From: all-audio@groups.io <all-audio@groups.io> On Behalf Of Dane Trethowan
Sent: Monday, June 10, 2019 3:41 PM
To: all-audio@groups.io
Subject: Re: [all-audio] Article: File management makeover, operating system to boost iPad

This is only a guess.
I tried to power a sound device - Creative Sound Blaster Omni - from the iPad only to get an error, not enough power available.
All my Shure microphones work okay so they obviously take less power than does the Sound Device.

On 11 Jun 2019, at 5:18 am, Aidan <aidan.smarttalk@...> wrote:

Great, but it brings me back to my post earlier as to why I need an
IMak rather, I mean, why is the photos folder not vvisible? I do
understand the power issue, but why can the lightning port not power
drives, it can power sertin soundcards?
But of corse each bit helps.

On 6/10/19, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:
These changes to Apple iPad OS are going to make things all that much
easier for those of us who use the iPad as a recorder etc.
The following article appeared in Today's "Theaustralian" newspaper.
<snip>
File management makeover, operating system to boost iPad Apple chief
design officer Jonathan Ive and senior vice president of hardware
engineering Dan Riccio look at the screen of an iPad in San Jose.
Picture: AP
ByCHRIS GRIFFITH,
TECHNOLOGY REPORTER
Apple’s iPad is getting a file management makeover, and that means
vastly increased functionality. You’ll be able to plug in USB drives,
SD cards, and

external drives, and access media as you would on a laptop. This is
expected

to majorly extend the iPad’s usefulness.
The new feature was announced at Apple’s Worldwide Developers
Conference in

San Jose last week and will be available around spring, when Apple
releases

its first iPad-specific operating system, iPadOS. If you can’t wait
until then, you can download a public beta (trial) version in July.
It’s one of a slew of changes to the iPad. They include a feature
called Sidecar, where you use an iPad as a second screen for a Mac.
The Files app currently lets you access and open files on an iPad, or
through various cloud services. These services include iCloud Drive,
Box, Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Adobe Creative Cloud and Google
Drive. You can

move iCloud Drive files to your local drive, or use regular iPad
services to

email, share and print them.
But it lacked the versatility of managing files on external drives
available

on a laptop.
The shift to iPads with a USB-C drive has finally seen Apple make
this much

easier. iPadOS will let you plug in external hard drives, USB flash
drives and SD cards using an adaptor, and access and transfer files
to and from iPad.
Apple says the new functions will apply to all current iPad models,
iPad Air

and even five-year-old iPad Minis. But iPads with lightning
connectors rather than USB-C ones won’t be able to power external
drives. In those cases, you’ll need an external power source.
When you plug in a drive, you will be able to drill down into nested
folders, manage and move files. An external drive will be visible
along with

iPad folders, and those from the cloud services. But folders used by
the Photos app won’t be visible.
You will be able to locate images and email them as attachments, or
edit them without needing to copy them into iPad storage. You can
post files stored on external drives straight to social media.
You will be able to open a third-party video editing app on an iPad
and work

with a bunch of high-resolution videos sitting on an SD card. You can
more easily process media on the go.
The same features will work with an iPhone, although you will
currently need

a lightning adaptor, which means no external power support, and you
will have to make do with the smaller screen. You will be able to
create local folders on an iPad.
Apple is adding SMB support, so from your home network you can access
files

from a home PC, file server and network storage.
Apple also announced changes to Safari on iPad. Users will see the
desktop version of websites rather than the more limited mobile
sites. Users will be

able to manage and edit WordPress and Squarespace websites from iPad.
Apple says the new file management will support external media
formatted as

FAT, exFAT (used by Windows), HFS and APFS (used by macOS) Safari on
iPad will have a download manager — again, the iPad will have a more
desktop-like functionality. The Files app will interact with a
downloads folder.
There’s lots of general changes. The iPad home page will display
widgets on

the left side and you can configure a series of widgets that scroll
up from

the bottom.
There’s new gestures for accessing several apps at the same time side
by side.
You can have two instances of the same app running next to one
another. You

could show two Notes app documents side by side, scroll through one
and selectively copy text to the other. Slide over mode lets you
access selected

apps by sliding left from the right side of the screen. You could set
up your iPad to access your calendar, mail and messages in this way.
Text editing has been overhauled. Scrolling up and down documents
requires less effort, moving the cursor around a document is more
intuitive, you can

copy and paste using three finger gestures, and Apple virtual
keyboards support swipe typing.
Apple says it has reduced the latency (delay) using Apple Pencil from
about

24 to 9 milliseconds.
Chris Griffith attended Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference in
San Jose

courtesy of Apple.
<snip>