Re: Intel Nuc

Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...>

Sorry, what do you need a SSD for in order to turn your Mac Mini into a VPN server? All the necessary hardware and software is already there.

-----Original Message-----
From: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Anders Holmberg
Sent: Tuesday, 22 May 2018 1:26 AM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Intel Nuc

Hi!
I certainly would build my own vpn server.
BUt this will happen with my mac mini once i have got an ssd for it.
/A

19 maj 2018 kl. 22:31 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@internode.on.net>:

Yep, you could use an Intel Nuc as a VPN and media player without any trouble at all as I can do with mine, I successfully used it yesterday.
You need a VPN Client from a particular VPN company of your choice - I use Witopia given the 24/7 support I’m able to get and accessibility of the client.
If you’re going to use an Intel Nuc for this sort of thing then you certainly don’t need anything too powerful.

On 20 May 2018, at 4:19 am, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@gmail.com> wrote:

I'm sure you could do the surver thing. But Dain would know better. As for what people do with these little things I've heard of people hooking them to the TV and using them as a Media Center of sorts. Which is pointless now thanks a lot Microsoft. Yeah yeah there's Plex and stuff but I don't know how all that compairs in epicness to Windows Media Center.

On 5/19/2018 2:15 PM, Anders Holmberg wrote:
Hi!
Ok, this might sound like i am going to bash all these machines people seem to have in there houses but i am just curious.
Myself i have a mac mini from 2011 a macbook air which is my daily computer and a very old pc from 2009 which i have linux on.
I have 2 raspberry pie’s which i don’t know what to do with them and 2 ipad minis an Iphone SE and my nokia 8 for daily use.
So i also have a lot of units.
But i am very curious on what you all who have these nuk’s and rasperry pies and other small intresting units do with them?
What can you do in regards to audio and video on these machines.
Can you have for example a raspberry pie 3 as a vpn server so that i can listen through that device to bbc 5 Live which i really want to do.
I guess you can have these things for many tasks but my inspiration is gone right now so i am really wondering i have to have these machines around.
/A

19 maj 2018 kl. 11:56 skrev Dane Trethowan <grtdane@internode.on.net>:

Thanks for this and I followed up the Gigabyte Brix.
I have two of the Intel Nuc basic versions running at the moment so obviously my third box for want of a better description was going to be something a little more powerful, the Brix and Nuc both offer an Intel I7 that would fit my specifications so now the question is which one to buy?
If anyone’s looking at the basic Nuc and Brix? Well they’re similar but the Nuc does have 2 USB 3.0 ports whereas the Brix has 4 USB 2.0 ports, something to think about.
On the audio side the Intel Nuc has 3 outputs, analogue, SPDIF and HDMI for audio.
I use one of my Intel Nuc machines with JAWS and FS Reader as a dedicated portable DAISLY player.

On 17 May 2018, at 1:34 pm, Aman Singer <aman.singer@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

There are many boxes like this and like you, Dane, I think they're excellent. They're particularly good for blind users, running with no screen is simple and they are easy to move and run off a battery if necessary. My favourite are the Gigabyte Brix models, but I have used both the Zotac Zbox and the Intel NUC. All work well.
Aman