Convert to a lossless format then you will be able to edit. If you insist upon using this mp3 cutting program you will be degrading the quality. It may not be visible to you. But you cannot edit a mp3 file without unpacking it. The program may just do it in memory but it does it.

Obviously, there is something about the mp4 file that is preventing someone from braking copyright or something. Get a lossless format copy of the file.

Regards,
On 3 Jun 2020, at 21:49, Tom Kaufman <tomcat53@comcast.net> wrote:

Okay...I tried converting to WAV; same result: file won't play! One of the files in this group is "audio_only; this file in its original form is an M4A file. I need to make an MP3 file so I can then run it through MP3 Direct cut and take the unwanted stuff out! Can this not be done? I know that MP3 files definitely can be cut as I've done it often enough! So what is it I'm doing wrong here?
Thanks,

From: all-audio@groups.io [mailto:all-audio@groups.io] On Behalf Of Georgina Joyce
Sent: Wednesday, June 03, 2020 4:28 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Trying To Convert File To MP3

Hello,

You are working with 2 lossy formats. You should convert to wav or another lossless format make your cuts etc then convert to mp3. Because you might not know it but this is what switch would have been doing in the background. I am guessing that something wasn’t carried across to the mp3 file. This will cut down on the number of downward conversions. Which is important because each conversion further detail is lost, hence their name lossy formats.

HTH

Gena
On 3 Jun 2020, at 21:14, Tom Kaufman <tomcat53@comcast.net> wrote:

Hello list: Am attempting to convert an MP4 file to MP3; here's what is
happening: I am using the program Switch to convert this MP4 file to an MP3
file, so I then can running it through MP3 Direct Cut to trim some parts
off! However, while I have managed to convert to MP3, then I find I have no
file.at least, the file isn't playing in Winamp; nor will it play in MP3
Direct Cut! What is it I am missing? An doing this for a friend who needs
this, so am hoping I can get a solution to this one!

Thanks,