Topics

SNR or Peak Logging for Propagation Research #software #plugins

caw5880@...

Hello,

I’m an undergraduate student at Penn State University performing research on ionospheric propagation in the AM broadcast band. I am using the SNR Logger in the community bundle of SDR#, but noticed for AM signals that the SNR appears to be calculated from carrier peaks to the sidebands rather than the actual noise floor. There is a workaround by increasing the receiver bandwidth and only monitoring signals at the edges of the AM band (e.g. 530kHz and 1710kHz).

I would welcome a fix or suggestions on this issue. I’m open to modifying code if there is access to the source and providing it back to the community. A modified plugin that just records the peaks of the carriers instead would also work. The ability to log multiple frequencies at once and schedule start and stop times would also be ideal.

If the author of SNR Logger is on the forum, or if anyone knows the author please advise. All other suggestions are welcome.

Many thanks,
Christian

prog

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 08:16 PM, <caw5880@...> wrote:
noticed for AM signals that the SNR appears to be calculated from carrier peaks to the sidebands rather than the actual noise floor.
The noise floor is evaluated at the edges of the filter. If you widen the filter just enough to cover your signal, you should be fine.