Topics

SNR Logger - Who Is The Author? #sdrsharp #plugin #plugins #app

steve.betza@...

Folks -

Does anyone know the author of the SNR Logger plugin for SDR#?  I would like to partner with them on an enhancement.  Any leads or referrals would be greatly appreciated.  Sincere Thanks!

Steve
KK2CW

Paul Cianciolo

Steve,

I was unaware of this plugin. Thanks for pointing it out.

I downloaded the community plugin and found it…

Do you know where the data goes, the file name?

Sorry for the questions I realize you were looking for answers.

PaulC

W1VLF

Check out my  Youtube Channel W1VLF

From: airspy@groups.io [mailto:airspy@groups.io] On Behalf Of steve.betza@...
Sent: Tuesday, June 30, 2020 11:21 AM
To: airspy@groups.io
Subject: [airspy] SNR Logger - Who Is The Author? #app #plugin #plugins #sdrsharp

Folks -

Does anyone know the author of the SNR Logger plugin for SDR#?  I would like to partner with them on an enhancement.  Any leads or referrals would be greatly appreciated.  Sincere Thanks!

Steve
KK2CW

michaeld

It saves it to the same directory the .dll file is installed, in my case my SDR sharp directory.

SDRSharp_20200630_123758Z_SNR

Directory - Date - Time - _SNR.csv

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:56 AM Paul Cianciolo <paulc@...> wrote:

Steve,

PaulC

W1VLF

Subject: [airspy] SNR Logger - Who Is The Author? #app #plugin #plugins #sdrsharp

Folks -

Does anyone know the author of the SNR Logger plugin for SDR#?  I would like to partner with them on an enhancement.  Any leads or referrals would be greatly appreciated.  Sincere Thanks!

Steve
KK2CW

Edward MacDonald

I don't know who made the logger plugin, but I am releasing a plugin in the next week or so that will provide a scrolling graph set for SNR, IF power, RF power and some more. There are other features as well. If you need help I would offer mine 

On Tue., Jun. 30, 2020, 1:55 p.m. michaeld, <mike.wizard@...> wrote:
It saves it to the same directory the .dll file is installed, in my case my SDR sharp directory.

SDRSharp_20200630_123758Z_SNR

Directory - Date - Time - _SNR.csv

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 10:56 AM Paul Cianciolo <paulc@...> wrote:

Steve,

PaulC

W1VLF

Folks -

Does anyone know the author of the SNR Logger plugin for SDR#?  I would like to partner with them on an enhancement.  Any leads or referrals would be greatly appreciated.  Sincere Thanks!

Steve
KK2CW

prog

I made that plugin for a friend who monitors the waves. You may already know him: @LondonShortwave
A new graphical version is most welcome!

steve.betza@...

Prog -

Thanks for the info.  I just replied to Edward with my specific needs.  Does your plugin address these?  If yes, please advise.  Sincere thanks...

Steve
KK2CW

steve.betza@...

Edward -

Thanks for the reply, and congrats on your forthcoming plugin!   I am currently mentoring a summer research intern at Penn State, and am looking for a logger that is more “AM friendly” for both broadcast stations and long wave  beacons than the current SNR logger.

Ideally, this version would output the “Peak” (i.e. the center frequency carrier signal strength), and the “Noise Floor” (measured at the bandwidth edges) to the csv file.. in addition to the ”SNR” calculation of the difference that the current logger provides.  Basically, this is THE SAME INFO that appears in SDR# when you mouse over the station you are currently receiving... instead of just the SNR.   Would like to preserve the current slider that allows a variable logging rate from milliseconds to minutes... and a manual enable to start/stop a log is fine.

The beauty of this is that a user/researcher can separate the rise and fall of Peak signal strength from the variability of the noise floor (think summertime static and thunderstorm QRN).  SNR alone combines/blurs these two variables into one metric.

This seems pretty straightforward for an experienced plugin author.  However, without the current SNR Logger source code, I cannot turn my student loose to experiment on a modification.

What will your logger provide?  Could these features be easily incorporated?  Please advise on this... or if you have additional questions on the need.  Sincere thanks...

Steve
KK2CW

Zacharias Liangas

If anyone has carried out this  project I am very much interested to check it and compare it with the SDR console one 
I m an avid user of sdrc for shortwave signals and analysis
Thx in advance

Jim Talens

Hi Edward!  Your work on this is much appreciated.  I am trying to set up my SDR dongle (RTL) to provide real RF signal strength data when polled.  Maybe that's not possible and only relative audio strength can be reported.  The purpose is to provide a data input to another application that tracks power line noise (in conjunction with GPS coordinates).  I have succeeded in using com0com and Tera Term to see that I can get a single frequency readout from the SDR dongle.  That was nice and took a while to figure out!  But if you can come up with a plugin that will report signal strength it would be fantastic.

Why I get a single response to "FA;" is not clear. I've changed parameters everywhere and cannot change it.  Maybe it's part of CalicoCat?

Thanks

Jim Talens, N3JT