Topics

SDR# dotnet 5 Pre-release #announcements

prog

Edited

Hello folks,

This will be a long email with many levels of technicality, if you just want to try new cool experimental software, jump to the end.
So, here we are. We did the big jump to .NET 5 in our perpetual quest of improvement and refinement. This isn't a simple code recompilation effort and thus implies a lot of changes, some are superficial, some are breaking. This move is to secure the development of SDR# for the upcoming OS and Runtime updates for Windows, and will probably open a window for further portability across multiple CPU architectures and operating systems - something everybody was asking for since ages. No promises, but we're heading there. Check the full Microsoft announcement here.
From the outside, the new SDR# package can be used just as before with the usual configuration files, Band Plan and Plugin extensions, etc. Internally, the code is now pre-compiled and linked ahead of time in a single big executable, shortening a long startup sequence of loading the different assemblies (DLLs,) compiling them and linking the generated code as it is used. The plugins can still be loaded dynamically, but instead of referencing the old high level SDR# DSP Framework, the code will be linked to LLVM generated, CPU specific machine code, thus improving the performance even further.
I believe the code compatibility and the behavior of the runtime are good enough in .net 5, but given the number of changes, there might be some glitches and rough edges. That's why this branch will be tagged as pre-release until everything is running in a satisfactory way.

SDR# dotnet 5 Pre-release: https://airspy.com/downloads/sdrsharp-x86-dotnet5.zip

dotnet 5 Windows Desktop Runtime: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-5.0.2-windows-x86-installer

Enjoy!

The Airspy folks

Dr.Thamminana KR

Thanks @prog for great news 👍👍👍

On Thu, 28 Jan, 2021, 12:12 am prog, <info@...> wrote:
Hello folks,

This will be a long email with many levels of technicality, if you just want to try new cool experimental software, jump to the end.
So, here we are. We did the big jump to .NET 5 in our perpetual quest of improvement and refinement. This isn't a simple code recompilation effort and thus implies a lot of changes, some are superficial, some are breaking. This move is to secure the development of SDR# for the upcoming OS and Runtime updates for Windows, and will probably open a window for further portability across multiple CPU architectures and operating systems - something everybody was asking for since ages. No promises, but we're heading there. Check the full Microsoft announcement here.
From the outside, the new SDR# package can be used just as before with the usual configuration files, Band Plan and Plugin extensions, etc. Internally, the code is now pre-compiled and linked ahead of time in a single big executable, shortening a long startup sequence of loading the different assemblies (DLLs,) compiling them and linking the generated code as it is used. The plugins can still be loaded dynamically, but instead of referencing the old high level SDR# DSP Framework, the code will be linked to LLVM generated, CPU specific machine code, thus improving the performance even further.
I believe the code compatibility and the behavior of the runtime are good enough in .net 5, but given the number of changes, there might be some glitches and rough edges. That's why this branch will be tagged as pre-release until everything is running in a satisfactory way.

SDR# dotnet 5 Pre-release: https://airspy.com/downloads/sdrsharp-x86-dotnet5.zip

dotnet 5 Runtime: https://download.visualstudio.microsoft.com/download/pr/6fbee1fb-1fe5-40c8-b3e1-56988de60eb4/9c5b8606ebd7724b67f994adaf3ff574/dotnet-sdk-5.0.102-win-x86.exe

Enjoy!

The Airspy folks

Shirley Dulcey KE1L

If you don't run that .NET installer, Windows will pop up a window asking you to install .NET when you try to run SDR#. You must install the 32 bit version even if you are running 64 bit Windows because SDR# is a 32 bit application.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 2:03 PM prog <info@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Hello folks,

This will be a long email with many levels of technicality, if you just want to try new cool experimental software, jump to the end.
So, here we are. We did the big jump to .NET 5 in our perpetual quest of improvement and refinement. This isn't a simple code recompilation effort and thus implies a lot of changes, some are superficial, some are breaking. This move is to secure the development of SDR# for the upcoming OS and Runtime updates for Windows, and will probably open a window for further portability across multiple CPU architectures and operating systems - something everybody was asking for since ages. No promises, but we're heading there. Check the full Microsoft announcement here.
From the outside, the new SDR# package can be used just as before with the usual configuration files, Band Plan and Plugin extensions, etc. Internally, the code is now pre-compiled and linked ahead of time in a single big executable, shortening a long startup sequence of loading the different assemblies (DLLs,) compiling them and linking the generated code as it is used. The plugins can still be loaded dynamically, but instead of referencing the old high level SDR# DSP Framework, the code will be linked to LLVM generated, CPU specific machine code, thus improving the performance even further.
I believe the code compatibility and the behavior of the runtime are good enough in .net 5, but given the number of changes, there might be some glitches and rough edges. That's why this branch will be tagged as pre-release until everything is running in a satisfactory way.

SDR# dotnet 5 Pre-release: https://airspy.com/downloads/sdrsharp-x86-dotnet5.zip

dotnet 5 Windows Desktop Runtime: https://dotnet.microsoft.com/download/dotnet/thank-you/runtime-desktop-5.0.2-windows-x86-installer

Enjoy!

The Airspy folks

G Davidson

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 06:42 PM, prog wrote:
Hello folks,

This will be a long email with many levels of technicality, if you just want to try new cool experimental software, jump to the end.
So, here we are. We did the big jump to .NET 5 in our perpetual quest of improvement and refinement. This isn't a simple code recompilation effort and thus implies a lot of changes, some are superficial, some are breaking.
Thanks Prog!

Installed within minutes of your tweet and have even managed to restore most of the plugins I had in 1784. Only two caused catastrophic failure - ScytaleC and the Accessibility Plugin but once removed, things are looking okay!

The renaming of the sdrsharp.exe.config to sdrsharp.config file had me scratching my head for a while whilst I edited the wrong file way too often before it dawned on me :)

Looks good so far!

--
Graeme

prog

Dr.Thamminana KR

I tested just now... Working well thanks lot❤️👍👍👍

On Thu, 28 Jan, 2021, 1:12 am prog, <info@...> wrote:
More on this wonderful technology: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/ready-to-run

Bob Dengler

At 1/27/2021 10:42 AM, you wrote:
Hello folks,

This will be a long email with many levels of technicality, if you just want to try new cool experimental software, jump to the end.
Docking icons don't appear in Windows 7 theme, so if I want to move things around without having the windows stuck in floating mode I have to change themes. Other than that it works great; thanks!

Bob NO6B

prog

On Wed, Jan 27, 2021 at 09:38 PM, Bob Dengler wrote:
Docking icons don't appear in Windows 7 theme, so if I want to move things around without having the windows stuck in floating mode I have to change themes. Other than that it works great; thanks!

Bob NO6B

Loading the themes dynamically always had these glitches (inherited from the UI framework). Starting the app with the right theme doesn't exhibit this behavior.
Maybe some workaround will be developed later.

and I see it can be used with linux64, wahoo baby...

regards,
walter
Walter Shawlee 2
Sphere Research Corp. 3394 Sunnyside Rd.
West Kelowna, BC, V1Z 2V4 CANADA
Phone: +1 (250-769-1834 -:- http://www.sphere.bc.ca
+We're all in one boat, no matter how it looks to you. (WS2)
+All you need is love. (John Lennon)
+But, that doesn't mean other things don't come in handy. (WS2)
+Nature is trying very hard to make us succeed, but nature does not depend on us.
We are not the only experiment. (R. Buckminster Fuller)
On 1/27/21 11:41 AM, prog wrote:

Glenn Blum

Speaking of Linux, what is good program to use my R2 and up converter in Ubuntu 20.04 LTS. I set up my I7 computer for dual boot from a second SDD for Ubuntu. I think I gqrx and I know I have SDR Cube installed but I I think there isn’t support for Airspy in SDR Cube.

Thanks.

Glenn Blum

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 1/27/21 11:41 AM, prog wrote:

More on this wonderful technology: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/core/deploying/ready-to-run

BryonB

Sounds great prog!

Any worries/caveats for those of us who may be running AMD CPUs?

I'm looking forward to trying this out as soon as I "get home" from work.

--
--Bryon, NF6M

prog

On Thu, Jan 28, 2021 at 01:59 AM, BryonB wrote:
Any worries/caveats for those of us who may be running AMD CPUs?
None. This package was built using the standard Microsoft tools.

Juan - EA5XQ

Hi

I have tried to install the new pre.release in W10. I have installed (as required) .NET 5.0.2 but when I try to start the app it is complaining that there is not .NET installed and asks me if I want to installed.

Is there anything else to be installed? thanks
--
AirSpy Hf+ Discovery
MLA 30+

prog

Use the links in the mail.

Juan - EA5XQ

that’s what I did ...
--
AirSpy Hf+ Discovery
MLA 30+

Patrick

Hola Juan

Be sure to download the x86 version

Le jeu. 28 janv. 2021 à 10:57, Juan - EA5XQ <juan@...> a écrit :
that’s what I did ...
--
AirSpy Hf+ Discovery
MLA 30+

Juan - EA5XQ

Yes, that was the point ... sorry for that. I downloaded 5.0.2 but for 64 ... not X86, thanks @patrick,... now it works, sorry for the confussion.

--
AirSpy Hf+ Discovery
MLA 30+

Jos Stevens

Hello,

My system is Windowsa 10 64Bit.

I installed SDR# dotnet, no problem.

When I start the program it asks for .NET5, so I downloaded "Microsoft Desktop Runtime(x86)   from Microsoft (3 times).

Each time I try to install it,   it reports "Installation failed , 0x80070570 Bastand of Map is beschadigd en onleesbaar"

Any ideas ??

Thanks in advance,

Jos

Mike Millen

Did you install the 32 bit version?
(You must)

Mike - M0MLM

When I start the program it asks for .NET5, so I downloaded "Microsoft Desktop Runtime(x86)   from Microsoft (3 times).

Each time I try to install it,   it reports "Installation failed , 0x80070570 Bastand of Map is beschadigd en onleesbaar"

Any ideas ??

Thanks in advance,

Jos

Jos Stevens