Re: Query about recording audio cassettes to mp3 via the pc

Robin Frost

Hi Steve,

thank you for such a thoughtful reply.  I always try to exhaust all my own resources before yelling for help as it were. So I explored the settings very thoroughly and tried changing various things and then restoring to defaults to no avail. I thought at one time I'd gotten the Bose input jack to work but can't reproduce this so am wondering if I just thought I'd gotten it to work once upon a day as I do not see it as a recording input source anywhere in settings and I have it set to display even ones that aren't available at the time or however it's phrased in Windows.

.

I hope I get it figured out too eventually. ☺

Take good care.

Robin

On 2/4/2020 9:59 PM, Steve Jacobson wrote:

Robin,

It sounds like you are on the way to a solution, but it is not
impossible that the input jacks on your Bose speakers might work.
However, you will need to explore your sound settings when something is
plugged into that jack. The fact that your speakers are USB speakers
implies that they are already acting as a second sound card. The trick
might be that if they support inputs as well, you will have to switch to
the inputs associated with the Bose speaker in the record tab within the
sound settings on Control Panel. The Bose option, if there is one, may
not be active unless something is plugged into the input jacks. It is at
least worth a try. If you get another sound card, you are probably going
to still need to explore the sound settings to get things to work, so
doing some exploring in case you don't need the additional sound card
won't be a waste of time.

It is also possible that your Microphone input
on your desktop is still set for microphone and that it is overloading.
The sound settings might be able to change the function of that jack to
Line in which could clear things up. In addition, sometimes the
Microphone dialog has a check box for additional amplification.
Unchecking that box and lowering the volume level associated with it might
work as well. However, sometimes I have found the input jack on the front
of a computer is not stereo. Have you explored the back of your desktop?
There are usually additional jacks. If your workstation is a laptop in a
docking station, that can confuse matters further. Like you, I was more
comfortable when each jack had a function and you new what it was. On my
newest desktop, pretty much any jack can have any function. When I plug
in headphones, a dialog asks which device did I plug in and I select
headphones and then they work. I can use a microphone or headphones in
either of the front panel jacks depending upon how I answer the dialog.
In my case, some of the assignments are not easy to manage because the
dialog doesn't work well with screen readers. Anyway, I hope you are able
to get it figured out.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

-----Original