sticky New Year, New (Sometimes Breaking) Changes

prog

Check the latest SDR# release with a new UI rendering architecture that supports layer composing from multiple plugins using multiple threads. These changes bring a 265% improvement in the UI processing time on average. The plugin API is still the same, but the custom layer painting callbacks will be run from different threads, not just the main UI thread. The resulting scalability allows even more features to be enabled at the same time without compromising the user experience. If some third party plugin misbehaves, it may be time to update it, but in general, the change is transparent for most plugins.

Get the update from: https://airspy.com/download

MELERIX

sadly this version crashes a lot when you move the waterfall spectrum horizontally to change frequency.

prog

It won't crash on its own. If some plugin doesn’t work, disable it.

Magpie

I'll install it tomorrow. Confirm one only has to copy the latest SDRSharp.exe into the SDR# directory to update without loss of settings?

Regards, Henk

prog

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 05:57 PM, Magpie wrote:
Confirm one only has to copy the latest SDRSharp.exe into the SDR# directory to update without loss of settings?
Yes, no need to replace everything this time.

Al Holt

Used the Community Installer and after installation program crashes at startup. Used my regular installation method of creating a 'version' folder, unpacking "Software Defined Radio Package" files there, copied a couple of XML files from previous installation (SDRSharp.Layout, SDRSharp) folder and ran it.

It's working GREAT! Happy New Year!

BTW, I'm receiving WWV on 25 MHz at the moment! So far so good! Thanks for all the great software!!

--Al

MELERIX

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 01:46 PM, prog wrote:
It won't crash on its own. If some plugin doesn’t work, disable it.
confirmed, it happens when plugin for Freq Manager (the one that show the names in the waveform/watefall) when the option to show names is enabled and if you move the waterfall horizontally it causes SDR to crash.

prog

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 07:14 PM, <melerix@...> wrote:
confirmed, it happens when plugin for Freq Manager (the one that show the names in the waveform/watefall) when the option to show names is enabled and if you move the waterfall horizontally it causes SDR to crash.
I think it's easy to fix. I included the latest code for the built-in frequency manager as an example. Basically, it needs locks to protect the displayed list.
@Jeff?

prog

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 07:13 PM, Al Holt wrote:
Used the Community Installer and after installation program crashes at startup. Used my regular installation method of creating a 'version' folder, unpacking "Software Defined Radio Package" files there, copied a couple of XML files from previous installation (SDRSharp.Layout, SDRSharp) folder and ran it.

It's working GREAT! Happy New Year!

BTW, I'm receiving WWV on 25 MHz at the moment! So far so good! Thanks for all the great software!!

--Al
I will spend the upcoming days with the plugin devs to help solving these issues. It was a tough decision to implement the multi-threaded rendering, but the benefits far exceed the effort to fix a few plugins.

Magpie

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 09:49 AM, prog wrote:
On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 05:57 PM, Magpie wrote:
Confirm one only has to copy the latest SDRSharp.exe into the SDR# directory to update without loss of settings?
Yes, no need to replace everything this time.
Copied, thank you. SDR# Is getting better all the time - great work.

Henk

paul.f.jackson@outlook.com

I mainly use my mini for scanning the whole UHF and VHF airbands so I am trying 1834 the wraiths Freq Scanner and Freq Manager along with Audio Recorder as the only plugins and getting random crashes. I only have the spectrum window enabled (no waterfall) but do have the active freq labels from freq manager displayed in the spectrum window. If it is the Wraiths Freq Manager that is to blame for the crashes is there any chance of Prog adding the labels function along with a choice of the font and size to the Manager that comes with SDR#? That would save me running the other manager.

__jmp

I would like to make some contribution to SDR# but it seems that my posts are not making it to the listserv.  can anyone help?!

sdrs.freqmgr@...

Just saw this, apologies for not replying sooner.  I have obligations tomorrow but will at least install the new version in my development environment.  FYI I'm working on ver 2.3 at this time, so if I need to make large changes they'll have to wait for that version; major theming changes are planned anyway.  If I need to do that I'll post here and post a warning on my web site.

Patrick

On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 05:57 PM, Magpie wrote:
Confirm one only has to copy the latest SDRSharp.exe into the SDR# directory to update without loss of settings?
Yes, no need to replace everything this time.

Even if you already run rev 1832 ?
Thanks

Le sam. 1 janv. 2022 à 19:34, Magpie <airspysearcher@...> a écrit :
On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 09:49 AM, prog wrote:
On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 05:57 PM, Magpie wrote:
Confirm one only has to copy the latest SDRSharp.exe into the SDR# directory to update without loss of settings?
Yes, no need to replace everything this time.
Copied, thank you. SDR# Is getting better all the time - great work.

Henk

Patrick

Hi there !

Just downloaded rev 1834 and immediatly noticed that simply using the mouse wheel to tune up / down makes it crash
The culprit is the Frequency Manager plugin. Bad luck.
Back to rev 1832, no such issue.

Collection was modified; enumeration operation may not execute.
at <Unknown>.ThrowHelper.ThrowInvalidOperationException_InvalidOperation_EnumFailedVersion  (IL offset: 0xa)
at SDRSharp.FreqMan.dll.FrequencyManagerPanel.controlInterface_SpectrumCustomPaint  (IL offset: 0x460)
at <Unknown>.CustomPaintEventHandler.Invoke  (IL offset: 0xffffffff)
at <Unknown>.SharpControlProxy.spectrumAnalyzer_CustomPaint  (IL offset: 0x12)
at <Unknown>.MainForm.spectrumAnalyzer_CustomPaint  (IL offset: 0x1b)
at <Unknown>.SpectrumAnalyzer.OnCustomPaint  (IL offset: 0x1e)
at <Unknown>.SpectrumAnalyzer.DrawSpectrum  (IL offset: 0x0)
at <Unknown>.SpectrumAnalyzer.DrawData  (IL offset: 0x0)
at <Unknown>.SpectrumAnalyzer.timer_Elapsed  (IL offset: 0x26c)
at <Unknown>.<>c.<.cctor>b__27_0  (IL offset: 0x0)
at <Unknown>.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop  (IL offset: 0x46)
at <Unknown>.ExceptionDispatchInfo.Throw  (IL offset: 0x11)
at <Unknown>.ExecutionContext.RunFromThreadPoolDispatchLoop  (IL offset: 0x46)
at <Unknown>.TimerQueueTimer.CallCallback  (IL offset: 0x10)
at <Unknown>.TimerQueueTimer.Fire  (IL offset: 0x92)
at <Unknown>.TimerQueueTimer.System.Threading.IThreadPoolWorkItem.Execute  (IL offset: 0x7)
at <Unknown>.ThreadPoolWorkQueue.Dispatch  (IL offset: 0xc)
at <Unknown>.WorkerThread.WorkerThreadStart  (IL offset: 0x67)
at <Unknown>.Thread.StartCallback  (IL offset: 0xe)

Le lun. 3 janv. 2022 à 11:08, Patrick via groups.io <aunumero73=gmail.com@groups.io> a écrit :
On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 05:57 PM, Magpie wrote:
Confirm one only has to copy the latest SDRSharp.exe into the SDR# directory to update without loss of settings?
Yes, no need to replace everything this time.

Even if you already run rev 1832 ?
Thanks

Le sam. 1 janv. 2022 à 19:34, Magpie <airspysearcher@...> a écrit :
On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 09:49 AM, prog wrote:
On Sat, Jan 1, 2022 at 05:57 PM, Magpie wrote:
Confirm one only has to copy the latest SDRSharp.exe into the SDR# directory to update without loss of settings?
Yes, no need to replace everything this time.
Copied, thank you. SDR# Is getting better all the time - great work.

Henk

Dewey

Just thinking out loud and taking a complete shot in the dark… is it possibly due to the fact that the FMSuite requires dot net?

Dewey

[...]

I'm  not running FMSuite, but Frequency Manager plugin v1.1.5.0 by 'thewraith'.
No idea what the problem is though. I only know it occurred between rev 1832 and 1834

Le lun. 3 janv. 2022 à 16:45, Dewey <Dewey3@...> a écrit :

[...]

Dewey - SDR# also requires dot net.

-Jeff from FMSuite

sdrs.freqmgr@...

Edited

I've been running SDR# 1834 and FMSuite's Frequency Manager & Scanner for around half an hour and have had no crashes.  I do see that Wraith's plugin was called out by paul.f.jackson and Patrick for causing their crashes.

-Jeff

Dewey

Thanks Jeff, and agreed.  I made mentioned of the dot net because I thought… maybe thought wrong… that dot net is now incorporated into the SDR# v1832 and up.

Dewey