Topics

Spyserver windows version

Glenn Blum

Good day to all,

I had set up a older laptop with W10 and the latest version of Spyserver. Easy to set up and works quite well locally. I pulled up the spyserver network map and to my surprise the greatest portion of the spyservers advertised are un reachable. Hence the yellow dots. Mostly because many people are using these servers on a internet provider for home networking without static Ip and DNS. What I am getting at is if this is true then why not Taylor the Spyserver program around the ability to reach the internet without a port forward or paying extra for a static IP address from their provider if it is provided to begin with? I tried myself to set up a static IP and use a DSN but Spectrum does not like that at all. Yes I had given Spyserver permission through windows firewall.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

tippy@...

You need dynamic DNS and some routers like Peplink have this built-in:

The 5 Best Free Dynamic DNS Providers (makeuseof.com)

Glenn Blum

I will give that a try with the DSN

From: airspy@groups.io <airspy@groups.io> on behalf of tippy@... <tippy@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 8:52:30 AM
To: airspy@groups.io <airspy@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [airspy] Spyserver windows version

Glenn Blum

Is there a work around the port forwarding set up for the spy server. Spectrum (Charter) will not allow me to make a port forward with my external IP address. The box to do so is grayed out.

Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 5:02 PM
To: airspy@groups.io

Tom Snyder

Hmm,  I have Spectrum and do port forwarding in my router settings.  Could you be more specific on how you are trying to do the port forwarding.

tom

From: airspy@groups.io <airspy@groups.io> on behalf of Glenn Blum <glennblum@...>
Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 18:04

Is there a work around the port forwarding set up for the spy server. Spectrum (Charter) will not allow me to make a port forward with my external IP address. The box to do so is grayed out.

Glenn Blum

Here is the screen shots.

Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 8:36 PM

Hmm,  I have Spectrum and do port forwarding in my router settings.  Could you be more specific on how you are trying to do the port forwarding.

tom

From: airspy@groups.io <airspy@groups.io> on behalf of Glenn Blum <glennblum@...>

Tom Snyder

My setup is a cable modem from Spectrum and my own personal router which is an ASUS model.  I guess that makes the difference as to why me setup works and yours does not.
tom

Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 20:46

Here is the screen shots.

Sent: Tuesday, January 19, 2021 8:36 PM

tom

tseug

Perhaps a lot of people use a specific service and that was offline? I've never seen the map look as bad as it does in your screenshot.

In my case I just forward a port and make a note if my external (dynamic) IP changes....it has done so three times in the past ten years so I've never seen a need to extra software on the PC

--
------

This signature contains no adverts for other services.
No extraneous URLs here

prog

On Wed, Jan 20, 2021 at 05:36 PM, tseug wrote:
Perhaps a lot of people use a specific service and that was offline? I've never seen the map look as bad as it does in your screenshot.

In my case I just forward a port and make a note if my external (dynamic) IP changes....it has done so three times in the past ten years so I've never seen a need to extra software on the PC
When the Internet weather is bad...

Glenn Blum

Its not allowing me to port forward because Spectrum RAC2V1K modem will not allow me to select my public IP address unless I change my service to Enterprise account and pay extra for a static IP Address. If all the ADSB Pi APPs can pass through data then this should be a easy task.

Glenn

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 10:44 AM

Glenn Blum

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 3:56 PM

Its not allowing me to port forward because Spectrum RAC2V1K modem will not allow me to select my public IP address unless I change my service to Enterprise account and pay extra for a static IP Address. If all the ADSB Pi APPs can pass through data then this should be a easy task.

Glenn

Tom Snyder

Okay I think I understand.  I use: http://www.noip.com , a free account, I have an account name like this: "whatever you want".ddns.net as my URL.  NO-IP runs on my home computer and monitors the IP address I am assigned by Spectrum.  So instead of specifying an IP address (192.168.0.xxx) I enter "whatever you want".ddns.net.

I have about a dozen ports forward using this method without any problems or warnings from Spectrum.

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 14:00

Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2021 3:56 PM

Glenn