Re: Speakers

Howard Traxler <howard@...>

Thank you Dane for your explanation.  I think it's what I was looking for.  I think I'll stick to my old "pair of speakers" type of system.

Howard

On 2/28/2019 9:41 AM, Dane Trethowan wrote:
The one good thing about all the Amazon speakers now is that they have line-out so you can use them with some other powered speakers, stereo Amplifier etc.
The newer generation of Amazon Echo speakers have something called Dolby 360 and I tend to think this is a marketing therm rather than actually meaning that the speaker is stereo.
It seems that - if you’re talking Smack Speakers - then you’re better to stick to the Smart Speaker brands themselves such as Amazon and Google.
I have a Google Home Mac smart speaker here which is supposed to be the best sounding speaker in the Google range and its not bad but it is not portable and certainly wouldn’t fit the requirements of the original author of this thread.
What I really like about the Google Home Max is its auto room tuning function.
In many cases multi room speakers system are back to where it all started - feeding both stereo channels into one speaker - so in order to get stereo you need “A Pair”.
There are multi room speakers that come as a stereo speaker such as the Denon Heos 7 and Heos 5 speakers.
The Denon Heos 3 and Heos 1 are speakers speakers which you can pair together and that actually has advantages.
You might just want to use one Denon Heos 3 speaker as a centre speaker for example.
Getting back to the Google Home Max speaker I mentioned earlier.
I’m considering getting another to make a pair.
When the Mac lays horizontally its a stereo speaker though separation isn’t all that good.
When the Max stands vertically it is a mono speaker and can be part of a pair if there are 2 Max speakers.
You can do similar things with amazon echo speakers.

On 1 Mar 2019, at 1:14 am, Howard Traxler <howard@traxlerenterprises.com> wrote:

Hi all,

I'm wondering about the speakers that folks are talking about these days: the blue tooth and the smart, etc. Are they one speaker or a box with two or more speakers in it? We went for more than 50 years needing a pair of speakers for stereo. Have we now gone back to listening to one speaker as if we have one ear? I would hate to think that all these multi-channel systems send their output to only one speaker.. I don't think my amazon echo dot plays stereo so when I use it for music, I hook it up to my stereo system.

Howard