Re: Major problems when attempting to record a stream

Colin Howard

Greetings,

I know nothing about audio cable, I am discussing a function in total
Recorder. This can be used to time shift a recording or immediate capture.
I believe GoldWave has a similar feature but never tried using it.

Not quite true, I did, ages ago but could not resolve exactly what format of
url it required.

On Thu, 4 Jun 2020 09:53:23 -0700, "Donald Roberts"
<donald_roberts_99@hotmail.com> wrote:

-     Sincere thanks for your comprehensive response.  Sorry for my
-delayed response.  Yes indeed, Collin, I did receive that message and
-have saved it for future reference.
-
-
-The majority of streams which I record are not musical; therefore, I
-wasn't concerned about quality, and the stereo mix option suited my
-needs.  You mentioned background recording.  Are we talking about
-something like audio cable?
-
-
-Don Roberts
-
-
-On 6/4/2020 7:42 AM, Colin Howard wrote:
-> Greetings,
->
-> here is the message I sent to the group yesterday, to which, Donald, you
-> neither replied nor acknowledge on list or privately to me.
->
-> To: all-audio@groups.io
-> Subject: Re: [all-audio] Major problems when attempting to record a
stream
-> From: "Colin Howard" <Colin@pobox.com>
-> Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2020 08:33:46 +0100
->
-> Greetings,
->
-> I am surprised in TR you are using the stereo mix, I do not for live
-> streams, I capture the sound off the stream by using background
recording.
->
-> Then, again, what live streams are you taking?
->
-> I can supply you with direct links for all the BBC streams plus a few
others
-> such as The Ride Radio Etc.
->
-> Do you know how to use TR's background recording function?
->
-> I use it extensively and can take about five streams on the same machine
-> together and none interfere with each other, maybe I could have more,
think
-> this is rather dependent on my broadband capabilities.
->
-> I can have them all set to background mode, meaning I don't hear the
-> streams, I can go into any and play as it records, stopping play leaves
play
-> at the stop point and resuming picks up. You can wind back or forward
but
-> when you meet the point of recording, play goes back to the start.
->
-> If you want more info, please come back privately to me at:
->
-> colin@pobox.com
->
-> I've been using TR now for about ten or maybe even more years, my current
-> version is V8.3Pro, I do have V8.6Pro but being happy with the older one,
-> not installed it yet. I use TR on my old WXP laptop and my W7 desktop.
->
-> On Mon, 1 Jun 2020 20:01:51 -0700, "Donald Roberts"
-> <donald_roberts_99@hotmail.com> wrote:
->
-> -I have two PCs, each of which is running Windows 10 version 1909.  The
-> -HP has the problem, the Dell does not.  I usually use Window-eyes
-> -9.5.4,  but use Jaws 18 when W E encounters an issue, though I am
-> -confident this is not relevant to my current issue.
-> -
-> -
-> -
-> -There are times when I wish to record a stream from the internet. So I
-> -fire up Total Recorder and set the source selection to stereo mix,
-> -having first gone into the sound card settings to make sure that stereo
-> -mix is selected.  But when I attempt to record, the sound is recorded
-> -but plays back at an extremely accelerated rate of speed.  Yes, I know
-> -that Total Recorder has a speed adjustment.  So I make sure that it is
-> -in the normal position, and to prove this, I play back a recording which
-> -was not made from streaming.  And this test recording plays at a normal
-> -speed.
-> -
-> -
-> -
-> -So in order to investigate further, I change to other recorders
-> -including Studio Recorder and Gold Wave, all of which exhibit the
-> -problem when I attempt to record a stream. There was a recent thread
-> -regarding something called Wave Max.  Unfortunately, I paid no attention
-> -to this thread but in retrospect wonder if Wave Max might be an issue.
-> -
-> -
-> -
-> -I am hoping that someone on list has encountered this issue and has
-> -found a solution.  If so, what is the solution?
-> -
-> -
-> -
-> -Thanks.