Re: Query about recording audio cassettes to mp3 via the pc

Curtis Delzer

hi, you may have to use an output of the sound card for the speakers, since computers usually don't handle more than one audio USB at a time.

Hopefully the sound card you wish to use has more than just a microphone input as such, or a facility for handling all you desire to use.

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 2/4/2020 2:01 PM, Robin Frost wrote:
Hi,,

Awww you made me smile.

actually when I did try using the mic/line in jack on the desktop tower its resulting sound was hideous I mean awful which is what started this trek down the proverbial rabbit trail.  I spotted a reasonably priced sound blaster USB card which I consider purchasing to use solely for recording I just hope using such wouldn't impact my Bose speakers which plug into the pc via USB as well.  In theory one would think that I could keep the Bose as my default for output and use the sound blaster solely for recording and such but one never knows with such things these days.

Thanks for your reply I appreciate you.

Robin

On 2/4/2020 4:46 PM, Curtis Delzer wrote:

I bet your speakers are just amplifying the sound from the cassette
directly. Try plugging your cassette deck into the microphone / aux plug
on your PC and hopefully a circuit in there will determine which to use
e.g. you don't want microphone amplification on the high level of the
cassette audio, or, you can look into your properties of the audio mixer
of the laptop and see if you can switch to "high level" input or auxiliary
type input, and there you can probably "monitor" the input with the
speakers, via an adjustment inside one of the pages of the recording input
of that item. Inexpensive sound cards with solutions to this kind of issue
are readily available, as well as such as

virtual audio cable which can direct any sound source into as much as you
could possibly need, all behind the scenes.

I use that all the time for many things. :)

Hopefully your laptop has a facility which will suit your needs.

and, I believe you are a bright girl, why not?

Curtis Delzer
HS
K 6 V F O
Rialto, CA

curtis@...

On 2/4/2020 6:22 AM, Robin Frost wrote:

Hi,

Firstly I'd like to apologize in advance if my question isn't the most
clearly stated.  I used to be a smart girl but now suddenly I don't feel
so anymore so when answering just assume I know nothing (laughs).

It used to be that my desktop had a real dedicated sound card with tons of
jacks from which to choose.  However, sadly my newer HP Elite Work Station
desktop is only fitted with the two jacks on front one for headset and one
for microphone line in or so it'd seem. Firstly the sound from these seems
to me to be worse than horrific.  For speakers I'm using the Bose
Companion 5's I think they were called which are lo longer produced.
These speakers have a microphone line-in jack on their volume control and
if I run a patch cord from say a cassette deck to it I can hear the output
but no recording program seems to pick it up through stereo mix.

Phew now with all that out of the way I'm wondering if any of you really
smart and capable people have any thoughts on how one can make this work.
Is the best way forward to grab a USB sound card and install it and set it
for input only? If so have you any model recommendations? And if I plug
one of these things in is it gonna disturb the performance of the Bose
speakers which are plugged in via USB for output?

I hope at least some of this makes sense.

Thanks again for putting up with me today I hate not feeling smart about a
topic.

take good care.

Robin