Re: Use Of Mp3, AAC etc

Kelly Pierce

Dane,

Storage is still limited on the iPhone, where I listen to a lot of
music. so MP3 is still essential for the iPhone. In recent months, I
have installed a program called FLAC Squisher, which converts all flac
files in a folder to 320k MP3 files in another folder. It is necessary
to turn all my ripped flac albums into iPhone ready albums. I find
myself listening to an increasing amount of music on my phone, not at
home with big three-foot high stereo speakers.

Kelly

On 5/1/18, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@internode.on.net> wrote:
I’d be surprised if there was a player around now - one that’s being
developed still I mean - that wouldn’t play FLAC, I’ve been aware of the
existence of FLAC ever since I became involved in the CD Archiving project
some 11 years ago so its pretty standard by now.
99% of the streaming devices out there support it and I’m sure most car
Entertainment systems do.

On 2 May 2018, at 8:42 am, Steve Matzura <number6@noisynotes.com> wrote:

iOS and Winamp play FLAC files natively. On Mac OS, you will need VLC
Media Player.

On 5/1/2018 8:48 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
When I've ripped CDs I've used WAV or now on my IPhone I use the Apple
Lausless thing. I don't use FLAC cause I don't have much tthat will play
FLAC. Well I guess VLC does. But I mean things. The only object I have
that will is the Victor Stratus. Ya know I'm not a big fan of the victor
sound.

On 5/1/2018 7:19 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Hi!
I’m curious to know if anyone else out there has stopped using MP3 or
AAC and is just now using FLAC or even Wave files or perhaps something
similar.
I recently bought an 8TB hard drive for $300 so storage has never been
cheaper than it is now, no need to compress all those files to maximise
the amount of tracks for a certain hard drive size as used to be the
case not all that long ago.
Unlimited cloud storage has also been a factor in my case.
Sure! I have all those tracks I bought from iTunes and other services
over the years and they’re great for convenience sake but as more and
more CD’S appear on the second-hand market with replacements for those
tracks I bought on iTunes I’m ripping from those CD’S and replacing the
iTunes versions with FLAC versions.
More Music Streaming/Subscription services too are taking up the
Lossless cause so its obvious that people value there Hi-Fi setups or
are discovering just how good music can sound through a good audio setup
that doesn’t cost all that much these days.
I’ve spoken about my Yamaha Hard Drive Recorder but what I didn’t
mention was that they aren’t manufactured any longer and I do wonder why
as they’re an independent unit which allows you to store or record
Lossless audio, perhaps manufacturing costs were too high at the time?

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of
the halfwits in this world behind.