HDMI sound Bar and a Computer?

Merv Keck <blind5sparrow@...>

Hi,

I have a good speaker system on my laptop. However, I know someone who does
not. I have a Yamaha YAS106 sound bar which I used for a couple of years on
an HDTV but no longer use. This was the last model that did not have a touch
screen before they replaced it with the YAS 107 or YAZ107. I might have the
YAS and YAZ mixed up in my head now. anyway this sound bar has HDMI and
optical on it. And I was wondering since the laptop in question has HDMI
could a sound bar be connected to the computer and work for a speaker system
that way or does there need to be video involved through the HDMI on the
laptop as well?

Merv