Re: Curious

Mary Otten

I don’t think that Daisy will become superfluous. I don’t agree, however, that audible readers are worse than those from Bard. There are some excellent readers on Audible who are better than any current readers on Bard, in my view. Others may not be so good. But audible has a lot more books than bard. That’s why am still in Audible member. Yes, they cost money. But there are things that audible records that Barb will never have.

On Mar 20, 2019, at 9:37 AM, Kelly Pierce <kellytalk@gmail.com> wrote:

First, Kindle books cost money. I live in Chicago and my city
government buys more than 100,000 print books a year for the public
library system. One of the taxpayer-funded universities in my state,
the University of Illinois, has more than 14 million books. It is
bigger than the libraries of Yale, Princeton and the University of
Chicago. I can order nearly all of these books from my local library
and read them for free. If I had to pay for them, I would not be able
to access the knowledge I could because of the cost. Blind people need
access to vast libraries at little or no cost like sighted people do.
Older books and those of a scientific or specialized nature will never
make it to kindle. They will need to be scanned and offered to the
blind in an electronic format. Kindle only allows a computer to select
a few words of text so note taking from a Kindle book is tedious.

I have listened to a few audio books produced buy Audible. The library
for the blind program here in America began incorporating commercial
audio books into its program a few years ago. These include Audible
books. The readers are not as good as those from the library for the
blind or from the major book publishers. Audible seems to use second
tier voice talent who have quirky voices. The reader of one book was
emotionless and did not connect with the material. Also, Audible often
does not read books on regional history, regional non-fiction or those
of extremely controversial topics. The national library service
records audio books that fill in these gaps.

When cross-border sharing of accessible books becomes available later
this year, people will have more books than they could possibly read
so many of these commercial services will seem superfluous.
Kelly

On 3/20/19, Dane Trethowan <grtdane@internode.on.net> wrote:
Hi,

I have a question for the list.

With the advent of such services as Kindle and Audible along with quite a
few others do list members think that Daisy will die or will their even be
need for Daisy in the not to distant future.

With my Echo Show paired to my Braille Display I now read a huge amount of
content from Kindle though I can have the Show read this out using the
built-in TTS.

I'm also a great fan of Audible, I've had an Audbile account for years but
haven't used it very much until recently.

Again the Echo Show will handle Audible quite nicely though I do tend to
listen to Audible content through my Samsung phone which has incredibly
good
sound particularly for spoken workd material or perhaps Audible is doing a
little optimisation somewhere in the audio chain <smile>.

I don't have a particular view on the question I asked above, I'm just
curious as to what other viewpoints are on this topic.