New major SDR# release 1853, unskinned update?

Kai

On 21/01/2022 4:10 pm, prog wrote:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 09:07 AM, Les Rayburn wrote:
Is it possible to update from version .1820 to .1853 by replacing
the sdrsharp.exe and shark.dll files? Apologies for the newbie
question.
Yes, no problems.
Firstly, happy new year to all from far North Western Australia!

The new version sounds great, thank you to Youssef and the awesome coding team for the improvements!

I'm using the unskinned version because it works so much better on the old Dell E6510 laptop I have available, but the most recent unskinned version available for download is 1716.

I use my SDR with the GLobalTuners radio network (www.globaltuners.com), I've been on the network since 1997 when it was called Javaradio, the unskinned 1716 is the only version I can find which works with the GlobalTuners SDR plugin.
In case anyone wishes to check the plugins, they're:
Version 1337
https://download.globaltuners.com/SDRSharp%20URadioServer%20plugin.zip
and
Version 1444
https://download.globaltuners.com/sdrsharp1444-uradioserver.zip

Are there any plans to also update the unskinned version?
Thank you for any assistance which may be provided.

6vc8

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 02:33 PM, Kai wrote:

1716 is the only version I can find which works with the GlobalTuners SDR
plugin.
Why waste resources on sdrsharp if your use is with globaltuners? Ivo's own drivers for the various rtl devices are more efficient.

prog

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 03:33 PM, Kai wrote:
I use my SDR with the GLobalTuners radio network (www.globaltuners.com), I've been on the network since 1997 when it was called Javaradio, the unskinned 1716 is the only version I can find which works with the GlobalTuners SDR plugin.
In case anyone wishes to check the plugins, they're:
Version 1337
https://download.globaltuners.com/SDRSharp%20URadioServer%20plugin.zip
and
Version 1444
https://download.globaltuners.com/sdrsharp1444-uradioserver.zip
Check this patched build. It doesn't take much to fix these things.

https://airspy.com/downloads/GlobalTunersPlugin.zip

Are there any plans to also update the unskinned version?
Only if you are willing to install and use it with Windows 3.11.

prog

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 04:38 PM, 6vc8 wrote:
Why waste resources on sdrsharp if your use is with globaltuners? Ivo's own drivers for the various rtl devices are more efficient.
I have no idea what that system does, but I can see it uses pure managed .net code. You may want to fix your perception of "resources" and "efficiency".

6vc8

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 03:51 PM, prog wrote:

I have no idea what that system does, but I can see it uses pure managed .net
code. You may want to fix your perception of "resources" and "efficiency".
Not really....sdrsharp is generally used to provide the driver for the rtl device so it can be used with the globaltuners website. You aren't leveraging the flexability and features of sdrsharp in that situation....you are just wasting computing resources.

On the other hand, if you are using something like a HF+ Discovery (which might not work with GT drivers...no idea) then why limit your online users to the good, but very old and limited functionality of GT when it could be used with spyserver and sdrsharp

prog

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 05:12 PM, 6vc8 wrote:
Not really....sdrsharp is generally used to provide the driver for the rtl device so it can be used with the globaltuners website. You aren't leveraging the flexability and features of sdrsharp in that situation....you are just wasting computing resources.

On the other hand, if you are using something like a HF+ Discovery (which might not work with GT drivers...no idea) then why limit your online users to the good, but very old and limited functionality of GT when it could be used with spyserver and sdrsharp
The assemblies I patched are dated from 2016. That's quite old in the SDR# "dog life" scale. I am not sure why would anyone use SDR# as a driver, but the API is there and it's pretty stable. I only had to update the plugin to reference some types from the URadioServer renamed from .exe to .dll.

6vc8

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 04:43 PM, prog wrote:

I am not sure why would anyone use SDR# as a driver
In the past it supported receiver types which GT itself didn't so it effectively provided the driver...rest of the functionality and pretty display irrelavent.
These days GT supports ExtIO
I've no idea if decent HF+ ExtIOI drivers are available but if not then the only option would be via sdrsharp as a driver interface still.

prog

On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 06:02 PM, 6vc8 wrote:
self didn't so it effectively provided the driver...rest of the functionality and pretty display irrelavent.
These days GT supports ExtIO
I've no idea if decent HF+ ExtIOI drivers are available but if not then the only option would be via sdrsharp as a driver interface still.
Makes sense now.

Kai

On 21/01/2022 11:49 pm, prog wrote:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 03:33 PM, Kai wrote:
I use my SDR with the GLobalTuners radio network
(www.globaltuners.com), I've been on the network since 1997 when it
was called Javaradio, the unskinned 1716 is the only version I can
find which works with the GlobalTuners SDR plugin.
In case anyone wishes to check the plugins, they're:
Version 1337
https://download.globaltuners.com/SDRSharp%20URadioServer%20plugin.zip
<https://download.globaltuners.com/SDRSharp%20URadioServer%20plugin.zip>
and
Version 1444
https://download.globaltuners.com/sdrsharp1444-uradioserver.zip
<https://download.globaltuners.com/sdrsharp1444-uradioserver.zip>
Check this patched build. It doesn't take much to fix these things.
https://airspy.com/downloads/GlobalTunersPlugin.zip <https://airspy.com/downloads/GlobalTunersPlugin.zip>
Great, thanks Youssef, I'll check it out as soon as I can.

Are there any plans to also update the unskinned version?
Only if you are willing to install and use it with Windows 3.11
Hahaha, fair enough!

Kai

On 22/01/2022 12:12 am, 6vc8 wrote:
On Fri, Jan 21, 2022 at 03:51 PM, prog wrote:

I have no idea what that system does, but I can see it uses pure managed .net
code. You may want to fix your perception of "resources" and "efficiency".
Not really....sdrsharp is generally used to provide the driver for the rtl device so it can be used with the globaltuners website. You aren't leveraging the flexability and features of sdrsharp in that situation....you are just wasting computing resources.
On the other hand, if you are using something like a HF+ Discovery (which might not work with GT drivers...no idea) then why limit your online users to the good, but very old and limited functionality of GT when it could be used with spyserver and sdrsharp
GT website says "You can install the GlobalTuners RadioServer as an SDRSharp plugin. This will allow the RadioServer software to take control of SDRSharp and its high quality SDR algorithms,"

According to that the plugin DOES allow users to access the high quality SDR features.

Why still use GT? I've been a node operator for GT back when it started in 1997 as Javaradio, I made contact with the Swedish software engineer about some other things and it ended up developing into the Javaradio network. I have a user base from that who enjoy the set-up as is, I think mostly because of the chat feature in GlobalTuners interface so they can be all logged in at the same time and discuss what they're listening to.
I have some VHF FM DX geeks who login regularly and enjoy it.

When time and other things permit I'm going to get another HF Discovery + YouLoop and install as an SDR remote so any of our friends on list who wish to tune in to North Western Australia can do so.

My location (Broome, Western Australia) happens to be a perfect spot for an ADSB Spy so that's the other thing on my geek to-do list.