Topics

tuning modes #sdrsharp

kb3cs

i'm really appreciating "Fernado Mode" for scrolling along the frequency scale looking for something 'interesting'.  thanks for it!

however, i'm not presently liking "Sticky Mode" because i expect the tuned frequency to not change when i pull the scale left or right to put the 'interesting' signal in the middle of my window of spectrum.

  - 1j (base 53) -

kb3cs

[ with back reference to https://groups.io/g/airspy/message/17838 ]

no one has noticed there is no difference in behavior when you click and pull the frequency scale left or right in any tuning mode?

for instance: tune to 7.215 MHz. select any tuning mode. drag the frequency scale left or right. note the tuned frequency changes. select either of the other two tuning modes. drag the scale again. note the behavior is the same. pick the last of the three tuning modes ... yep, still changes the tuned frequency.

one way or another, i would much appreciate a tuning mode where the tuned frequency stays the same when i drag the frequency scale.

 - 1v (base 41) -

jdow

I'm not sure your description of what you want is clear. Rather than click and drag the receiver's tuned frequency you simply click on the spectrum and it jumps. You can adjust the tuned frequency with the mouse over the frequency readout digits.

Dragging the legend under the spectrum changes the LO for the sampler, the center of its tuning range. The receivers stay put. And you will find that the frequency LO frequency jumps rather than slides.

The problem with what I can understand of your request below arises when you have several receivers (IF - demodulator chains) active at the same time. This set to a frequency within the "IF Bandwidth", determined by the sample rate and LO frequency, will be live, still on their assigned frequencies. The others will remain on their assigned frequency and remain idle producing no output.

With wide sample rates, even rtlsdr.dll dongle sample rates, you tuning mode does not really make sense in the above framework. It may make sense with an sound card based radio. But that's not really SDR-Radio's main target. And adopting that tuning mode would disrupt operations with wide "first IF" (high sample rate) front ends. (The second IF is done digitally and there can be several of them each with its own demodulator.)

For what it is worth I have one "identity" setup with a couple receivers tuned to about 433 MHz and one tuned to 915 MHz. I use that identity with two different front ends fed by different antennas. Only the receivers in within the first IF tuning range (LO set to 433 MHz or 915 MHz) show anything. But I can get a quick estimate if the various "weather sensors" I have floating around the house are working. The job for which that was setup is done. I just have not repurposed that identity yet. (If the number of identities was not limited I'd leave it around. I guess I am sort of a digital packrat. Erm, we'll not talk about physical packrat-itis.)

{^_^}

On 20190827 17:13:00, kb3cs wrote:
[ with back reference to https://groups.io/g/airspy/message/17838 ]
no one has noticed there is no difference in behavior when you click and pull the frequency scale left or right in any tuning mode?
for instance: tune to 7.215 MHz. select any tuning mode. drag the frequency scale left or right. note the tuned frequency changes. select either of the other two tuning modes. drag the scale again. note the behavior is the same. pick the last of the three tuning modes ... yep, still changes the tuned frequency.
one way or another, i would much appreciate a tuning mode where the tuned frequency stays the same when i drag the frequency scale.
 - 1v (base 41) -

jdow

Oh - one more note. The LO tuning is stepped and not retuned frequently because most front ends are not quick enough tuning to make the experience pleasant.
{^_^}

On 20190827 17:13:00, kb3cs wrote:
[ with back reference to https://groups.io/g/airspy/message/17838 ]
no one has noticed there is no difference in behavior when you click and pull the frequency scale left or right in any tuning mode?
for instance: tune to 7.215 MHz. select any tuning mode. drag the frequency scale left or right. note the tuned frequency changes. select either of the other two tuning modes. drag the scale again. note the behavior is the same. pick the last of the three tuning modes ... yep, still changes the tuned frequency.
one way or another, i would much appreciate a tuning mode where the tuned frequency stays the same when i drag the frequency scale.
 - 1v (base 41) -

Kenneth Sejkora

I would like to see such a tuning mode as well

Ken, WBØOCV

On Wednesday, August 28, 2019, 01:42:27 AM EDT, DXer <hfdxmonitor@...> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 27, 2019 at 09:28 PM, kb3cs wrote:
one way or another, i would much appreciate a tuning mode where the tuned frequency stays the same when i drag the frequency scale.

I'll second the 'motion'. A fourth mode perhaps? This way nobody is 'negatively impacted'.

73 de Vince
Ottawa, ON
_._,_._,_

kb3cs

i am not sure your understanding of what i am saying is clear.  :-P

i know very well i may "click tune". i also know pulling the frequency scale left or right could possibly move a RX off-screen (it should mute and be suspended). i am attempting to convey the use case where the RX (since when does SDR# have more than one RX?) is within the central 30% of the spectrum being displayed (min. freq to max. freq). and there is some 'interesting' activity near one of the edges of the spectrum 'window'.

in SDR# "Sticky Mode", i expected the tuned frequency not to change when i pull the freq scale left or right a bit to see what was being obscured.
i seem to remember this was once the behavior of SDR# back in the pre-r1200 daze.

in contrast, SDR Console v3 offers a widget overlaying the freq scale which when pulled left or right reveals spectrum otherwise unobserved AND all RXs remain "on frequency".

i am not asking about feature parity. i am attempting to demonstrate with regard to pulling the freq scale around, SDR# Sticky Mode seems redundant (possibly useless).

have i been sufficiently specific this time?

  - 1z (base 37) -

prog

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 03:25 PM, kb3cs wrote:
i am not asking about feature parity. i am attempting to demonstrate with regard to pulling the freq scale around, SDR# Sticky Mode seems redundant (possibly useless).
With the previous behavior of the "Free tuning" mode, it wasn't really redundant. You could just stick the VFO in the same relative place and scroll the center frequency. This is extremely useful for manual scanning.
Now the "Free tuning" mode is moving the VFO until the edge of the screen (center 90%) then jumps to the next "page" by setting the center frequency to the current center +/- 90% of the visible spectrum width - which now also gives the same manual scanning flavor.
Is the "Sticky" tuning still redundant? It depends on how you use SDR#.
I can eventually add a control key to enable a Sticky frequency like you describe it. For example, CTRL Key + Drag the spectrum.

Pekka Sorjonen

Hear hear. I like the way Free Tuning behaves now but also miss that Sticky frequency when moving spectrum leftbor right.

EB4APL

Please do it, I would find it very useful. And I would suggest another goodie: when moving the LO with the cursor, please also displace the waterfall in order to give continuity to the history.  The new part of the spectrum would be black, of course. SDR Console does it.

Being there, a means to jump the LO a full (or near full) spectrum width, up or down would be appreciated. It is good as a kind of fast visual band scanning. Now I do it dragging the LO from one edge to the other, but something like HDSDR does with an arrow at each spectrum edge is very comfortable.

Regards,

Ignacio, EB4APL

El 28/08/2019 a las 15:40, prog escribió:
[...]

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

prog

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 06:06 PM, EB4APL wrote:

Please do it, I would find it very useful.

Check SDR# rev 1714.

And I would suggest another goodie: when moving the LO with the cursor, please also displace the waterfall in order to give continuity to the history.  The new part of the spectrum would be black, of course. SDR Console does it.

Later, later.

Being there, a means to jump the LO a full (or near full) spectrum width, up or down would be appreciated. It is good as a kind of fast visual band scanning. Now I do it dragging the LO from one edge to the other, but something like HDSDR does with an arrow at each spectrum edge is very comfortable.

Regards,

Ignacio, EB4APL

This one was actually planned. You will like the final results.

Guido Schotmans

While at Tuning, I would like to rise the question again to lock the LO when recording. That is the most annoying thing SDR# is still suffering from.

73,

Guido.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 06:06 PM, EB4APL wrote:

Please do it, I would find it very useful.

Check SDR# rev 1714.

And I would suggest another goodie: when moving the LO with the cursor, please also displace the waterfall in order to give continuity to the history.  The new part of the spectrum would be black, of course. SDR Console does it.

Later, later.

Being there, a means to jump the LO a full (or near full) spectrum width, up or down would be appreciated. It is good as a kind of fast visual band scanning. Now I do it dragging the LO from one edge to the other, but something like HDSDR does with an arrow at each spectrum edge is very comfortable.

Regards,

Ignacio, EB4APL

This one was actually planned. You will like the final results.

Virusvrij. www.avg.com

Mitja kocjančič

Or even better
Add an option to write a new file when LO changes
So when doing FM bandscan you would have nice IQ files

--
Sent from myMail for Android

sreda, 28 avgust 2019, 07:53PM +02:00 from Guido Schotmans guidoschotmans@...:

On 20190828 05:19:38, kb3cs wrote:
i am not sure your understanding of what i am saying is clear.  :-P
i know very well i may "click tune". i also know pulling the frequency scale left or right could possibly move a RX off-screen (it should mute and be suspended). i am attempting to convey the use case where the RX (since when does SDR# have more than one RX?) is within the central 30% of the spectrum being
Last I knew there is a plugin tat does this.
displayed (min. freq to max. freq). and there is some 'interesting' activity near one of the edges of the spectrum 'window'.
in SDR# "Sticky Mode", i expected the tuned frequency not to change when i pull the freq scale left or right a bit to see what was being obscured.
i seem to remember this was once the behavior of SDR# back in the pre-r1200 daze.
Still not specific enough. If you have not zoomed in retuning is required to see what is "out there." If you mean when zoomed, that might be a useful feature. But, I simply unzoom briefly to take a look. If you intend to see the portion masked by the SDRSharp settings - set it to 1.0 and be done with it. Then you see everything; and, it is up to you to ignore the aliases that may show up to confuse you. Most anything else I can think of that you might mean requires a retune in order to do it.

in contrast, SDR Console v3 offers a widget overlaying the freq scale which when pulled left or right reveals spectrum otherwise unobserved AND all RXs remain "on frequency".
i am not asking about feature parity. i am attempting to demonstrate with regard to pulling the freq scale around, SDR# Sticky Mode seems redundant (possibly useless).
If that is your thrust - simply don't use that option. Others wanted it.

have i been sufficiently specific this time?
  - 1z (base 37) -
See above. I think I answered for both cases, though.

{^_^}

EB4APL

Thank you Youssef, this is what I wanted for the" sticking tune".

I'll wait patiently until you implement the other goodies.

Thank you again,

Ignacio EB4APL

El 28/08/2019 a las 19:09, prog escribió:
On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 06:06 PM, EB4APL wrote:

Please do it, I would find it very useful.

Check SDR# rev 1714.

And I would suggest another goodie: when moving the LO with the cursor, please also displace the waterfall in order to give continuity to the history.  The new part of the spectrum would be black, of course. SDR Console does it.

Later, later.

Being there, a means to jump the LO a full (or near full) spectrum width, up or down would be appreciated. It is good as a kind of fast visual band scanning. Now I do it dragging the LO from one edge to the other, but something like HDSDR does with an arrow at each spectrum edge is very comfortable.

Regards,

Ignacio, EB4APL

This one was actually planned. You will like the final results.

Libre de virus. www.avast.com

Dave GW4GTE

On the subject of 'other goodies', and not wishing to re-open the S meter futility, I'm wondering if anyone thinks the following would be a good idea (and it it's there already forgive me I've not noticed it):

I'm not aware of any SDR rx (again I may have missed one) where there is a sort of ADC 'S meter' (damn I said it. Let's call it a stress meter instead).

What I mean by that is some sort of scale that shows the user how the incoming RF spectrum is loading up the ADC. Is it 4 bits off overloading or two bits or what?

Why?

- best s/n not necessarily when signals are rattling around the bottom few bits - e.g. the trick in 8 bit SDRs of adding a tone to 'carry' weak stuff on the back of something strong to shift it up the ADC scale.

- If you're playing about with LPF/HPF/BP filters it would be nice to get a handle on just how far off overload you are, then make a decision on what to do. Nicer still would be something that could be automatically set to drop in at certain times e.g say things get a bit lively on 40m at dusk so drop in -10dB only when triggered by the ADC stress meter.

I've got my tin hat on.

Dave

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 12:43 AM, Dave GW4GTE wrote:

I'm not aware of any SDR rx (again I may have missed one) where there is a sort of ADC 'S meter' (damn I said it. Let's call it a stress meter instead).

What I mean by that is some sort of scale that shows the user how the incoming RF spectrum is loading up the ADC. Is it 4 bits off overloading or two bits or what?

That's exactly the dBFS

Dave GW4GTE

ah okay - I hadn't realised that was raw ADC out as it were.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 10:09 AM, prog wrote:
On Wed, Aug 28, 2019 at 06:06 PM, EB4APL wrote:

Please do it, I would find it very useful.

Check SDR# rev 1714.
[...]

bless you, prog!

 - 30 -

prog

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 08:38 AM, kb3cs wrote:
bless you, prog!

 - 30 -
Thank you! Note that in addition to the new added behavior, you can still do the scanning in Sticky mode using the frequency dial or mouse scroll, just as before.

EB4APL

Well, another suggestion: as far as I know, the tuning mode change works in a round robbin fashion but only in a direction. If I want to change from "Sticking" to "Free" I must go through "Center" and this affects the waterfall history. I would like that the change could be made in either direction, for example using the right click for reverse.

Best regards,

Ignacio, EB4APL