Topics

SDR# Shortcuts?

Tudor Vedeanu

How hard would it be to implement some keyboard shortcuts in SDR#? Like pressing letters to change the mode (A = AM, U= USB, L=LSB, F=FM...)? Or pressing < and > to decrease/increase the tuning step? I play with my SDRs outdoors on a small laptop/tablet and it's inefficient to use the trackpad for everything. For example, sometimes I hear a voice transmission burst on a frequency and I miss it just because it takes a second to switch from AM to USB.

~Tudor

prog

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 09:30 AM, Tudor Vedeanu wrote:

How hard would it be to implement some keyboard shortcuts in SDR#? Like pressing letters to change the mode (A = AM, U= USB, L=LSB, F=FM...)? Or pressing < and > to decrease/increase the tuning step? I play with my SDRs outdoors on a small laptop/tablet and it's inefficient to use the trackpad for everything. For example, sometimes I hear a voice transmission burst on a frequency and I miss it just because it takes a second to switch from AM to USB.

~Tudor

It's easy via plugins. The internal interface allows full control of the main settings and can also intercept keyboard and mouse messages.
Any volunteer?

Martin Smith

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 08:30 AM, Tudor Vedeanu wrote:
For example, sometimes I hear a voice transmission burst on a frequency and I miss it just because it takes a second to switch from AM to
There is also a plugin that exists now called "Time shift", that has a temporary buffer, so that you change your modulation and then jump back in time to when the signal was still there (how far back depends on how much RAM is in your computer and how much you allocate)
http://rtl-sdr.ru/page/vse-dostupnye-na-etom-sajte-plaginy-s-kratkim-opisaniem

Mitch

I do this as part of the UI construction.  Most visual construction tools make a hot key out of a key sequence right in their object definition.

On Sep 3, 2019, at 03:37, prog <info@...> wrote:
On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 09:30 AM, Tudor Vedeanu wrote:

How hard would it be to implement some keyboard shortcuts in SDR#? Like pressing letters to change the mode (A = AM, U= USB, L=LSB, F=FM...)? Or pressing < and > to decrease/increase the tuning step? I play with my SDRs outdoors on a small laptop/tablet and it's inefficient to use the trackpad for everything. For example, sometimes I hear a voice transmission burst on a frequency and I miss it just because it takes a second to switch from AM to USB.

~Tudor

It's easy via plugins. The internal interface allows full control of the main settings and can also intercept keyboard and mouse messages.
Any volunteer?

Edward MacDonald

I have a made something that I used to do exactly this when I was designing the shuttle plugin. I used key strokes to trigger the controls on sdr# to make sure my control code was working properly before mapping the shuttle controls to the functions.

I could easily adapt it to be used to be used as a shortcut plugin if you want.

I used an XML file to store / load the key assignments so I could easily transport them to various sdr# version itterations for testing.

prog

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 01:16 PM, Mitch wrote:
I do this as part of the UI construction.  Most visual construction tools make a hot key out of a key sequence right in their object definition.
SDR# has a more sophisticated composite UI and DSP architecture with an actual API to access every functionality. The correct way of adding new behavior is to add plugins that leverage the API rather than hard-coding everything.

kb3cs

please do!

may we begin with M for Mute and Spacebar for Start/Stop ?

 - 0x49 -

Tudor Vedeanu

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 02:16 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:

I could easily adapt it to be used to be used as a shortcut plugin if you want.

That would be awesome!

Thank you, Tudor

Edward MacDonald

Since all keyboards are not the same language, my original intent was to allow the individual user to dynamically map the key / key combinations. (Similar to mapping the shuttle plugin functions).

This has the benefit of allowing any keyboard locale to utilize the plugin and to only create shortcuts they want.

If this behavoir seems Ok with you as users then I will continue on with the line of logic.  If not also let me know and I will hard code key values to short cuts.

I will start working on it after work tonight.

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019, 8:49 AM Tudor Vedeanu, <tmvedeanu@...> wrote:

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 02:16 PM, Edward MacDonald wrote:

I could easily adapt it to be used to be used as a shortcut plugin if you want.

That would be awesome!

Thank you, Tudor

Alan G4ZFQ

If this behavoir seems Ok with you as users then I will continue on with the line of logic.  If not also let me know and I will hard code key values to short cuts.
Edward,

HDSDR has a range of shortcuts, enough for it to be controlled by a blind person.
I wonder, if you do hard code, is it worth considering making the shortcuts match as much as possible?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Mike Millen

If the mappings are stored in a file, then a set matching the HDSDR could be loaded easily.
The programmable aspect (essential, IMO) can be retained.

Mike - M0MLM

On 04/09/2019 06:41, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
If this behavoir seems Ok with you as users then I will continue on with the line of logic.  If not also let me know and I will hard code key values to short cuts.
Edward,

HDSDR has a range of shortcuts, enough for it to be controlled by a blind person.
I wonder, if you do hard code, is it worth considering making the shortcuts match as much as possible?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

jdow

If you go that far fix it to allow multiple commands per key press. That way almost anything can be emulated.

{^_^}

On 20190903 23:12:10, Mike Millen wrote:
If the mappings are stored in a file, then a set matching the HDSDR could be loaded easily.
The programmable aspect (essential, IMO) can be retained.
Mike - M0MLM
On 04/09/2019 06:41, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
If this behavoir seems Ok with you as users then I will continue on with the line of logic.  If not also let me know and I will hard code key values to short cuts.
Edward,

HDSDR has a range of shortcuts, enough for it to be controlled by a blind person.
I wonder, if you do hard code, is it worth considering making the shortcuts match as much as possible?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Siegfried Jackstien

... and if you edit the ir mapping table from the infrared control of the rtl dongle you can control several function in sdrsharp ... from that infrared control ... together with the software autohotkey you can make many diffrent things with those key functions (but its a bit tricky to get all things working right)

the infrared remote sends a command to rtl ... ir mapping table converts that to a keystroke ... and autohotkey then in the end converts that to a command to sdrsharp ... (as you can see in that row its not easy to get all things running correct)

dale wb8cjw made a bit of work on it in 2013 ... dont know if that still works ... but its an idea to make the infrared control of the rtl dongle usable as remote for sdrsharp (or also to do other things in windows via the ir remote)

greetz sigi dg9bfc

Am 04.09.2019 um 06:46 schrieb jdow:

If you go that far fix it to allow multiple commands per key press. That way almost anything can be emulated.

{^_^}

On 20190903 23:12:10, Mike Millen wrote:
If the mappings are stored in a file, then a set matching the HDSDR could be loaded easily.
The programmable aspect (essential, IMO) can be retained.

Mike - M0MLM

On 04/09/2019 06:41, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
If this behavoir seems Ok with you as users then I will continue on with the line of logic.  If not also let me know and I will hard code key values to short cuts.
Edward,

HDSDR has a range of shortcuts, enough for it to be controlled by a blind person.
I wonder, if you do hard code, is it worth considering making the shortcuts match as much as possible?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

kb3cs

okay, then .. let me rephrase.
for the "en_US" language, may the first two default mappings be 'm' for mute and 'spacebar' for Start/Stop?

  - 0x49 -