Topics

locked sticky No SDR# User Manual... Really!! #sdrsharp #airspyhfplus

Bruce, N9WKE <Bruce@...>

I have an Airspy HF+ that I enjoy using very much. It's a great radio!!

I decided to try SDR#. Loaded it on my Windows 10 box, looks like a nice application with a lot of ways to tweak and adjust it. I started digging into it and decided I needed to read the User's Manual and learn as much as possible about a seemingly great piece of software.

Started looking for a manual and discovered that apparently there isn't one... !!!???!!! What's up with that!!!

I apologize if there is a User's Manual and I just haven't found it yet, but I emailed my distributor asking them for a manual and they said the only documentation available for SDR# was on the Airspy.com site. I've been all over the airspy.com site and haven't found a user's manual for SDR#. If there is a manual available would someone kindly point me toward it?

If there isn't a manual... WHY NOT??

It's ridiculous that I have to go to a forum to get information message-by-message about how to use a piece of software.

Mike Tindor

Sounds like a case of "you get what you pay for."    Pretty sure you paid zero for SDRSharp.    Awesome application.   Works great with all sorts of devices.  Never once have I felt the need to actually consult a users' manual of any sort when operating SDR#.   It's pretty intuitive.

Mike

David Eckhardt

So......there is no manual.....  There are plenty of online tutorials.  I never suffered the lack of a manual and I'm on AirSpy #3 using predominately SDR# and just purchased the HF+.   I use them all with a number of other compatible SW applications as well.  I never felt wanting for a manual.   Experience is the best teacher.  Dig in.  If you need, consult any of the number of online guides.

Dave - WØLEV

--
Dave - WØLEV
Just Let Darwin Work

Alan G4ZFQ

If there isn't a manual... WHY NOT??
Bruce,

As others have said, play with it and you find out.
If you should mess it up (unlikely) just delete and reinstall.

But... as it is now really the only software that the HF+ works properly with then maybe a link to some sort of beginner's guide should at least be provided?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

William Jackson

On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎December‎ ‎11‎, ‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎16‎:‎45‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EST, Bruce, N9WKE <Bruce@...> wrote:

[...]

harry

If you have not done this, try googling "SDR Sharp Tutorials" and "SDR Sharp Manual".  Then re-google using "#" in place of "Sharp".  Also try variations on "SDR software for Airspy HF+".  There are a number of "hits" that may be helpful though they are a bit dated.  There are even some early and incomplete attempts at SDR# manuals and guides.  You may actually come up with enough bits and pieces to create a useful document.

Another approach is to look for and try other SDR software that comes with documentation.

On 12/11/2018 12:00 PM, William Jackson via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

Bruce Pea <bruce@...>

Dave,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments, they are much appreciated.

Bruce

On Tue, Dec 11, 2018 at 10:34 AM David Eckhardt <davearea51a@...> wrote:
[...]

Alan,

Thank you for your note. Agreed, some link would be very helpful and appreciated. If I come across any good ones I'll post them here for others.

Thanks,
Bruce

Bruce, N9WKE <Bruce@...>

William,

Super!! This is great, thank you!!

Bruce

Bruce, N9WKE <Bruce@...>

Hi Harry,

Thank you for your helpful reply!

I'll see what I come up with, thanks again.

Bruce

John Dusek

For a great introduction to SDR# and basic setup to get up and going, the Amazon ebook publication "The Hobbyist's Guide to the RTL-SDR" has a great set of chapters on getting the RTL-SDR dongle up and running under SDR#, it is largely (but not totally) transferrable to the Airspy.

I am not connected to Amazon, the RTL-SDR, or the authors, but that's another place you can look, and the book is free to view under Kindle Unlimited if you already have that subscription.

Then the Airspy documentation on SDR# configuration items unique to the Airspy might make more sense.

jdow

On 2018-12-11 09:00, William Jackson via Groups.Io wrote:
http://www.atouk.com/SDRSharpQuickStart.html**//___^
On ‎Tuesday‎, ‎December‎ ‎11‎, ‎2018‎ ‎11‎:‎16‎:‎45‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EST, Bruce, N9WKE <@bpea> wrote:
[...]
Do I hear you volunteering to experiment, learn details, and write the manual?

{^_-}

Edward MacDonald

Leif Asbrink

Hi All,

The HF+ works properly with SDR# (of course) but it also
works properly with Linrad. It probably also works properly
with SDR Radio and maybe a couple of other SDR packages.

Writing a manual for an SDR package that can be used with
dozens of different hardware is a major undertaking. For
every specific hardware combination - SDR hardware, computer OS
(XP, Win7, Win 8, Win8.1, Win 10, Linux, PC-BSD, Free-BSD...)
as well as platform 32 bit x86, 64 bit x86, ARM of different
kinds etc some things are different. A manual covering
everything is impossible - What we do as developers is to try to
provide tools that could help users analyze problems they
might run into.

Soundcards for output (and possibly input) is a horrible story.
There is no way to make an updated manual with proper work-arounds
for all the bugs in the drive routines for all the soundcards.
If there is a problem, search the Internet to see if someone else
had the same problem - if not, post a question to the relevant
mailing list.

An SDR system might be used for a large number of purposes.
No way that a manual could cover them all.

Rather than a specific manual for each specific SDR package
there is a need for a good text book on fundamentals of radio
and SDR covering things like time resolution vs frequency resolution,
dynamic range, Fourier transforms, computer sound systems,
various ways ti interface to a PC: USB(with all its problems)
PCI, PCIe, Ethernet,...

The whole thind about SDR is VERY complicated. Luckily something
99% of users will find that everything works fine automagically:-)

If there isn't a manual... WHY NOT??
I hope the above would give a hint.

You have access to this mailing list. If you spend more than
10 minutes trying to achieve something with the SDR# and HF+
combination I suggest you spend another 10 minutes to describe your
problem verbosely so others actually can understand.

In case you decide to switch to Linrad, any problem you might
describe on the Linrad mailing list is likely to cause changes
in Linrad to prevent others from running into the same problem.
(That would be by making error and help messages more verbose
with your particular problem in mind.)

73

Leif

Bruce,

As others have said, play with it and you find out.
If you should mess it up (unlikely) just delete and reinstall.

But... as it is now really the only software that the HF+ works properly
with then maybe a link to some sort of beginner's guide should at least
be provided?

73 Alan G4ZFQ

Bruce, N9WKE <Bruce@...>

Leif,

Thank you for your thoughtful comments and helpful suggestions, they are very much appreciated.

I understand the difficulty or impossibility of writing a comprehensive manual that would cover all combinations of hardware, operating systems, etc. as you describe in your reply. The source of my frustration was I managed to change a setting while exploring your application for the first time and was unable to change it back. I'm pretty certain undoing whatever I had done was a trivial fix if I were more familiar with the application, but the software was not as intuitive for me as a first time user as others have suggested it is. After trying unsuccessfully for a while to figure it out I decided to read the manual...

What I was hoping to find was a simple user's guide describing and explaining in simple terms what each feature was and how to operate it (i.e., hold this key down and move your mouse this way). Don't need anything comprehensive or in depth, just something showing the basics of how the application works. I appreciate, as many others have already suggested, that there are numerous tutorials and other helpful information available on the web. Right now I don't have time to search the web, parse the results, chase down websites that might solve my problem, or spend hours watching Youtube videos that may or may not be useful. It would really be helpful if there was an easy-to-find document available on the Airspy website that explained the simple basics of how to use SDR# for a first time user.

My HF+ is a great radio. SDR# appears to be an amazing app. I'm not looking to butt heads, but I am trying to provide sincere first-time user feedback I hope you will find helpful and useful.

Alan G4ZFQ

My HF+ is a great radio. SDR# appears to be an amazing app. I'm not looking to butt heads, but I am trying to provide sincere first-time user feedback I hope you will find helpful and useful.
I agree, people forget there are absolute beginners out there.
Some years back I did a page with some SDR# basics, https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer I note the other site you have been pointed to is even older although it shows more detail than mine.
I did some pages for other software as well but Linrad I never did find intuitive. It seems a fine tool for measurements but perhaps not for the casual user.
I'm not a power-user of SDR#, just use it simply with my HF+.

Alan

Tom Snyder

A thought:  Those that have put together some pages, notes, or whatever could start a Wiki page.  Then this community could add, correct, as needed and as new information come to light.

Having a central depository of information works to everyone's advantage.

tom

> My HF+ is a great radio. SDR# appears to be an amazing app. I'm not
> looking to butt heads, but I am trying to provide sincere first-time
> user feedback I hope you will find helpful and useful.

I agree, people forget there are absolute beginners out there.
Some years back I did a page with some SDR# basics,
https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/connecting-soundcard-sdr-to-computer
I note the other site you have been pointed to is even older although it
shows more detail than mine.
I did some pages for other software as well but Linrad I never did find
intuitive. It seems a fine tool for measurements but perhaps not for the
casual user.
I'm not a power-user of SDR#, just use it simply with my HF+.

Alan

prog

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 07:28 PM, Alan G4ZFQ wrote:
I agree, people forget there are absolute beginners out there.
Some people are just better at explaining as others are better at doing. The "systemic anomaly" here is that people who know, prefer experimenting, having fun, never look back, and leave people who don't know in the dark ages. Here's a typical example. The case looks so desperate that no one even attempted to explain anything. I just wonder how much time it will take for a late arriver to establish how SDRs work and how to make sense of all the parameters involved in SDR performance.

As Leif said, do your homework and learn the fundamentals, then everything will look very simple.

Leif Asbrink

Hi All,

This example:
https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/44413
really points to an important aspect. When writing a
manual it should be written with respect to what the user
wants to use his radio for.

We can trade dynamic range for bandwidth or we can pay much
more money to have both at the same time. All of that can be
done within SDR#, Linrad, SDR Radio and other software.
Just use it with the appropriate hardware.

The need is not a manual for a specific software, but a
general tutorial about modern radio. Not only SDRs, the
same problems are present in analog radio - although
maybe a little bit hidden. A wide open front end is cheaper
but has dynamic range problems....

Radio fundamentals do not depend on whether one uses an analog
or digital realization of a receiver. I do not know where
to point to for a good starting point. I have written many
hundreds of Internet pages on the subject, but all of them
require that the reader has some basic understanding - or
even advanced understanding - on the subject.

All of it is elementary physics, but I do not think I have the
skils to bring newcomers to the first elementary level.

Simple concepts: Voltage, power, transfer function etc.
Complex concepts: AGC, noise blankers, notches, noise reduction etc.
SDR specific: Waterfall graphs and their sensitivity, save
and play recordings from the hard disk etc.

You should not expect these general things in the documentation
of a specific software package. It is general radio knowledge
of today.

Everything is available on the Internet, but I do not know
what URL to point a beginner to...

73

Leif

Some people are just better at explaining as others are better at doing. The "systemic anomaly" here is that people who know, prefer experimenting, having fun, never look back, and leave people who don't know in the dark ages. Here's a typical example ( https://sdr-radio.groups.io/g/main/message/44413 ). The case looks so desperate that no one even attempted to explain anything. I just wonder how much time it will take for a late arriver to establish how SDRs work and how to make sense of all the parameters involved in SDR performance.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 11:59 PM, Leif Asbrink wrote:
A wide open front end is cheaper
but has dynamic range problems....
This is probably the most complicated one ;-)