Re: Olympus LS-P4 Recorder

Hamit Campos

Amen to that. Infact I asked myself those verry questions when I heard Neal's Zoom H5 podcast. I asked them even more when I heard the F4 and F8 on youtube. I concluded that the toughest things may be folders and getting into menus you may go into here and there. But I then realized too that weather I got an H5 or an H6  I'd set it to 96 24 for recording anyways. So that's set and forget. The phantum power thing would be about the only other thing to mess with. But again have a sighted person set it then you forget it. But for when you need to turn it either on or off.

On 4/11/2018 3:00 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
So back to the original question, are you buying a recorder for the quality of recording or just a show piece for its Voice Guidance.
`Olympus recorders are like everything else in that they have pros and cons.
Some of the recorders are not good quality at all whilst others are quite good but they don’t have a very good Voice Guidance system or none at all.
So if you want a good recorder you’ve got to sometimes sacrifice some convenience and do a little homework on how the recorder works, do a little manual reading, perhaps a little Google searching but all that’s worthwhile if its good results you’re after.

On 12 Apr 2018, at 4:29 am, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

Ah but could age be a thing? I've heard you can set things on the DM720 which came out a bit along with the P2. You can't set time and date on the LS-14 which is a bit newer then the 100. We'll see what they do in future I guess. There are lots of gaps in the 100 as well. I guess we'll see if they fix all the multi track stuff.

On 4/11/2018 1:38 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Yes you’ve hit the nail on the head and the problem is a little deeper than that.
The Voice Guidance varies from model to model and time/date setting is a perfect example as you can’t set the time and date yourself on the LS-100.

On 12 Apr 2018, at 3:08 am, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

Actually it has more. Now you can set the time and date your self. He's just saying that there are things you can do with the machine that Olympus didn't have the nice British lady speak. Don't forget there's no screan reader on these things. It's just well it use to be just a bunch of WMA files tied to commands. Now they've baked them into the firmware.

On 4/11/2018 1:05 PM, Robin Frost wrote:
Hi,
So are you saying it has less voice guidance than prior models then or added functions that they didn't have that don't verbalize?
Robin

-----Original Message----- From: Dane Trethowan
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 11:04 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Olympus LS-P4 Recorder

I'm not saying every function could be useable without Voice Guidance on
the Olympus but I reckon 99% certainly could be with a little foreand
practise. Again many functions of the LS-p4 don' t have any Voice
Guidance feedback at all.

On 11/04/2018 1:00 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Oh cool. I don't remember if Neal meantioned intro scan. He may have but just in passing. That sounds like a great feature though. Yeah like I said with my DM520 I kinda got buy. But it still beeped. But let me tell ya I got pretty lost when I lost the speach on my IPod Nanno. I did eventually get speach back though. But it was rough.

On 4/10/2018 10:29 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
That's a difficult question to answer given that I've been using Voice Guidance myself however I reckon that I'd b able to do most hthings if the Voice Guidance were disabled.

The Stop button takes you to the home screen for example.

From there pressing the record button once puts you into 'Record Standby" mode and a further press starts the recording.

Pressing stop at this point stops the recording or pressing enter stops the recording and plays the recording back.

Remember that Voice Guideance with Olympus recorders is certainly not perfect thus you have to get used to a few functions working without it.

Turningt the "Intro Scan" function on may well be a very good idea since the recorder doesn't announce the names of files as you scroll to know you have the right one you can then hear a couple of seconds at the beginning of each file as you scroll.

On 11/04/2018 11:41 AM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Ah but then usability is another thing. How well can 1 deal with the device not speaking? I find that I get lost pretty quick. Mind you I have used a DM 520 without speach but it did make the on and off music I think and it did beap. For recording going in and out of folders I did okayish since ya know it's Olympus. It's a DM. Not much science there. But something with no sound at all? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm I wander how I'd do. Granted I'm probabaly just spoiled by blind devices.

On 4/10/2018 6:41 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Yes granted usability comes into the equation but not necessarily accessibility.
For example a Sony PCM-d50 doesn’t have anything much to aid accessibility but the recorder is very usable.

On 11 Apr 2018, at 8:26 am, Norma A. Boge <naboge@...> wrote:

I believe, as adults, we should decide what to purchase by what we prefer in terms of features, price, whatever. As a blind person, my first priority is whether or not I can use the damn thing. Frankly, I'd like to continue to see specs and real-world use, but how about how accessible the device is? I'm pretty sure this is a audio list for blind guys, right??

Those of a positive and enquiring frame of mind will leave the rest of the halfwits in this world behind.