pm, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

Dude the geek in me would love a Mac Pro. Or even the Core I9 I Mac even. As the IMac pro goes though I would love the 18 Core 1. I'm such a geek. Dain how is the audio of a Mac Mini? you keep saying that if 1 is into audio to get 1. How is the stereo imaging how crisp is it? How's the bass?

On 6/5/2019 6:54 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
You know of course that you can purchase an iMac Pro? - That’s an iMac machine with nearly the same specs as the Mac Pro itself -.
The new model Mac mini also if you like is a Mac Pro in Mini form, in the same case as the late 2012 Mac mini but one hell of a lot more powerful.
I did think about getting a new Mac mini model but the cost of upgrading accessories made the idea impractical.
Unlike the 2012 Mac mini models the newer Mac mini does not have USB ports rather it has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.
Nothing wrong with that but I’d have to change all my USB, Thunderbolt 2 and Firewire hardware to match the new standard.
The great thing if you want to think of it like this is that the Mac mini 2012 machines can now be purchased at bargain basement prices.
Not long ago a top of the line late 2012 Mac mini unit would be worth around $2000 or even more.
Now you can buy these things for $500 or so and - as I have done many times - I would recommend anyone who is seriously into audio to get hold of one of these machines.


On 5 Jun 2019, at 8:40 pm, Brian Olesen <brian@...> wrote:

HI,
Yeah this new monstrous baby sounds amazing. Grin

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 5. juni 2019 12:13
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: Re: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

I can’t have one of those Mac Pro machines either but boy! Do I wish I could <smile>.
In the meantime I’m perfectly happy with my 4 Mac mini machines, 2 iMac machines and my MacBook Pro.
1 Mac mini machine runs the Plex Media Server here, another manages the Twonky Media server and is used to record from the Cable box, another manages Radio Archives and the forth is a server machine.
All these Mac mini machines are late 2012 models and still going strong.


On 5 Jun 2019, at 5:38 pm, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

Hi!
Well, one can have different thoughts.
I guess this will just be more Ios like on the mac as they split things.
I was sadly missing the event but i will listen to it later.
THe new Mac Pro which of course is out of my money range was interesting even though its nothing i will spend money on.
/A

4 juni 2019 kl. 23:15 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.










Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Hamit Campos
 

Dude the geek in me would love a Mac Pro. Or even the Core I9 I Mac even. As the IMac pro goes though I would love the 18 Core 1. I'm such a geek. Dain how is the audio of a Mac Mini? you keep saying that if 1 is into audio to get 1. How is the stereo imaging how crisp is it? How's the bass?

On 6/5/2019 6:54 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
You know of course that you can purchase an iMac Pro? - That’s an iMac machine with nearly the same specs as the Mac Pro itself -.
The new model Mac mini also if you like is a Mac Pro in Mini form, in the same case as the late 2012 Mac mini but one hell of a lot more powerful.
I did think about getting a new Mac mini model but the cost of upgrading accessories made the idea impractical.
Unlike the 2012 Mac mini models the newer Mac mini does not have USB ports rather it has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.
Nothing wrong with that but I’d have to change all my USB, Thunderbolt 2 and Firewire hardware to match the new standard.
The great thing if you want to think of it like this is that the Mac mini 2012 machines can now be purchased at bargain basement prices.
Not long ago a top of the line late 2012 Mac mini unit would be worth around $2000 or even more.
Now you can buy these things for $500 or so and - as I have done many times - I would recommend anyone who is seriously into audio to get hold of one of these machines.


On 5 Jun 2019, at 8:40 pm, Brian Olesen <brian@...> wrote:

HI,
Yeah this new monstrous baby sounds amazing. Grin

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 5. juni 2019 12:13
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: Re: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

I can’t have one of those Mac Pro machines either but boy! Do I wish I could <smile>.
In the meantime I’m perfectly happy with my 4 Mac mini machines, 2 iMac machines and my MacBook Pro.
1 Mac mini machine runs the Plex Media Server here, another manages the Twonky Media server and is used to record from the Cable box, another manages Radio Archives and the forth is a server machine.
All these Mac mini machines are late 2012 models and still going strong.


On 5 Jun 2019, at 5:38 pm, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

Hi!
Well, one can have different thoughts.
I guess this will just be more Ios like on the mac as they split things.
I was sadly missing the event but i will listen to it later.
THe new Mac Pro which of course is out of my money range was interesting even though its nothing i will spend money on.
/A

4 juni 2019 kl. 23:15 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.









Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>
 

You know of course that you can purchase an iMac Pro? - That’s an iMac machine with nearly the same specs as the Mac Pro itself -.
The new model Mac mini also if you like is a Mac Pro in Mini form, in the same case as the late 2012 Mac mini but one hell of a lot more powerful.
I did think about getting a new Mac mini model but the cost of upgrading accessories made the idea impractical.
Unlike the 2012 Mac mini models the newer Mac mini does not have USB ports rather it has USB-C/Thunderbolt ports.
Nothing wrong with that but I’d have to change all my USB, Thunderbolt 2 and Firewire hardware to match the new standard.
The great thing if you want to think of it like this is that the Mac mini 2012 machines can now be purchased at bargain basement prices.
Not long ago a top of the line late 2012 Mac mini unit would be worth around $2000 or even more.
Now you can buy these things for $500 or so and - as I have done many times - I would recommend anyone who is seriously into audio to get hold of one of these machines.

On 5 Jun 2019, at 8:40 pm, Brian Olesen <brian@...> wrote:

HI,
Yeah this new monstrous baby sounds amazing. Grin

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 5. juni 2019 12:13
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: Re: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

I can’t have one of those Mac Pro machines either but boy! Do I wish I could <smile>.
In the meantime I’m perfectly happy with my 4 Mac mini machines, 2 iMac machines and my MacBook Pro.
1 Mac mini machine runs the Plex Media Server here, another manages the Twonky Media server and is used to record from the Cable box, another manages Radio Archives and the forth is a server machine.
All these Mac mini machines are late 2012 models and still going strong.


On 5 Jun 2019, at 5:38 pm, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

Hi!
Well, one can have different thoughts.
I guess this will just be more Ios like on the mac as they split things.
I was sadly missing the event but i will listen to it later.
THe new Mac Pro which of course is out of my money range was interesting even though its nothing i will spend money on.
/A

4 juni 2019 kl. 23:15 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.











Re: Yesterday's Apple event

Brian Olesen
 

HI,
Yeah this new monstrous baby sounds amazing. Grin

Brian

-----Oprindelig meddelelse-----
Fra: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> På vegne af Dane Trethowan
Sendt: 5. juni 2019 12:13
Til: all-audio@groups.io
Emne: Re: [all-audio] Yesterday's Apple event

I can’t have one of those Mac Pro machines either but boy! Do I wish I could <smile>.
In the meantime I’m perfectly happy with my 4 Mac mini machines, 2 iMac machines and my MacBook Pro.
1 Mac mini machine runs the Plex Media Server here, another manages the Twonky Media server and is used to record from the Cable box, another manages Radio Archives and the forth is a server machine.
All these Mac mini machines are late 2012 models and still going strong.

On 5 Jun 2019, at 5:38 pm, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

Hi!
Well, one can have different thoughts.
I guess this will just be more Ios like on the mac as they split things.
I was sadly missing the event but i will listen to it later.
THe new Mac Pro which of course is out of my money range was interesting even though its nothing i will spend money on.
/A

4 juni 2019 kl. 23:15 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

I’m sure many of you on list were following along and what an event it was, certainly far better than the other session Apple held a few months back.
The highlight for me was the announcement that iTunes is to be split into 3 different Apps and not before time too I hear you all say.
Apple Music App will handle all your music. Apple Podcasts your podcasts etc and Apple TV for the rest, sound familiar? It certainly does so if you’re using an IOS device.