Re: Recording from recorders like Zoom - How would you do it?

Aidan

If using something like h6 I cannot really imagine that you would need
to apply noise filters. Unless you very picky.

On 5/13/20, Georgina Joyce <gena@gena-j.me.uk> wrote:
Hello Tim,

Interesting, if using a non destructive DAW like reaper, if it is
incorrectly applied simply undo it. I am not familiar with using expanders.
But the noise comes from whatever equipment. Very few mics have a
undetectable noise floor and even the best pre-amps have some noise. So a
light touch of post processing is likely to be required. But as you rightly
point out it is down to the environment and what purpose the recording is to
serve.

Thanks,

On 13 May 2020, at 12:23, tim cumings <thcumings@comcast.net> wrote:

I agree about most of theadvice here. However i would be careful about
using a noise gate. If set incorrectly, a noise gate can make things sound
worse than better. A downward expander would be better, but if you are
using a quality mic and have recording levels set properly, even a
downward expander probably isn't necessary, depending on what you are
recording.

On 5/12/2020 5:30 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

Rather than making the current discussion on Zoom Microphones. very long
I thought I would ask the community of their experiences and how they
undertake a recording? As I was not sure if Andy wanted tips on recording
techniques I thought such a thread would help him and those of us who
have a Zoom.

Firstly, I would record in wav. Then use reaper to apply a noise gate.
This removes hiss and other quiet unwanted noises.

I would not use a capsule on the recorder unless it was the only mic
available for that application. Using such a mic I would secure the
recorder and start the recording early so that I could discard the first
second as it will contain handling noise.

I would not wear noisy clothing or jewellery and try to get away from the
active recording space. It is surprising how clothing, shoes and bangles
rustle and jangle when you are trying to be quiet.

Then it is about choosing the mic for the sound stage I am trying to
capture. Remembering that the wider stage means that I have to be that
much quieter. It could pick me up breathing and moving my feet.

Then there are practical considerations such as power for the Zoom and
protection from wind and rain.

Of the top of my head these are the considerations I would employ before
a recording. So what about your experiences and approach?