Topics

New SDR# release r1717 with Telerik UI #announcements #software

prog

Dear Airspy and SDR# users,

This will be a longer mail than usual. We are pleased to announce the release of SDR# r1717 with the Telerik User Interface.
This is quite a big jump from the old UI components that will allow us to add many fancy features in the upcoming revisions.
For now, the functionality of the software was ported "one to one" with full support of the existing plugins.
A new Plugin API for the tool bar was added which allows plugin developers to add/remove special buttons for quick access.
Despite a slightly longer loading time at the startup of the application, many performance improvements should be noticed in run time, especially the CPU usage.
The package is now distributed with a set of skins/themes you can select in the control panel under "Display". Later on, we will add custom skins loading capability so you can customize the look and feel of the whole program.
Please note that some themes have slower rendering than others. You will have to experiment until you settle with something that is acceptable for the eye candy and the CPU usage / UI reactivity.
Some older plugins may not support the "Dark" themes and will have some rendering problems. The last unskinned version of SDR# will be still available for download in case you really need it. In any case, plugin developers are invited to support the new skins by either using Telerik UI components or at least setting the display properties of the old components so they render properly.
That's all for now.

Download as usual from: https://airspy.com/download

Enjoy!

The Airspy Team

David J Taylor

Thanks for that. It's interesting.

I see there are "Windows 7" and "Windows 8" themes. I would like to see a "Windows 10" theme so that all my programs look the same - text font and size, title bar colour and text font etc.

I do prefer the Windows-10, as the characters are slightly thicker and not "wire-like", the items like edit and check boxes are closer together, making better us of the available screen area. In the frequency manager, for example, the New Edit and Delete buttons are much bigger and have lost their icons, there is no dividing vertical line between the Name and Frequency columns, making this all more difficult to use.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

prog

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 01:09 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
I would like to see a "Windows 10" theme
The "Fluent" theme follows the UI guidelines used in Windows 10.
https://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-microsoft-fluent-design-system-wave-one-windows-10

And of course, your other apps may not be strictly following these design guidelines, so they won't show exactly the same.

Patrick

Hi there !

Thanks for the new v1717 release.

Some feedback :
The "problems" I mentionned with running the preview still occur here : the 'Toolbar" plugin is not more visible (next to the frequency at the top of the screen), whatever the theme is.
The text of several plugins does not display with a dark theme (Baseband recorder, Audio recorder, IF recorder, DF8RY Databridge).
The Frequency Manager memories are only visible when running the Visual Studio 2012 dark theme (and off course all the non-dark ones).
See screenshot

Thus, I have to run a light theme or to stick to v1716 if I want to benefit of the Toolbar plugin.

Kind regards,
Patrick

Le jeu. 3 oct. 2019 à 13:25, prog <info@...> a écrit :
On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 01:09 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
I would like to see a "Windows 10" theme
The "Fluent" theme follows the UI guidelines used in Windows 10.
https://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-microsoft-fluent-design-system-wave-one-windows-10

And of course, your other apps may not be strictly following these design guidelines, so they won't show exactly the same.

Kenneth Sejkora

I just installed SDR# r1717 onto a Windows 10 machine.  I like the new skins options.  However, I noticed some strange behavior when using it with a RTD-SDR Version 3 dongle.  If I open SDRSharp with an "original SDRSharp.exe config file, I can select the RTL-SDR(USB) as an input source.  When I open 'Configure Source' I can then set the RF Gain slider to a value of my choice.  However, if I select a gain of 16.6 dB or higher, and then exit SDRSharp, the next time I launch SDRSharp, the RTL-SDR(USB) will no longer be displayed as a selectable "radio" source.

I found that if I manually edit the SDRSharp.exe.Config, I can see that for a slider gain setting of 16.6 dB, there is a corresponding entry for key="rtl.tunerGain" value="11".  If I decrease the gain value to any value less than or equal to 10, then any time I launch SDRSharp, the RTL-SDR(USB) input source is visible and can be selected.  However, any value greater than or equal to 11 will result in the RTL-SDR(USB) no longer being visible as a valid input source.

I never had this issue in previous versions of SDR#, including r1716.  I would be curious to know if other users of RTL-SDR dongles are experiencing similar issues with r1717 of SDR#.

Thanks for such a wonderful program, Youssef.

Ken, WBØOCV
_._,_._,_

prog

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 02:44 PM, Kenneth Sejkora wrote:
I never had this issue in previous versions of SDR#
You don't say! :-) I'll fix when I have some time.

prog

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 02:44 PM, Patrick wrote:
The text of several plugins does not display with a dark theme (Baseband recorder, Audio recorder, IF recorder, DF8RY Databridge).
Time to adapt the plugins. There's a new property in the control interface to tell if the theme is dark or not.

The Frequency Manager memories are only visible when running the Visual Studio 2012 dark theme (and off course all the non-dark ones).
See screenshot
Same. Plugins must be updated to support the dark theme. Things do not happen by magic.

Now the not so good part:
The "Toolbar" plugin was taking over an area of the display by hacking the main form. As I said many times, this kind of hacks is not accepted and will not live forever because the application evolves and will break your plugin unless you use the official API. Now we have a proper toolbar API as per the announcement. The Toolbar plugin should be refactored to use this API. Also, other plugins can add their own quick controls to the Toolbar.

Patrick

Thanks for the quick and detailed.
My feedback was in no way a criticism. I am aware that this update may take time. I just wanted to indicate the plugins that still had some flaws in case you didn't know about them.

From: prog

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 01:09 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
I would like to see a "Windows 10" themeThe "Fluent" theme follows the UI guidelines used in Windows 10.
https://www.windowscentral.com/whats-new-microsoft-fluent-design-system-wave-one-windows-10

And of course, your other apps may not be strictly following these design guidelines, so they won't show exactly the same.
==================================

Youssef,

I'm comparing with other programs - Microsoft programs - such as the File Manager, Notepad etc. This "Fluent" might be OK for tablets or phones, but it's not best suited to my desktop. I'll stick with "Windows 8" for now, but I hope that someone (perhaps me) can make something better once the Telerik Visual Style Builder is available.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Mitch

1717 installed.  Very pretty!

I had the Sample Rate menu open in the Radio controls area, then switched to another window on my Win10 system.  The Sampe Rate menu (only) maintained top Z order on top of the newly enabled window and going back to 1717 caused a crash of itself.

prog

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 03:25 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
This "Fluent" might be OK for tablets or phones
Fluent is the default desktop theme in Windows 10. Did you read the link?

Christof Proft

Hi folks,

r1717 works like a charm. The only thing not working for me is the "toolbar" plugin. The mode buttons will no longer show up.

vy73
chris

prog

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 06:05 PM, Uwe S. wrote:
the new version SDRSharp 1717 does not allow the plugin Toolbox, there is a solution.
Please, READ the mailing list before posting duplicates.

David J Taylor

From: prog

Fluent is the default desktop theme in Windows 10. Did you read the link?
==============================

Prog,

It's not the desktop I have in front of me on nine Windows-10 PCs here some of which have been installed from scratch, others upgraded - so I am grateful to have been spared!

But my point remains - if the user has customised the colours etc. because of their own visual needs, it would be better if the program at least had the option to use the theme which the user had specified. A program should adapt to the users colours, not trample all over their settings.

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

prog

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 06:29 PM, David J Taylor wrote:
It's not the desktop I have in front of me on nine Windows-10 PCs here some of which have been installed from scratch, others upgraded - so I am grateful to have been spared!

But my point remains - if the user has customised the colours etc. because of their own visual needs, it would be better if the program at least had the option to use the theme which the user had specified.
OK. Let me explain again: There is a finite number of built-in themes supplied with the UI library. When the custom themes capability is fully developed, please feel free to create one using the program I linked in the announcement and share the result with the rest of us.

A program should adapt to the users colours, not trample all over their settings.
That was true in the Win32 era with a default and unique way of displaying Win32 UI controls. Actually, it was more a limitation rather than a feature, and that's why all old Win32 programs still follow whatever the OS defaults to.
If you use Visual Studio, you would already notice that none of the used UI elements are standard Win32 controls. Same for Office programs, web browsers, the OS' own configuration panel and even the calculator.

David J Taylor

From: prog
[]
Let me explain again: There is a finite number of built-in themes supplied with the UI library. When the custom themes capability is fully developed, please feel free to create one using the program I linked in the announcement and share the result with the rest of us.

A program should adapt to the users colours, not trample all over their settings.
That was true in the Win32 era with a default and unique way of displaying Win32 UI controls. Actually, it was more a limitation rather than a feature, and that's why all old Win32 programs still follow whatever the OS defaults to.
If you use Visual Studio, you would already notice that none of the used UI elements are standard Win32 controls. Same for Office programs, web browsers, the OS' own configuration panel and even the calculator.
=================================

Thanks, Youssef. We'll just have to disagree on the benefits of the new UI, but it's a done fact now.

All the stuff I've written recently in Visual Studio have actually been command-line programs and DLLs!

Cheers,
David
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-taylor@...
Twitter: @gm8arv

Edward MacDonald

Prog is correct about the toolbar plugin and this plugin was created in error by me in ignorance of the social contract and my reading about the history of losers stealing code from Prog wih SDR# and from trying to code what users asked me to.

This is in part because if my lack of knowledge of the history of SDR# and by not asking enough questions and researching properly.

As a result of this is I have permanately removed the plugins which used these methods to be complaint with Progs social contract and to maintain good faith with Prog.

This means the toolbar and Night Mode plugins are PERMANATELY REMOVED from my website and will be NO LONGER SUPPORTED. I suggest you uninstall and delete them from your setup.

I applaud Prog for his efforts to accomadate toolbars and themes in his application. This will open far more benefits than my toolbar would have.

I will remake the more useful parts of the toolbar under the new API if possible, if users wish.

Thank you to Prog for explaining all of this and for allowing me to still participate in the community.

I am sure his new API will allow for far better implementations of buttons than my plugin ever would have and is sustainable as well.

I will be updating all my remaining "legal" plugins to ensure compatibility with the latest version of SDR# in the next few days.

Eddie

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019, 10:52 AM prog, <info@...> wrote:
[...]

Edited

Hi Eddy. You can register the same toolbars using ISharpControl.RegisterFrontControl(yourUserControl, PluginPosition.ToolBar);
Once registered, you can display/hide it using the Visible property. The toolbar will adapt.
Tip: Remember to set the Anchors property to None.

Edward MacDonald

Thanks so much Prog.

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019, 1:31 PM prog, <info@...> wrote:
Hi Eddy. You can register the same toolbars using ISharpControl.RegisterFrontControl(yourUserControl, PluginPosition.ToolBar);
Once registered, you can display/hide it using the Visible property. The toolbar will adapt.

py3ol - Alan

it was very good ....