Re: Portable digital recorders

Hamit Campos

Ah true that. Also don't forget you all the F6 will be out soon. Again Gena this is up to how much dough you want to spend and have. I have an H6 but would love 1 of the F recorders. Again that's just me because I want reality quality. i want movie studio audio. The H6 is great though and I do love it.

On 6/8/2019 1:15 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
The more suggestions you have then the better you will be informed regarding your buying decisions and investments, obviously whatever you buy you want to last.
I have a Zoom F8N recorder as its a machine that can handle every recording task I’m likely ever to take on whether those tasks be as simple as recording meetings or as complex as recording an entire jam session.
The same size doesn’t fit all however and we all have budgets that we come up against so - even though I have a Zoom F8N - I’m a great believer in using what you already have at your disposal to do the job if at all possible thus saving you money.
This demo you’re planning on is it going to consist mainly of speech?
If that’s the case then the Shure microphones I mentioned in my previous eMail will do the job nicely even for music and you already have the hardware to utilise these microphones in the form of your iPhone and Samsung.
Getting recordings you’ve made from your equipment is pretty easy.
Suppose you take the option of using the Shure microphones, you can use the Shure Mative App for recording and exporting to other formats or use the Twisted Wave apps I mentioned to do the complete job, your call.

On 9 Jun 2019, at 1:57 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello,

To me it seems an exciting world. I don’t know what I will use things for until such time as I know what tools I have at my disposal. I have always made compromises and I accept that working with audio it is always making compromises. At the moment I just want to get a very nice sound as professional as I can at home and out and about. The Dragon-boat nationals are in October so got some time to play. While I redo my tutorial on DMR which sounds absolutely awful.

Yes, I am looking at stuff that could be overkill but such equipment is an investment so it is important to have room for growth. Rather than wanting something better 5 minutes after purchasing it.

Thanks, for your input. It is really making me think about how I get to my goals.

Gena
On 8 Jun 2019, at 16:26, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

Hi,
Based on the description of the task at hand I’m wondering if its worth the bother using something like the Zoom recorders we’re discussing?
The H4N Pro, H6 etc are all multi track recorders and fine recorders they are.
You may consider using the iPhone or the Galaxy phone you have.
I know with the iPhone I use a very nice recording tool called Twisted Wave or the free TW Recorder.
Using the iPhone itself the recorder can record 48K Sampling. Rate in stereo which may be all that is required for a demo when using speech.
Adapters may be required for use of particular microphones. With my iPhone I use the Shure NV51 or NV88 microphones.
Amazon is a treasure trove for this sort of stuff so it might be worth spending a few minutes doing a few searches, doing some browsing and see what you come up with.

On 8 Jun 2019, at 8:57 am, Georgina Joyce <gena@...> wrote:

Hello Christopher,

I am a radio ham and I decided to do recordings to demonstrate how to use accessible tools to access a digital system called DMR. While my resources have been very much appreciated. I really hate them. So I had heard Garth on Audio Pizza instruct the listener how to use Reaper. I also discovered the resources by CAVI and I am working through that material.

I recently went to Barcelona to paddle for Preston Dragons. I would have loved to record parts of the dragon-boat festival. While no-one can take our memories away I would have loved a recording of that event.

On 7 Jun 2019, at 22:43, Christopher Wright <chris@...> wrote:

Hi Gena,

What do you plan to do with this stuff? You might not need a digital recorder.

On 6/7/2019 4:46 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello,

I am just started, currently I only have a Yeti that I have used for years and a dynamic ATR-2100, the beginner’s mic. I have got my focus on a AT-2035 but I need to be careful how much I am spending. But father Christmas might bring me a Cad E-100S. I am only looking at cardioid pattern at the moment. The Zoom would enable me to use the 2100 and be ready for any direction of growth I wish.

Thanks for the encouragement. I wondered when you make settings are they maintained each time you turn it on? Also when you change the batteries are the menu options held?

Thanks,

On 7 Jun 2019, at 21:20, Hamit Campos <hamitcampos@...> wrote:

What kinda condencer do you have? I bought the H6 for the same reason. I have an Audio-Technica AT-8022 stereo mic. Comprized of 2 modded AT-4021s.

On 6/7/2019 3:55 PM, Georgina Joyce wrote:
Hello All,

I wondered if anyone was using a good portable digital recorder? I like the idea of the Zoom H5 or 6 but I see that it is necessary to navigate menus. So I guess it’s not an option for me.

I require an XLR and phantom power for my mic. What are the experiences of others?

Thanks,

Christopher Wright - helping podcasters, trainers, and speakers produce and publish great spoken word audio without spending hours on editing
Phone: 914-664-5014 [If I don't respond within thirty seconds, you can leave a voicemail. If you would like to speak with me, please request an appointment]
email: chris@...
web site: www.wright-media.com
Twitter: @chrisw1
Skype: wrightmedia1