Topics

SDR# Remote Desktop Connection freeze

Jon Beniston

Hi,

I’m using SDR# rev 1732 with no extra plugins on Windows 10 with an AIRSPY HF Discovery. With a sample rate of 768ksps or 384ksps, I can use Remote Desktop Connection to the PC that is running SDR# and it seems to work ok.

However, if I change the sample rate to 256kps or lower, if after re-connecting with Remote Desktop Connection, I press the Stop button in the SDR#, SDR# freezes indefinitely.

Sometimes SDR# will freeze after connecting via RDC, even if I don’t press the Stop button, or sometimes after disconnecting – but that seems to be a bit more random. The above happens every time (768k is fine, 128k always crashes after ~20 tries).

Cheers,

Jon

Jukka / OH2BUA

Hi Jon,

your findings sound somehow familiar to me.

I'm a committed RDP user. I'm writing this right now over a 9 000 kilometers RDP link. Why not over Teamviewer or Anydesk?. For sure you know, ol' man.

Please check if your findings are possibly not more related into the weird audio device disappear/reappear-thing when disconnecting/reconnecting an RDP session? Those problem was launched in a 'quality update' by MS in fall 2018 to Win10 and WinSrv16, and not fixed yet, and hardly ever be.

Usually that can be workarounded by setting SDR# to STOP before disconnecting, and then PLAY again after reconnecting.

I recommend to know RemAud software by DF3CB. It can ease out with audio matters in some complicated remote configurations.

73, Jukka

Jon Beniston

Hi Jukka,

> Please check if your findings are possibly not more related into the weird audio device
> disappear/reappear-thing when disconnecting/reconnecting an RDP session?

I have my settings to play audio on remote computer, so that RDC shouldn’t change the audio devices when connecting / disconnecting. Also, If this was the problem, I wouldn’t expect the sample rate to make any difference as to whether it works or not?

>Usually that can be workarounded by setting SDR# to STOP before disconnecting, and then PLAY again after reconnecting.

In my case, I want audio to continue after disconnecting, as I have some demodulators that I’d like to carry on running even when I’m not connected.

>I recommend to know RemAud software by DF3CB. It can ease out with audio matters in some complicated remote configurations.

I’ll take a look, thanks.

Cheers,

Jon

Jukka / OH2BUA

> I have my settings to play audio on remote computer, so that RDC shouldn’t change the audio devices when connecting / disconnecting.

But it really does that, even how weird it sounds. At the moment of RDP disconnection, that host session (not the whole system) loses it's audio devices for just a very short moment. Even with 'play on remote'. They will appear back in a second.

> Also, If this was the problem, I wouldn’t expect the sample rate to make any difference as to whether it works or not?

You are right. I have experienced that with all sample rates (and all 'playing' software). I'll make further tests.

(I assume that we are talking about the same thing as RDC/RDP: Microsoft Remote Desktop, know also as Terminal Services at the host side and MSTSC.EXE as a client.)

73, Jukka