Re: Notes on Twistedwave App

Dane Trethowan

Interesting.
I’ve used both an iPhone and an iPad Pro with Built-in microphone and external microphones in the form of the Shure NV51 and NV88.
The input gain is available but only in recording mode it seems so if you want to adjust then you do that on-the-fly or pause your recording, make your adjustment and resume where you left off perhaps taking the opportunity to set a marker at the point where you resumed recording.
Input gain won’t work if the IOS Microphone processing is enabled and that’s fair enough given you’re using the IOS device to set that stuff.
I guess its equally fair enough that the input gain should only appear on the recording screen though I have to admit that this too a little getting used to.

On 3 May 2019, at 8:51 pm, Don Breda <don.breda@...> wrote:

Oh now there is the wrinkle I believe.

My tests were done with the built in mic on the iPhone 8.

Looks like the gain control does not apply to that mic no matter if the processing is turned on or off.

Don

On 02-May-19 3:39 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
I’ve also been testing with the Shure NV51 microphone.

On 3 May 2019, at 5:37 am, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

Yes that’s what I’ve been using for my tests.
Now the other thing I found and I don’t know whether you’ve found this, you can only adjust the input gain whilst recording? If you can adjust whilst stopped then I’ve not found the adjustment anywhere.

On 3 May 2019, at 5:21 am, Don Breda <don.breda@...> wrote:

Very very strange!

I used the recorder not the editor so another words the free app.

I see a clear difference in the recordings from you but that didn't happen here.

I don't know why.

I will play some more.

Now I am wondering can you test the manual gain setting to see if it works?

Don

On 02-May-19 2:46 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Now this is interesting.
What IOS App did you use to make your recording, Twistedwave Recorder or Twistedwave Audio Editor.
If the latter then yes there doesn’t appear to be any difference whether processing is on or off but with the recorder? Well listen for yourself to the test file I generated.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kn2414odo3pljr5/Testing%20The%20Application.flac?dl=0

On 3 May 2019, at 4:08 am, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@...> wrote:

I’m just looking at your eMail again and perhaps I didn’t fully understand your original eMail so I’m testing more fully now.

On 2 May 2019, at 9:15 pm, Don Breda <don.breda@...> wrote:

Hi Dane,

One problem I found with the recorder app under discussion here is that if you turn IOS processing off the manual gain control setting does not work.

I am not sure that the IOS processing setting actually can be turned on or off at all even though it appears as if you can.

I made two recordings one with and one without the setting enabled and found no difference.

I then kept the setting turned off and tried to adjust the gain manually but what that adjustment really does is change the playback volume and not the mic gain.

I then made another recording trying to adjust the mic gain before hitting record in case the adjustment is disabled durring recording which would be crazy I know but all recordings came out identically no matter what I did.

You do not need both apps. The editor is the recorder with all in app purchases included.

Don

On 01-May-19 3:42 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
Hi,
I have found the Twistedwave Audio Editor for IOS which costs $13 and has added functionality such as additional processing, effects etc.
I’m yet to work out how a VoiceOver user might go to a specific part of a file - say edit the cursor or selection values as one can in Twistedwave for Mac OS -, I’ll do some further exploring later on today.
Twistedwave Audio Editor for IOS still has many useful functions so - combined with Twistedwave Recorder - brings some powerful audio tools to the IOS desktop.
I tried recording from another source using Twistedwave Recorder - a Creative Labs Omni Surround USB device - however I didn’t get far as IOS came back telling me that the iPad Pro didn’t have enough power to drive it.

On 1 May 2019, at 9:34 pm, tim cumings <thcumings@...> wrote:

Hi, Dane. I was very interested in your comments about twisted wave on the iphone. Here is my question.

How easy is it to do fine editing using twisted wave on an ios device, i.e. an iphone or ipad? Do you need to use an external keyboard, or can you use the iphone screen?

Can you do scrubbing with twisted wave? Can you set start and finish markers and then move them in small increments if necessary?

In short, do you think editing in twisted wave on an iphonecan give you the same results as, for example, editing with goldwave or sound forge on a pc?

On 4/30/2019 6:45 PM, Dane Trethowan wrote:

Hi,
I wrote to the list some weeks ago regarding the truly excellent Twistedwave audio production tool for Mac OS.
I’ve since settled in to using the Twistedwave App full- time without problems and its a simple case of the more I use the software then the more I discover hence this update.
I discovered two Twistedwave Apps on the IOS Apps Store, Twistedwave or TW Recorder and Twistedwave Remote.
TW Recorder is a fully featured recorder for IOS which is truly accessible.
TW Recorder is free but you do have to pay for the option to export files to different formats which costs $5.
Exporting allows you to save your recordings in whatever format you choose - FLAC is supported -. After saving your recordings you have multiple sharing options available including the ability to upload to your favourite Cloud service.
Simple editing of audio recordings can be performed with TW Recorder and markers/selections can be manipulated.
Twistedwave Remote allows remote control of the Twistedwave Mac OS App on your IOS device and again all buttons are accessible.
I wrote to the developer of the Apps congratulating them on the excellent work down here and hope that others who decide to use the Twistedwave Apps enjoy using them as much as I do and send the developer feedback.