Windows 7 reaching end of life today - Time to upgrade #announcements

prog

Greg Ella

To Linux?

Greg Ella
N0EMP

Simon Brown

And,

Remember the free Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade? Recently I did this for free.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/windows-upgrade

Simon Brown, G4ELI

https://www.sdr-radio.com

From: airspy@groups.io <airspy@groups.io> On Behalf Of prog
Sent: 14 January 2020 09:49
To: airspy@groups.io
Subject: [Special] [airspy] Windows 7 reaching end of life today - Time to upgrade #announcements

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information

Edward MacDonald

How weird. I found the exact same article and upgraded from 7 to 10.

I was pleasantly surprised. My code development laptop actually is alot faster now and Visual Stuido opens almost instantly. 

Only drawback...I backed up all my code to a 64 GB SD card for convience. AND Windiws 10 has no driver for my XD card reader on my laptop

GitHub from now on.

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020, 9:30 AM Simon Brown, <simon@...> wrote:

And,

Remember the free Windows 7 to Windows 10 upgrade? Recently I did this for free.

https://www.sdr-radio.com/windows-upgrade

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: airspy@groups.io <airspy@groups.io> On Behalf Of prog
Sent: 14 January 2020 09:49
Subject: [Special] [airspy] Windows 7 reaching end of life today - Time to upgrade #announcements

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information

Ian DXer

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020 at 02:26 AM, Simon Brown wrote:
Indeed Simon.
Only discovered this myself two weeks ago thanks to free advice from a PC retailer.
Many $$$ saved & the parents PC upgraded from 7 to 10 for free in less than 3 hours.
All I had to go on was his written notes: "Download Windows 10 update assistant from Microsoft" & "Upgrade this PC"
and something a read weeks earlier about the Media Creation tool.
Simple process.

Mitch

Surely you can find a driver from the card reader manufacturer, but using SD for source code backups makes me shiver.  They have a very finite life cycle.

I use a USB Terabyte hard drive from Western Digital.  ~$50 for that unit and it just sits there and accepts whatever i tell it to swallow over USB.

John Dusek

As an IT person who has installed a lot of Windows 10 configurations – don’t upgrade, reinstall instead.

My advice to all is to NOT do the Win 7 (or 8.x) to Win 10 upgrade as provided by Microsoft, I highly suggest for maximum performance to:

1.      Download Windows 10 install media to a USB stick from MS site (free and open to download)

2.      Backup files and SW configuration from the machine to be upgraded

3.      Copy the current Windows license key from the sticker on the PC and the license type (Home, Professional, etc.)

4.      Install Windows 10 and select the option to replace everything on the machine and NOT make current files available after install (this in effect reformats your hard drive)  I find to do the custom install and when it shows you the partitions available, to delete all existing partitions – The Install process wil then set up new partitions to install into

5.      Select the type of license you want to install based on the current Windows (7/8.x) license key – it will ask you to enter the license key and if you enter the previous Win 7/Win 8.x key, it automatically upgrades the license to Win10 at that point (sometimes the install file finds the old license key off the PC, especially on Dell’s, and doesn’t asks you for this).

6.      Once install is completed, copy your files/reinstall your apps to the machine

I have done it both ways on multiple PC’s and the full reinstall (w reformat) ends up with a MUCH FASTER PC than the OS upgrade path will have given you. 

I have ended up with some VERY SLOW upgraded PC’s on Win10 that are almost unusable they are so slow - so now always use this replace/reformat option.

Also, as a side note, even if you don’t have the previous license key, you can install Windows 10 at any license type (Home, Professional) on a PC and based on current Microsoft guidelines, the license will work and will not time out nor limit functionality if it remains unlicensed over time. 

That is different from Windows 7 which would restrict certain system functions if the install remained unlicensed.

I hope this helps someone.

From: airspy@groups.io [mailto:airspy@groups.io] On Behalf Of Ian DXer
Sent: Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:53 AM
Subject: Re: [airspy] Windows 7 reaching end of life today - Time to upgrade #announcements

Indeed Simon.
Only discovered this myself two weeks ago thanks to free advice from a PC retailer.
Many $$$ saved & the parents PC upgraded from 7 to 10 for free in less than 3 hours.
All I had to go on was his written notes: "Download Windows 10 update assistant from Microsoft" & "Upgrade this PC"
Simple process.

Simon Brown

And you could be able (should be able) to install a W7 driver.

https://www.quora.com/Will-Windows-7-programs-work-in-Windows-10?redirected_qid=4667825

Simon Brown, G4ELI

From: airspy@groups.io <airspy@groups.io> On Behalf Of Mitch
Sent: 15 January 2020 15:13
Subject: Re: [airspy] Windows 7 reaching end of life today - Time to upgrade #announcements

Surely you can find a driver from the card reader manufacturer, but using SD for source code backups makes me shiver.  They have a very finite life cycle.

I use a USB Terabyte hard drive from Western Digital.  ~$50 for that unit and it just sits there and accepts whatever i tell it to swallow over USB.

Edward MacDonald

It was a temporary decision as I have nothing else at home at the time. I got it all back. Just popped the card in my phone and transfered it over. I ordered a 1 TB backup from Amazon today.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 9:50 AM Mitch, <ab4mw@...> wrote:

Edward MacDonald

I used a bootable USB made from the ISO. Formatted hard drive and reinstalled new. Copied back files I need. (Visual Studio code projects.) 

The last driver for my built in card reader was for Win 8.1. Nothing else available. I don't care about the card reader. Everything else works perfect.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 2:47 PM Edward MacDonald via Groups.Io, <edwardmacdonald74=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
It was a temporary decision as I have nothing else at home at the time. I got it all back. Just popped the card in my phone and transfered it over. I ordered a 1 TB backup from Amazon today.

On Wed, Jan 15, 2020, 9:50 AM Mitch, <ab4mw@...> wrote:

jdow

Much faster at first. Over time Win 10 slows down the the regulation Microsoft speeds as you build the machine out to "work MY way not THEIR way." But, hyper fast is not necessarily fastest for getting your work done.

{^_-}

On 20200115 08:09:20, John Dusek wrote:
As an IT person who has installed a lot of Windows 10 configurations – _don’t upgrade, reinstall instead_.
My advice to all is to NOT do the Win 7 (or 8.x) to Win 10 upgrade as provided by Microsoft, I highly suggest for maximum performance to:
1.Download Windows 10 install media to a USB stick from MS site (free and open to download)
2.Backup files and SW configuration from the machine to be upgraded
3.Copy the current Windows license key from the sticker on the PC and the license type (Home, Professional, etc.)
4.Install Windows 10 and select the option to replace everything on the machine and NOT make current files available after install (this in effect reformats your hard drive)  I find to do the custom install and when it shows you the partitions available, to delete all existing partitions – The Install process wil then set up new partitions to install into
5.Select the type of license you want to install based on the current Windows (7/8.x) license key – it will ask you to enter the license key and if you enter the previous Win 7/Win 8.x key, it automatically upgrades the license to Win10 at that point (sometimes the install file finds the old license key off the PC, especially on Dell’s, and doesn’t asks you for this).
6.Once install is completed, copy your files/reinstall your apps to the machine
I have done it both ways on multiple PC’s and the full reinstall (w reformat) ends up with a MUCH FASTER PC than the OS upgrade path will have given you.
I have ended up with some VERY SLOW upgraded PC’s on Win10 that are almost unusable they are so slow - so now always use this replace/reformat option.
Also, as a side note, even if you don’t have the previous license key, you can install Windows 10 at any license type (Home, Professional) on a PC and based on current Microsoft guidelines, the license will work and will not time out nor limit functionality if it remains unlicensed over time.
That is different from Windows 7 which would restrict certain system functions if the install remained unlicensed.
I hope this helps someone.
*From:*airspy@groups.io [mailto:airspy@groups.io] *On Behalf Of *Ian DXer
*Sent:* Wednesday, January 15, 2020 4:53 AM
*To:* airspy@groups.io
*Subject:* Re: [airspy] Windows 7 reaching end of life today - Time to upgrade #announcements
Indeed Simon.
Simple process.

john ashe

Thanks to John Dusek for the instruction steps for upgrading a PC from Win7 to Win10.
I tried it and it worked like a charm for me. Cooool!! Thanks for posting that.

I would just insert another instruction at 5.5 to remove the install media after it finishes
installing the files and before it does the automatic reboot. Otherwise, it just reboots
off the install media again, and you go around in circles.
It is best to sit there and watch the installation process and wait for a message saying
that it has finished installing files. You then have about 10 seconds to remove the install
media before the reboot starts.

Just my 2c!

John

John Dusek

Great suggestion!  That catches me out many times, it tries to restart the install again after the reboot, must remove the USB before it reboots :-) 

On Jan 18, 2020 at 11:57, <john ashe via Groups.Io> wrote:

Thanks to John Dusek for the instruction steps for upgrading a PC from Win7 to Win10.
I tried it and it worked like a charm for me. Cooool!! Thanks for posting that.

I would just insert another instruction at 5.5 to remove the install media after it finishes
installing the files and before it does the automatic reboot. Otherwise, it just reboots
off the install media again, and you go around in circles.
It is best to sit there and watch the installation process and wait for a message saying
that it has finished installing files. You then have about 10 seconds to remove the install
media before the reboot starts.

Just my 2c!

John

Ron

John,
Thank you for your excellent advice, makes perfect sense. Did the Win10 upgrade from scratch from a USB drive this evening. Took my Win7 pro license key and loaded up Win10 pro with no issues. It found my Airspy HF+ automatically and no issues in testing with SDR#, spyserver, and SDR Console V3.

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Ron
WB5DYG
www.wb5dyg.com