Can speakers wear out

Morey Worthington

Hi all.

Using a desktop computer (w10) and small Realtech desktop speakers which are probably 12 or so years old.

The speakers, they are probably  one and half or two inch speakers, and have never been turned up real loud. Can the speakers wear out , because it sounds , sometines, very mumbled , as an example, like someone is talking into microphone very close to their mouth. Hope this makes sense.

Or might this be a sound card issue?

I have tried upgrading the card drivers with no help. Or do I need new speakers?

If so, which would you recommend?

I do not game or use a headset (often)so do not need some real big  things...lol.

I am and old fart so they would not need to be woofers s just nice sounding.

Thanks

Morey Worthington