Topics

Plane on GND City Street ???

Nicoll Tipet

This can't be. I noticed this 'aircraft' near my neighborhood at GND altitude as per Virtual Radar Server. Now what is this?
It parked for a while at an Hospital location. Could some Ambulance have an ADS_B transponder?
Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation and left activated?
CALLSIGN is SUR8508 and ICAO is C1E552.
I am new to this, so please enlighten me.

Tks.

BryonB

Helicopter maybe?

On Sat, 2 Nov 2019 2:06 pm Nicoll Tipet, <Bernardnicoll56@...> wrote:
This can't be. I noticed this 'aircraft' near my neighborhood at GND altitude as per Virtual Radar Server. Now what is this?
It parked for a while at an Hospital location. Could some Ambulance have an ADS_B transponder?
Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation and left activated?
CALLSIGN is SUR8508 and ICAO is C1E552.
I am new to this, so please enlighten me.

Tks.

Attachments:

Dick

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 10:06 PM, Nicoll Tipet wrote:

Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation
and left activated?
This indeed does happen.
I once saw a "ground service unit" from EHAM driving home :-)

Cheers,
Dick

David Matthews

Possibly an air ambulance/helicopter?

Dave
W2IJL

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019 at 5:06 PM Nicoll Tipet <Bernardnicoll56@...> wrote:
This can't be. I noticed this 'aircraft' near my neighborhood at GND altitude as per Virtual Radar Server. Now what is this?
It parked for a while at an Hospital location. Could some Ambulance have an ADS_B transponder?
Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation and left activated?
CALLSIGN is SUR8508 and ICAO is C1E552.
I am new to this, so please enlighten me.

Tks.

Bryan Herbert

It looks to be on city streets, likely an airport grounds vehicle equipped with ADS-B.

On Saturday, November 2, 2019, Nicoll Tipet <Bernardnicoll56@...> wrote:
This can't be. I noticed this 'aircraft' near my neighborhood at GND altitude as per Virtual Radar Server. Now what is this?
It parked for a while at an Hospital location. Could some Ambulance have an ADS_B transponder?
Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation and left activated?
CALLSIGN is SUR8508 and ICAO is C1E552.
I am new to this, so please enlighten me.

Tks.

Dewey

Maybe it is some type of handheld ADS-B.  According to FlightAware, the last track (all of the tracks) are in fact in Canada, but notice that the “Aircraft Information” section on the right side is blank.  That section is normally populated with aircraft type: https://flightaware.com/live/flight/SUR8508.  Just thinking out loud, could it be a handheld ADS-B transponder that someone would use in a glider (since it is registered to a flying club) and that person ended up going to the hospital????

Dewey

This can't be. I noticed this 'aircraft' near my neighborhood at GND altitude as per Virtual Radar Server. Now what is this?
It parked for a while at an Hospital location. Could some Ambulance have an ADS_B transponder?
Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation and left activated?
CALLSIGN is SUR8508 and ICAO is C1E552.
I am new to this, so please enlighten me.

Tks.

Dale Elshoff WB8CJW

Hospital?  Perhaps a MedFlight helicopter using ADS-B?

Dale, WB8CJW

On 11/2/2019 4:11 PM, Nicoll Tipet wrote:
This can't be. I noticed this 'aircraft' near my neighborhood at GND altitude as per Virtual Radar Server. Now what is this?
It parked for a while at an Hospital location. Could some Ambulance have an ADS_B transponder?
Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation and left activated?
CALLSIGN is SUR8508 and ICAO is C1E552.
I am new to this, so please enlighten me.

Tks.

Edward MacDonald

Perhaps a life flight helicopter?

On Sat, Nov 2, 2019, 3:06 PM Nicoll Tipet, <Bernardnicoll56@...> wrote:
This can't be. I noticed this 'aircraft' near my neighborhood at GND altitude as per Virtual Radar Server. Now what is this?
It parked for a while at an Hospital location. Could some Ambulance have an ADS_B transponder?
Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation and left activated?
CALLSIGN is SUR8508 and ICAO is C1E552.
I am new to this, so please enlighten me.

Tks.

Attachments:

MadMike

It is obviously a surface vehicle, it's callsign is SUR8508 so I would expect it is an airport surface car being driven home for a quick lunch?

Regards, Mike Simpson
South Penrith, NSW, Australia

Dewey

My first thought was a helicopter, but at ground level and following streets exactly, even when they go in a direction away from the destination?

Dewey

Hospital?  Perhaps a MedFlight helicopter using ADS-B?

Dale, WB8CJW

On 11/2/2019 4:11 PM, Nicoll Tipet wrote:

This can't be. I noticed this 'aircraft' near my neighborhood at GND altitude as per Virtual Radar Server. Now what is this?
It parked for a while at an Hospital location. Could some Ambulance have an ADS_B transponder?
Could a Transponders device be on board a mobile vehicle during transportation and left activated?
CALLSIGN is SUR8508 and ICAO is C1E552.
I am new to this, so please enlighten me.

Tks.

Nick B.

It is quite common these days for large airports to fit mode S transponders to vehicles for monitoring their positions, as well as aircraft on the ground for safety reasons. A local-area mulitlateration system or other mode S interrogator will display this information for the ATC Ground Movement Controller.

There are also static test targets for calibration of these systems that appear in strange places or get mis-identified by sites such as FR24. :)