Re: Trying To Convert File To MP3

Tom Kaufman

Hi Georgina: If I convert to Lossless, then I then convert to MP3? The only way I can cut this particular file that I know of is with MP3 direct cut ()MP3 Direct Cut only works with MP3 files) here's what I'm dealing with: it's a zoom meeting that my friend wants the first part (things that don't need to be there) so she's wanting the access stuff cut out! Apparently, if you record with Zoom, Zoom creates either M4a or MP4 files. I apparently mistakenly thought that I could just convert the file to MP3, using Switch; then run it through MP3 Direct Cut and trim off the part of the recording that is not needed! The only other option that I may have is to just record the part of the meeting she would want with Total Recorder; something that would take a longer time, whereas if I can just chop off the part of the recording that is not needed, seems like that'd be much simpler! But if I am to convert to Lossless, then this won't work with MP3 Direct Cut! Now since I do have Total Recorder (standard version) I suppose there's a possibility I could do that! But would need some instructions in how to do this as I normally don't use Total Recorder in that way! But I do appreciate your efforts to try and help as I'd love to be able to take care of this for her!

From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Georgina Joyce
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 5:05 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Trying To Convert File To MP3

Hello Tom,

Convert to a lossless format then you will be able to edit. If you insist upon using this mp3 cutting program you will be degrading the quality. It may not be visible to you. But you cannot edit a mp3 file without unpacking it. The program may just do it in memory but it does it.

Obviously, there is something about the mp4 file that is preventing someone from braking copyright or something. Get a lossless format copy of the file.

Regards,
On 3 Jun 2020, at 21:49, Tom Kaufman <tomcat53@...> wrote:

Okay...I tried converting to WAV; same result: file won't play! One of the files in this group is "audio_only; this file in its original form is an M4A file. I need to make an MP3 file so I can then run it through MP3 Direct cut and take the unwanted stuff out! Can this not be done? I know that MP3 files definitely can be cut as I've done it often enough! So what is it I'm doing wrong here?
Thanks,