Re: olympus recorders

Howard Traxler

Thank you Hamit, for your thoughts.  Talking with the Olympus distributor, I got the impression that the 720 was just like the 520.  Any time I used the 520 for music, I either transferred the files to my computer or just connected the 520 directly to my stereo.  To my old ears, it sounded as good as I could want.

On 5/16/2020 12:29 PM, Hamit Campos wrote:
Ah hi Howard. Ah the good old trusty DM-520. I too had 1. I had the 420 before. Meh I don't know why Olympus made 2. They were basically the same thing but the 520 did a few more things and the reason I prefered it is that it did LPCM WAV. Of course only at CD or DVD quality. But hay DVD is better then your usual Olympus stuff. The 720 like the P-4 takes 1 triple A and is small. The sound of the 720 and the LS-p4 is too mini me for my liking. I'm sure 1 can get these older recorders on Ebay. Hell I've even seen the DM-620 on Amazon.

On 5/16/2020 1:24 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I bought an Olympus DM-520 (I think was the number) about ten years ago. It was a great tiny device and I used it to record everything. Recently, the power slide switch has stopped working. It's a mechanical switch with some sort of spring to make it return to a center position.  Contacting the Olympus distribution point, I found that they no longer support that model and they suggest I purchase a DM-720 as a replacement.  After the covid thing goes away, I will have a friend take a look at the switch.  If he can't do anything with it, I'll see if I can justify buying the newer model.

Howard

On 5/16/2020 11:38 AM, David Mehler wrote:
Hello,

I am still in the market for a new recorder. I did look at zooms but
I'm needing menu accessibility with my recorder, I'm not really
needing an app or anything like that I am just looking for a
standalone recorder.

What are opinions on current Olympus recorders?

Thanks.
Dave.