Date   
Re: Olympus LS-P4 Recorder

Hamit Campos
 

Ya probabaly could if you find an app.

On 4/12/2018 9:37 AM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
Hi!
Its the same for me.
I get really lost on recorders and such without speech.
Talking of ipods i was thinking if i could use my Nokia 8 Android phone to do good recordings.
It has stereo input so one can reccord in stereo and if you use the Video camera you can do 360° recordings.
I think its the best Android phone i’ve had since i started with Android.
/A

11 apr. 2018 kl. 05:00 skrev Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...>:

Oh cool. I don't remember if Neal meantioned intro scan. He may have but just in passing. That sounds like a great feature though. Yeah like I said with my DM520 I kinda got buy. But it still beeped. But let me tell ya I got pretty lost when I lost the speach on my IPod Nanno. I did eventually get speach back though. But it was rough.


On 4/10/2018 10:29 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
That's a difficult question to answer given that I've been using Voice Guidance myself however I reckon that I'd b able to do most hthings if the Voice Guidance were disabled.

The Stop button takes you to the home screen for example.

From there pressing the record button once puts you into 'Record Standby" mode and a further press starts the recording.

Pressing stop at this point stops the recording or pressing enter stops the recording and plays the recording back.

Remember that Voice Guideance with Olympus recorders is certainly not perfect thus you have to get used to a few functions working without it.

Turningt the "Intro Scan" function on may well be a very good idea since the recorder doesn't announce the names of files as you scroll to know you have the right one you can then hear a couple of seconds at the beginning of each file as you scroll.



On 11/04/2018 11:41 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Ah but then usability is another thing. How well can 1 deal with the device not speaking? I find that I get lost pretty quick. Mind you I have used a DM 520 without speach but it did make the on and off music I think and it did beap. For recording going in and out of folders I did okayish since ya know it's Olympus. It's a DM. Not much science there. But something with no sound at all? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wander how I'd do. Granted I'm probabaly just spoiled by blind devices.


On 4/10/2018 6:41 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Yes granted usability comes into the equation but not necessarily accessibility.
For example a Sony PCM-d50 doesn’t have anything much to aid accessibility but the recorder is very usable.


On 11 Apr 2018, at 8:26 am, Norma A. Boge <naboge@...> wrote:

I believe, as adults, we should decide what to purchase by what we prefer in terms of features, price, whatever. As a blind person, my first priority is whether or not I can use the damn thing. Frankly, I'd like to continue to see specs and real-world use, but how about how accessible the device is? I'm pretty sure this is a audio list for blind guys, right??







Re: Olympus LS-P4 Recorder

Dane Trethowan
 

No reason why you couldn't try the Easy Voice Recorder App I made mention of a couple of days ago.

On 12/04/2018 11:37 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
Hi!
Its the same for me.
I get really lost on recorders and such without speech.
Talking of ipods i was thinking if i could use my Nokia 8 Android phone to do good recordings.
It has stereo input so one can reccord in stereo and if you use the Video camera you can do 360° recordings.
I think its the best Android phone i’ve had since i started with Android.
/A

11 apr. 2018 kl. 05:00 skrev Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...>:

Oh cool. I don't remember if Neal meantioned intro scan. He may have but just in passing. That sounds like a great feature though. Yeah like I said with my DM520 I kinda got buy. But it still beeped. But let me tell ya I got pretty lost when I lost the speach on my IPod Nanno. I did eventually get speach back though. But it was rough.


On 4/10/2018 10:29 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
That's a difficult question to answer given that I've been using Voice Guidance myself however I reckon that I'd b able to do most hthings if the Voice Guidance were disabled.

The Stop button takes you to the home screen for example.

From there pressing the record button once puts you into 'Record Standby" mode and a further press starts the recording.

Pressing stop at this point stops the recording or pressing enter stops the recording and plays the recording back.

Remember that Voice Guideance with Olympus recorders is certainly not perfect thus you have to get used to a few functions working without it.

Turningt the "Intro Scan" function on may well be a very good idea since the recorder doesn't announce the names of files as you scroll to know you have the right one you can then hear a couple of seconds at the beginning of each file as you scroll.



On 11/04/2018 11:41 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Ah but then usability is another thing. How well can 1 deal with the device not speaking? I find that I get lost pretty quick. Mind you I have used a DM 520 without speach but it did make the on and off music I think and it did beap. For recording going in and out of folders I did okayish since ya know it's Olympus. It's a DM. Not much science there. But something with no sound at all? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wander how I'd do. Granted I'm probabaly just spoiled by blind devices.


On 4/10/2018 6:41 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Yes granted usability comes into the equation but not necessarily accessibility.
For example a Sony PCM-d50 doesn’t have anything much to aid accessibility but the recorder is very usable.


On 11 Apr 2018, at 8:26 am, Norma A. Boge <naboge@...> wrote:

I believe, as adults, we should decide what to purchase by what we prefer in terms of features, price, whatever. As a blind person, my first priority is whether or not I can use the damn thing. Frankly, I'd like to continue to see specs and real-world use, but how about how accessible the device is? I'm pretty sure this is a audio list for blind guys, right??







--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********

Nokia Android Phone

Dane Trethowan
 

Hi!

I think you mentioned you have an Android Nokia phone so how are you finding it from an audio perspective and ave you having any issues with Talkback etc?

I've known about the Nokia Android phones but have never played with one.

I don't know whether this is true but I'm told that some of the Apps on the Nokia Android phones aren't actually Android at all thus they can't be used.

Again this is only what I've been told and I've had no hands-on experience. Perhaps the above statement only refers to 1 or 2 Nokia Android models as I know more than 1 model is available.

I'm glad you're enjoying Easy Vocie Recorder Pro and I wish I'd known about the App earlier, was by complete accident that I stumbled across the App.

On 12/04/2018 11:40 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
Hi!
Yeah i have had this app for a year now and i do like it a lot.
Its so great that you can have it in the notification shade and do pausing and other stuff from there too.
/A

11 apr. 2018 kl. 10:33 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

Bought this App for $4.99 and it looks quite accessible but more importantly I believe I can get quite good results from it as these 2 files I hope will demonstrate.
The first one is how Easy Voice Recorder sounded by default when recording on my Sony xPeria X-Performance phone.
With I did some tweaking with the settings of Voice Recorder Pro in this next recording.
Firstly I set the recording quality to high and used the sample rate of 44.1KH~ 16 bit.
I turned on stereo mode though I’m not sure whether the Sony xPeria actually supports stereo mode but no harm done I guess.
I then turned noise suppression and echo cancelation off.
Having done that I changed the recording profile to Raw Music sound, there are several you can choose from including Voice Notes, Meetings and lectures.
I set things up so the recording would be uploaded to Dropbox once the stop button was activated and the recording would be uploaded in Wave uncompressed format, you can change settings for this including configurations that allow for the uploading of wave files to your cloud service of choice whilst files shared via eMail etc are compressed to MP3, AAC and so on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccnf7kymdonpxms/My%20recording%20%232.wav?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccnf7kymdonpxms/My%20recording%20#2.wav?dl=0>



--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********

Android recording apps/was RE: [all-audio] Olympus LS-P4 Recorder

Norma A. Boge <naboge@...>
 

Check out Stereomatch's apps on the Play Store, his Amazing MP3 Recorder gets pretty high marks from folks on the Eyes Free list. (BTW, it records in more than Mp3.) Plus Stereomatch is on the Eyes Free list and very responsive to questions, resolving issues and feature requests. HTH Norma

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=stereomatch

Re: Nokia Android Phone

Anders Holmberg
 

Hi!
Wel, its a great phone and very expensive.
5000 Swedish Krona which is quite much to me but not as much as the apple things that’s around.
From an audio perspective its a really good device.
I am using it with my B&W p7 headphones and the sound is very clear and crisp to me.
Of corse i could buy me a headphone amplifier/dac for the phone but now my budget is very low so i have to wait until i get more money.
There are two hardware touch buttons at the left and right corners of the screen that talkback doesn’t read but i can deal with that so its not a big issue.
No inaccessibility from my perspective.
THe battery can last for quite long.
At least 4 days on my phone.
Remember i do listen to a lot of radio and music so that is quite much for a phone.
I am a bit disapointed though that apple music on android doesn’t have a built-in cromecast button so i have to cromecast the whole units audio to make things work.
This is one reason i may change to spotify in the future.
/A

12 apr. 2018 kl. 22:23 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

Hi!

I think you mentioned you have an Android Nokia phone so how are you finding it from an audio perspective and ave you having any issues with Talkback etc?

I've known about the Nokia Android phones but have never played with one.

I don't know whether this is true but I'm told that some of the Apps on the Nokia Android phones aren't actually Android at all thus they can't be used.

Again this is only what I've been told and I've had no hands-on experience. Perhaps the above statement only refers to 1 or 2 Nokia Android models as I know more than 1 model is available.

I'm glad you're enjoying Easy Vocie Recorder Pro and I wish I'd known about the App earlier, was by complete accident that I stumbled across the App.



On 12/04/2018 11:40 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
Hi!
Yeah i have had this app for a year now and i do like it a lot.
Its so great that you can have it in the notification shade and do pausing and other stuff from there too.
/A

11 apr. 2018 kl. 10:33 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

Bought this App for $4.99 and it looks quite accessible but more importantly I believe I can get quite good results from it as these 2 files I hope will demonstrate.
The first one is how Easy Voice Recorder sounded by default when recording on my Sony xPeria X-Performance phone.
With I did some tweaking with the settings of Voice Recorder Pro in this next recording.
Firstly I set the recording quality to high and used the sample rate of 44.1KH~ 16 bit.
I turned on stereo mode though I’m not sure whether the Sony xPeria actually supports stereo mode but no harm done I guess.
I then turned noise suppression and echo cancelation off.
Having done that I changed the recording profile to Raw Music sound, there are several you can choose from including Voice Notes, Meetings and lectures.
I set things up so the recording would be uploaded to Dropbox once the stop button was activated and the recording would be uploaded in Wave uncompressed format, you can change settings for this including configurations that allow for the uploading of wave files to your cloud service of choice whilst files shared via eMail etc are compressed to MP3, AAC and so on.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccnf7kymdonpxms/My%20recording%20%232.wav?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/ccnf7kymdonpxms/My%20recording%20#2.wav?dl=0>



--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********



My first real annoyance with the Olympus LS-P4 recorder

Dane Trethowan
 

And that is the fact that the recorder won’t play M4A music files though it will happily play MP3 and FLAC.
I find this extremely odd as the M4A format or AAC has been in use for a decade and all modern music players have no trouble with the format.
I bring this to your attention just in case playing music on the Olympus LS-P4 is going to be a concern to anyone should they decide to buy this recorder and - pairing the recorder to a Bluetooth or speaker - makes it quite a nice little music player apart from this obvious file playback flaw.
This oversight on the part of Olympus could probably be fixed in a firmware update and is only likely to affect those using iTunes.

Re: My first real annoyance with the Olympus LS-P4 recorder

Hamit Campos
 

Nor will the LS-14 for that matter. Which is odd again as these things are supposedly musician recorders. I actually would be mor surprised to tell ya the trooth if the DM720 won't play M4A. After all Olympus markets the DMs a bit more as players. Where the LS's are more strictly recorders. Oh by the way. Will the LS-P4 play 48 KHZ 16 bits files that are mono? This is the rubb with me with the 14. It only will play CD audio in Mono. Which kinda makes sence, but felt odd comming from a DM520 and 420 which boath would play a mono 48 16 file.

On 4/17/2018 4:40 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
And that is the fact that the recorder won’t play M4A music files though it will happily play MP3 and FLAC.
I find this extremely odd as the M4A format or AAC has been in use for a decade and all modern music players have no trouble with the format.
I bring this to your attention just in case playing music on the Olympus LS-P4 is going to be a concern to anyone should they decide to buy this recorder and - pairing the recorder to a Bluetooth or speaker - makes it quite a nice little music player apart from this obvious file playback flaw.
This oversight on the part of Olympus could probably be fixed in a firmware update and is only likely to affect those using iTunes.


Accessible Dictation with Open Source DictationBridge - AccessWorld® - April 2018

Dane Trethowan
 

A most interesting article in this months Access World and Yours Truly is happy to support and help out in this project, the benefits are crystal clear.

http://www.afb.org/afbpress/pubnew.asp?DocID=aw19040

--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********

Re: My first real annoyance with the Olympus LS-P4 recorder

Anders Holmberg
 

Hi!
Strange, but i wont play music on my device if i get one.
Just reccord.
/A

17 apr. 2018 kl. 22:40 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

And that is the fact that the recorder won’t play M4A music files though it will happily play MP3 and FLAC.
I find this extremely odd as the M4A format or AAC has been in use for a decade and all modern music players have no trouble with the format.
I bring this to your attention just in case playing music on the Olympus LS-P4 is going to be a concern to anyone should they decide to buy this recorder and - pairing the recorder to a Bluetooth or speaker - makes it quite a nice little music player apart from this obvious file playback flaw.
This oversight on the part of Olympus could probably be fixed in a firmware update and is only likely to affect those using iTunes.



Re: My first real annoyance with the Olympus LS-P4 recorder

Dane Trethowan
 

Not too much of a concern either though I have to admit the idea of playing music on the Olympus LS-P4 in particular would be most appealing given the tiny size of the recorder itself.
But in all events I prefer FLAC and the recorder happily plays that.

On 18 Apr 2018, at 8:52 pm, Anders Holmberg <anders@...> wrote:

Hi!
Strange, but i wont play music on my device if i get one.
Just reccord.
/A

17 apr. 2018 kl. 22:40 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

And that is the fact that the recorder won’t play M4A music files though it will happily play MP3 and FLAC.
I find this extremely odd as the M4A format or AAC has been in use for a decade and all modern music players have no trouble with the format.
I bring this to your attention just in case playing music on the Olympus LS-P4 is going to be a concern to anyone should they decide to buy this recorder and - pairing the recorder to a Bluetooth or speaker - makes it quite a nice little music player apart from this obvious file playback flaw.
This oversight on the part of Olympus could probably be fixed in a firmware update and is only likely to affect those using iTunes.





Re: My first real annoyance with the Olympus LS-P4 recorder

Hamit Campos
 

That's what I do with mine. But I have played music on them before and it's okay. But again as I told Dain the DM's are the music player focused recorders. But actually as the P2 and P4 have a music folder it wouldn't surprise me that they can play music pretty good. All though they should all be able to do so. I mean Olympus mentions musicians a lot in the pages for these things. Obviously the best being the LS-100. That's the 1 you create the final CD on to send to mastering and what not. lol The 14 is the 1 you just practise on and take for small little gigs and what not. Yeah Olympus uste to market the LS-14 as a side peace to the 100.

On 4/18/2018 6:52 AM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
Hi!
Strange, but i wont play music on my device if i get one.
Just reccord.
/A

17 apr. 2018 kl. 22:40 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>:

And that is the fact that the recorder won’t play M4A music files though it will happily play MP3 and FLAC.
I find this extremely odd as the M4A format or AAC has been in use for a decade and all modern music players have no trouble with the format.
I bring this to your attention just in case playing music on the Olympus LS-P4 is going to be a concern to anyone should they decide to buy this recorder and - pairing the recorder to a Bluetooth or speaker - makes it quite a nice little music player apart from this obvious file playback flaw.
This oversight on the part of Olympus could probably be fixed in a firmware update and is only likely to affect those using iTunes.



High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Dane Trethowan
 

Well this isn't quite true I suppose if you don't have a Shortwave receiver capable of receiving DRM but the poss ability is now more real than ever.

Ausie Radio - Australia's only domestic Shortwave broadcaster - is hoping to soon broadcast using DRM, they're just requiring the appropriate approvals.

This will mean FM quality sound through your DRM receiver and will not affect the standard Shortwave broadcast.

The idea of DRM is to reduce fading and all the other affects standard analogue Shortwave reception is known for but there ar downsides.

The reception of the signal has to be solid or the DRM portion won't be heard and you'll only hear the Analogue Shortwave signal instead.

Tecsun have a DRM model available and Tecsun Radios in Australia should be receiving stock of this shortly.

Other International Shortwave broadcasters are using DRM on a regular basis including Radio New Zealand's Pacific service and Radio India.

If you don't have a DRM capable radio then you can buy radio sets with connections to enable the radio to be connected to a computer running the appropriate DRM decoding software, examples of such compatible radio sets are the CC SW and Tecsun S-2000 or Grundig Satelite 750.


--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********

Re: High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Steve Jacobson
 

Dane,

Is this similar to our AM HD broadcasting in the United States? I wonder if this is the same station I used to enjoylistening to some years back. It was a regional Australian station broadcasting local programming and news, not the overseas service, and I used to hear it often in the morning here in Minnesota on the 31 meter band. It would be interesting to see if the DRM signal would come through here. It used to put in a pretty stable signal considering the distance.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dane Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:26 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Well this isn't quite true I suppose if you don't have a Shortwave receiver capable of receiving DRM but the poss ability is now more real than ever.

Ausie Radio - Australia's only domestic Shortwave broadcaster - is hoping to soon broadcast using DRM, they're just requiring the appropriate approvals.

This will mean FM quality sound through your DRM receiver and will not affect the standard Shortwave broadcast.

The idea of DRM is to reduce fading and all the other affects standard analogue Shortwave reception is known for but there ar downsides.

The reception of the signal has to be solid or the DRM portion won't be heard and you'll only hear the Analogue Shortwave signal instead.

Tecsun have a DRM model available and Tecsun Radios in Australia should be receiving stock of this shortly.

Other International Shortwave broadcasters are using DRM on a regular basis including Radio New Zealand's Pacific service and Radio India.

If you don't have a DRM capable radio then you can buy radio sets with connections to enable the radio to be connected to a computer running the appropriate DRM decoding software, examples of such compatible radio sets are the CC SW and Tecsun S-2000 or Grundig Satelite 750.
--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********

Re: High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Dane Trethowan
 

I believe that DRM has similar qualities to your AM HD system - IBOC as its known - however DRM is an open standard where as IBOC requires a license to use it.
AusieRadio is a new shortwave service formed to cover Australia - in particular the Outback - to replace the ABC Shortwave domestic service which was switched off last year.
If you want to try and receive AusieRadio then try either 4835 or 5045KHZ

On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:25 pm, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

Dane,

Is this similar to our AM HD broadcasting in the United States? I wonder if this is the same station I used to enjoylistening to some years back. It was a regional Australian station broadcasting local programming and news, not the overseas service, and I used to hear it often in the morning here in Minnesota on the 31 meter band. It would be interesting to see if the DRM signal would come through here. It used to put in a pretty stable signal considering the distance.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dane Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:26 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Well this isn't quite true I suppose if you don't have a Shortwave receiver capable of receiving DRM but the poss ability is now more real than ever.

Ausie Radio - Australia's only domestic Shortwave broadcaster - is hoping to soon broadcast using DRM, they're just requiring the appropriate approvals.

This will mean FM quality sound through your DRM receiver and will not affect the standard Shortwave broadcast.

The idea of DRM is to reduce fading and all the other affects standard analogue Shortwave reception is known for but there ar downsides.

The reception of the signal has to be solid or the DRM portion won't be heard and you'll only hear the Analogue Shortwave signal instead.

Tecsun have a DRM model available and Tecsun Radios in Australia should be receiving stock of this shortly.

Other International Shortwave broadcasters are using DRM on a regular basis including Radio New Zealand's Pacific service and Radio India.

If you don't have a DRM capable radio then you can buy radio sets with connections to enable the radio to be connected to a computer running the appropriate DRM decoding software, examples of such compatible radio sets are the CC SW and Tecsun S-2000 or Grundig Satelite 750.


--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********








Re: High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Steve Jacobson
 

Dane,

Thanks, I will give it a try. Chances will not be as good on the lower
frequencies, but should make it here when reception is good.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

-----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:40 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near
you

I believe that DRM has similar qualities to your AM HD system - IBOC as its
known - however DRM is an open standard where as IBOC requires a license to
use it.
AusieRadio is a new shortwave service formed to cover Australia - in
particular the Outback - to replace the ABC Shortwave domestic service which
was switched off last year.
If you want to try and receive AusieRadio then try either 4835 or 5045KHZ


On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:25 pm, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...>
wrote:

Dane,

Is this similar to our AM HD broadcasting in the United States? I wonder
if this is the same station I used to enjoylistening to some years back. It
was a regional Australian station broadcasting local programming and news,
not the overseas service, and I used to hear it often in the morning here in
Minnesota on the 31 meter band. It would be interesting to see if the DRM
signal would come through here. It used to put in a pretty stable signal
considering the distance.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of
Dane Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:26 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio
near you

Well this isn't quite true I suppose if you don't have a Shortwave
receiver capable of receiving DRM but the poss ability is now more real than
ever.

Ausie Radio - Australia's only domestic Shortwave broadcaster - is hoping
to soon broadcast using DRM, they're just requiring the appropriate
approvals.

This will mean FM quality sound through your DRM receiver and will not
affect the standard Shortwave broadcast.

The idea of DRM is to reduce fading and all the other affects standard
analogue Shortwave reception is known for but there ar downsides.

The reception of the signal has to be solid or the DRM portion won't be
heard and you'll only hear the Analogue Shortwave signal instead.

Tecsun have a DRM model available and Tecsun Radios in Australia should be
receiving stock of this shortly.

Other International Shortwave broadcasters are using DRM on a regular
basis including Radio New Zealand's Pacific service and Radio India.

If you don't have a DRM capable radio then you can buy radio sets with
connections to enable the radio to be connected to a computer running the
appropriate DRM decoding software, examples of such compatible radio sets
are the CC SW and Tecsun S-2000 or Grundig Satelite 750.


--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********








Re: High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Dane Trethowan
 

If you can’t receive it where you are then try one of the Australian web based SDR’S at http://www.sdr.hu <http://www.sdr.hu/> and see if you may get it through one of those.
I have no trouble getting good reception here and I’m around a thousand miles south of the transmitter I believe.

On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:43 pm, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...> wrote:

Dane,

Thanks, I will give it a try. Chances will not be as good on the lower
frequencies, but should make it here when reception is good.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

-----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:40 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near
you

I believe that DRM has similar qualities to your AM HD system - IBOC as its
known - however DRM is an open standard where as IBOC requires a license to
use it.
AusieRadio is a new shortwave service formed to cover Australia - in
particular the Outback - to replace the ABC Shortwave domestic service which
was switched off last year.
If you want to try and receive AusieRadio then try either 4835 or 5045KHZ


On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:25 pm, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...>
wrote:

Dane,

Is this similar to our AM HD broadcasting in the United States? I wonder
if this is the same station I used to enjoylistening to some years back. It
was a regional Australian station broadcasting local programming and news,
not the overseas service, and I used to hear it often in the morning here in
Minnesota on the 31 meter band. It would be interesting to see if the DRM
signal would come through here. It used to put in a pretty stable signal
considering the distance.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of
Dane Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:26 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio
near you

Well this isn't quite true I suppose if you don't have a Shortwave
receiver capable of receiving DRM but the poss ability is now more real than
ever.

Ausie Radio - Australia's only domestic Shortwave broadcaster - is hoping
to soon broadcast using DRM, they're just requiring the appropriate
approvals.

This will mean FM quality sound through your DRM receiver and will not
affect the standard Shortwave broadcast.

The idea of DRM is to reduce fading and all the other affects standard
analogue Shortwave reception is known for but there ar downsides.

The reception of the signal has to be solid or the DRM portion won't be
heard and you'll only hear the Analogue Shortwave signal instead.

Tecsun have a DRM model available and Tecsun Radios in Australia should be
receiving stock of this shortly.

Other International Shortwave broadcasters are using DRM on a regular
basis including Radio New Zealand's Pacific service and Radio India.

If you don't have a DRM capable radio then you can buy radio sets with
connections to enable the radio to be connected to a computer running the
appropriate DRM decoding software, examples of such compatible radio sets
are the CC SW and Tecsun S-2000 or Grundig Satelite 750.


--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********















Re: High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near you

Dane Trethowan
 

I have a question for you on a related topic.

Where you're living is near the border of Canada right? If so could you give me the ID of the Canadian station on 1010KHZ? I think it might be part of a CBC network.

On 19/04/2018 12:43 PM, Steve Jacobson wrote:
Dane,

Thanks, I will give it a try. Chances will not be as good on the lower
frequencies, but should make it here when reception is good.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

-----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Dane
Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 9:40 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio near
you

I believe that DRM has similar qualities to your AM HD system - IBOC as its
known - however DRM is an open standard where as IBOC requires a license to
use it.
AusieRadio is a new shortwave service formed to cover Australia - in
particular the Outback - to replace the ABC Shortwave domestic service which
was switched off last year.
If you want to try and receive AusieRadio then try either 4835 or 5045KHZ


On 19 Apr 2018, at 12:25 pm, Steve Jacobson <steve.jacobson@...>
wrote:
Dane,

Is this similar to our AM HD broadcasting in the United States? I wonder
if this is the same station I used to enjoylistening to some years back. It
was a regional Australian station broadcasting local programming and news,
not the overseas service, and I used to hear it often in the morning here in
Minnesota on the 31 meter band. It would be interesting to see if the DRM
signal would come through here. It used to put in a pretty stable signal
considering the distance.
Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of
Dane Trethowan
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 2:26 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: [all-audio] High quality audio coming to a shortwave radio
near you

Well this isn't quite true I suppose if you don't have a Shortwave
receiver capable of receiving DRM but the poss ability is now more real than
ever.
Ausie Radio - Australia's only domestic Shortwave broadcaster - is hoping
to soon broadcast using DRM, they're just requiring the appropriate
approvals.
This will mean FM quality sound through your DRM receiver and will not
affect the standard Shortwave broadcast.
The idea of DRM is to reduce fading and all the other affects standard
analogue Shortwave reception is known for but there ar downsides.
The reception of the signal has to be solid or the DRM portion won't be
heard and you'll only hear the Analogue Shortwave signal instead.
Tecsun have a DRM model available and Tecsun Radios in Australia should be
receiving stock of this shortly.
Other International Shortwave broadcasters are using DRM on a regular
basis including Radio New Zealand's Pacific service and Radio India.
If you don't have a DRM capable radio then you can buy radio sets with
connections to enable the radio to be connected to a computer running the
appropriate DRM decoding software, examples of such compatible radio sets
are the CC SW and Tecsun S-2000 or Grundig Satelite 750.

--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********













--

**********
"A dog is a good thing to have around a house and so is a fence"
**********

Issues Recording with USB Soundcard

Danny Miles
 

Hi everyone. I hope you're doing well.

I'm trying to re-connect my USB soundcard (Behringer UCA-222) to my
laptop and the Alto Professional ZMX52 audio interface. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled the soundcard drivers (successfully,
according to the notification) and I've wired my inputs and outputs to
the correct places on both the mixer and soundcard. I know I've got
the right ones because I'm getting content playing into my headphones
(plugged into the mixer) via the soundcard, both from the laptop and
from my digital radio. I've also managed to record from my laptop's
soundcard and then play it through the mixer but, for a reason that I
can't possibly fathom, I'm completely unable to record a signal
through the mixer (such as a station from my digital radio). The
software is recording, as there's dead air in my headphones and a file
duration is displayed, so I'm at a complete loss as to what might be
causing the issue. The only thing I can think of is the soundcard
drivers but they're obviously working to some extent ... I may even
have got a temporary sound recording out of them but, if so, it
stopped working as soon as it started which leads me to assume that
things aren't as they should be with the installation (after all, when
I re-installed the drivers and re-booted the laptop, everything
continued to feed out of the laptop's soundcard rather than reverting
to the USB soundcard and coming out of the mixer).

Apologies for the long, rambling and probably confusing post ... any
advice will be gratefully received.

Re: Issues Recording with USB Soundcard

Joe Paton
 

Hi Danny,

sounds tricky. There is a setting in the recording properties of each
connected device those which support this feature, Listen to
there are four pages, listen is one of these. I think it's like the old
What you hear.

Might be climbing up the wrong tree here danny, hope you can sort it out,
and would love to know the eventual solution .


Joe Paton
telephone: 01702 543624
Mobile: 0 7 9 6 7 3 8 2 9 6 4
web site: http://www.apart.org

Re: Issues Recording with USB Soundcard

Hamit Campos
 

So what kinda card is this? Is this 1 of them pro ones qith XLRs and what not? Cause some do let you and this is key mix your PC audio in but most don't even do this. Yeah sounds like you want something like What You hear. But Pro cards which are given that fancy turm audio interface don't have this. Only things like the Sound Blasters or the built in Realtech card if you're lucky.

On 4/19/2018 8:23 AM, Danny Miles wrote:
Hi everyone. I hope you're doing well.

I'm trying to re-connect my USB soundcard (Behringer UCA-222) to my
laptop and the Alto Professional ZMX52 audio interface. I've
uninstalled and reinstalled the soundcard drivers (successfully,
according to the notification) and I've wired my inputs and outputs to
the correct places on both the mixer and soundcard. I know I've got
the right ones because I'm getting content playing into my headphones
(plugged into the mixer) via the soundcard, both from the laptop and
from my digital radio. I've also managed to record from my laptop's
soundcard and then play it through the mixer but, for a reason that I
can't possibly fathom, I'm completely unable to record a signal
through the mixer (such as a station from my digital radio). The
software is recording, as there's dead air in my headphones and a file
duration is displayed, so I'm at a complete loss as to what might be
causing the issue. The only thing I can think of is the soundcard
drivers but they're obviously working to some extent ... I may even
have got a temporary sound recording out of them but, if so, it
stopped working as soon as it started which leads me to assume that
things aren't as they should be with the installation (after all, when
I re-installed the drivers and re-booted the laptop, everything
continued to feed out of the laptop's soundcard rather than reverting
to the USB soundcard and coming out of the mixer).

Apologies for the long, rambling and probably confusing post ... any
advice will be gratefully received.