Re: olympus recorders

Hamit Campos

Whom is this distributor? I wander if they would know why Olympus got rid of the 100. It was so epic! If only it had the smart mode of the ls-14. Smrt mode by the way is this mode where you go into recording stand buy. But the mics come on super low because they are listening for something loud. So you then make the loudest noise you are going to record and hit the recored button as you do this. The recorder now opens the mics fully but at a level that should be propper for what you are recording.

On 5/16/2020 2:23 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
Thank you Hamit, for your thoughts.  Talking with the Olympus distributor, I got the impression that the 720 was just like the 520.  Any time I used the 520 for music, I either transferred the files to my computer or just connected the 520 directly to my stereo.  To my old ears, it sounded as good as I could want.

On 5/16/2020 12:29 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Ah hi Howard. Ah the good old trusty DM-520. I too had 1. I had the 420 before. Meh I don't know why Olympus made 2. They were basically the same thing but the 520 did a few more things and the reason I prefered it is that it did LPCM WAV. Of course only at CD or DVD quality. But hay DVD is better then your usual Olympus stuff. The 720 like the P-4 takes 1 triple A and is small. The sound of the 720 and the LS-p4 is too mini me for my liking. I'm sure 1 can get these older recorders on Ebay. Hell I've even seen the DM-620 on Amazon.

On 5/16/2020 1:24 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I bought an Olympus DM-520 (I think was the number) about ten years ago. It was a great tiny device and I used it to record everything. Recently, the power slide switch has stopped working. It's a mechanical switch with some sort of spring to make it return to a center position. Contacting the Olympus distribution point, I found that they no longer support that model and they suggest I purchase a DM-720 as a replacement.  After the covid thing goes away, I will have a friend take a look at the switch.  If he can't do anything with it, I'll see if I can justify buying the newer model.

Howard

On 5/16/2020 11:38 AM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I am still in the market for a new recorder. I did look at zooms but
I'm needing menu accessibility with my recorder, I'm not really
needing an app or anything like that I am just looking for a
standalone recorder.

What are opinions on current Olympus recorders?

Thanks.
Dave.