Opening M4A's in Sound Forge 12

Steve Matzura

A friend read something for me on their Mac, and the files are Quicktime M4A format. I tried opening them in Sound Forge 12 to normalize them a bit, but was told by Sound Forge that I'm missing Quicktime version 7. A url was shown on the open error dialog which would take me to the download page where I could get Quicktime,but when I went there, the page said that Quicktime plugingsupport has been available in Windows since 2009. I'm not interested in plugin support, so should I download version 7 of Quicktime and install it anyway so I can open these files in SF 12? Or should I just punt the M4A files by normalizing and saving them in another format (like MP3) in Reaper?